PDA

View Full Version : Zooma - John Paul Jones

monkeypigeon
05-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Was never able to find it the shops so I had to order it off play.com . But my god is it good. I have alot of the Rob Planto and Jimmy Page solo stuff and all the stuff they did together but for me this is by far the best. Amazing bass and arrangments, best post-Zeppelin recording I've heard from any member.... Anybody else have it? What do you think?

APageMark
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I have it also. Strangely, it sat unwrapped for about a year before I finally played it! It's quite good, Jones is a master multi-intrumentalist and a great arranger. Every song has something different to recommend.

I'm anxious to hear his follow-up, "The Thunderthief" which, from what I've read, is twice as good. (I read that the bass-line that runs through the title track rivals anything unleased by Entwistle, Claypool, etc.)

monkeypigeon
05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
I have it also. Strangely, it sat unwrapped for about a year before I finally played it! It's quite good, Jones is a master multi-intrumentalist and a great arranger. Every song has something different to recommend.

I'm anxious to hear his follow-up, "The Thunderthief" which, from what I've read, is twice as good. (I read that the bass-line that runs through the title track rivals anything unleased by Entwistle, Claypool, etc.)

If it's as good as Les Claypool's stuff then it must be something very special. All I know about the second album is that it has vocals.....

G3TTH3L3DOUT
05-12-2007, 08:36 PM

If it's as good as Les Claypool's stuff then it must be something very special. All I know about the second album is that it has vocals.....

The Thunderthief is pretty good. I find that the overall songwriting isn't quite as strong. However, you do have some great tracks on it. When you hear his playing and the arrangements, you can see what he brought to Zep. However, when you listen for the lyrics, you can tell exactly what he didn't bring.

infidel
05-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I prefer Thunderthief but they're both excellent. I got to see him at a small club when he toured for Zooma. Excellent stuff live!! He's just so freaking talented it's not funny. Stood 10 feet from him through the whole show. Amazing.

He also has a soundtrack for a movie called Scream For Help that's really good, but I think it's out of print now.

Edited to add...
Whoa, according to amazon.com I can get $175 for my copy!!

http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Help-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B0000088F8

monkeypigeon
05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
He also has a soundtrack for a movie called Scream For Help that's really good, but I think it's out of print now.

Edited to add...
Whoa, according to amazon.com I can get $175 for my copy!!

http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Help-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B0000088F8

I will give you $1 for it:smokin:

Quadrophenic73
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I can't say I'm a huge Zooma fan, but I listen to it now and then because John Paul is so good, it's freaky! It's one of those albums that proves there is more to being a bassist than being a disgruntled ex-guitar player.
Oh yeah, and The Sporting Life with Diamanda Galas is a good listen, too.

RON WILSON
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
don't have this disc. but i would have to guess it's very good.
"john paul jones" never got his due as far as i am concerned
back in the "daze" of "led zeppelin". his hammond b-3 solo on
"you shook me" from the first record blows me away everytime it
is played.

Runtfan
06-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I've got Zooma and I think it's overall pretty good. What's incredible to me is the sounds of the instruments and how well they're recorded. I think the writing is just so so - I think he had alot of good ideas and didn't really flesh them out well enough, but he lays down some great grooves and gets awesome sounds from his array of instruments.