PDA

View Full Version : 4 Stix

TheFloyd
08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
I am going to see a led zep cover band tomorrow in a park.

It's free so I though why the hell not? Hopefully it's a perfect day to enjoy some rockin' tunes.

Deja Vu
08-16-2006, 12:58 PM
That's awesome! I've seen bands cover Zep but I've never had the pleasure of seeing a tribute band before.

TheFloyd
08-18-2006, 01:01 AM
They were awesome!!!

When I heard them walking up to it, I really thought I was listening to a loud radio playing real Led Zep, they were spot on!

The lead singer looks nothing like Plant or anyone that could sing like Plant, but hell, he sang almost perfectly!

The guitarist was masterful! He played it all with ease and with a great personality!

The drummer was loose and loud, missing some little things I picked up on, but he was fantastic as well.

The bassist was great too, no complaints there.

They played:

Good Times, Bad Times
What is and What Never Should Be
Ramble On
Kashmir (the wind instruments were done by a keyboard, which was strange, but satisfactory, especially when the rest of the band played it perfectly).
Stairway to Heaven (probably the worst song they did actually, just because I never like live versions of it)
When the Levee Breaks
Whole Lotta Love (the best piece they did. They did a nice jam session with the guitarist doing tons of crazy things with this piece of equipment that looked like an antenna. It made crazy sounds when he got close to it and did stuff with his hands.)
Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin' Maid
Black Dog
Moby Dick (the drummer was great, very nice long solo)
Bring it all Home

I might have forgotten like 1, but it was so good!

Check out their website at www.four-sticks.com. They have some audio clips (which I haven't heard yet), but if they are llike what they played today, then you should be impressed too).

TheFloyd
08-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh, just to reiterate, this was free! I would pay like $15 to hear them again.

Runtfan
08-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Whole Lotta Love (the best piece they did. They did a nice jam session with the guitarist doing tons of crazy things with this piece of equipment that looked like an antenna. It made crazy sounds when he got close to it and did stuff with his hands.)

That antenna-looking thing is a theremin. Basically, you control the pitch by moving your hands closer or further away from the antenna.
Our guitarist uses it in Whole Lotta Love too. It's easy to play - our guitarist often has people from the audience come up and play it during Whole Lotta Love - and you can find them pretty cheap if you look around a little bit. Our guitarist got his for $50 on E-bay.

Cult
08-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Jimmy Page itself played that too. It was invented 1919 by a Russian Leon Theremin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

TheFloyd
08-18-2006, 12:15 PM

That antenna-looking thing is a theremin. Basically, you control the pitch by moving your hands closer or further away from the antenna.
Our guitarist uses it in Whole Lotta Love too. It's easy to play - our guitarist often has people from the audience come up and play it during Whole Lotta Love - and you can find them pretty cheap if you look around a little bit. Our guitarist got his for $50 on E-bay.

Ah, that's the thing that Carl Wilson used in Good Vibrations. I had heard of it, just never seen one before.

Yeah, this guy let the audience do stuff with it too, cool stuff.

Deja Vu
08-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Set list looks cooler. I'd love to see it.

Audience participation theremin? *thumbs up*

RamboII
08-18-2006, 07:59 PM
It's most popular for being used in old scifi movies from the 50s...and Tim Burton's Mars Attacks.

phantasm777
08-18-2006, 09:11 PM
actually, i dont recall what show it was on, i saw mike love playing it for good vibrations it was made flat like a hawaiian guitar, and on 4 legs and he used something in his handand slid it across the theremin, mustve been a specially made one cause it was NOT a hawiian slide guitar, and it sounded exactly like a theremin.

TheFloyd
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Well I know I posted a link to their website and on it there are some audio downloads there.

I hope none of you downloaded them and then thought I was insane for saying they sound just like the real thing because they must have shaped up big time between the two or three years they made these samples and the concert I attended a week ago.

They are SOOOO much better now. Much truer to the original versions and much cleaner with the guitar and drum parts.

So while the samples are nice, what I heard was definitely more satisfying.