PDA

View Full Version : Coverdale Page

Noodlez
05-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Anyone else heard it? What do you think? There are some good Zeppelin-esque rockers on there...and Coverdale sounds like a good Plant when he wants to. It's a little heavy on the slow stuff/ballads but some of it would have worked well on Zep's late 70s stuff as there are all sorts of nods to their previous work. There's no denying that 'Shake My Tree' & 'Absolution Blues' flat out rock.

Cindylea
05-07-2005, 11:30 PM
As far as I know, they only did that one album (I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny that one) It's a good album IMO, some Zeppelin purists may disagree, but I liked it.

Aceman
05-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that one album was the only collaboration between Coverdale & Page. I do remember that Robert Plant was quite fond of referring to "David Coverversion" at the time ;)

Noodlez
05-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Yeah it got shat all over by Plant. Coverdale & Plant went after each other in the news for a little while. Maybe that's what Page wanted all along who knows. It's not bad it just doesn't have enough rockers, but the ones on there are good.

p.s.
no way of confirming this as it was a collaboration project, but I expect on Page's part, that alot of those songs were written with Plant in mind.

Fever Dog
05-07-2005, 11:50 PM
I bought it and liked it.

Aceman
05-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I still have the CD, but I never really listened to it much... I'm more familiar with Plant's solo albums.

Runtfan
05-08-2005, 01:27 AM
At one time I had the CD. I don't remember what happened to it. The one song that really stuck with me was "Shake My Tree". The rest was just OK.
I had tickets to go see them and then they cancelled the rest of the tour or something.

70sKid
05-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Have and love the album - Don't Leave Me This Way, & Take Me For A Little While rock!!

kath
05-08-2005, 10:03 AM
i wasn't too wild about it when it came out (i think i was in plant denial), but i listened to it again a few months ago, and i really luvved it.

kath
funny, how time can do that.

Wayne
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I'd like to hear the Coverdale/Page album when I get the chance since I know why he did the album because Plant probably didn't want to do it at the time which is why he got former Deep Purple/Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale who is a soundalike & second rate clone which is why this album is kind of a novelty in Zeppelin history!!!

alex
05-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I preferred Jimmy's collaberation with the other Teessider myself.....The Firm were a decent effort...saw them at Middlesbrough Town Hall but it was spoilt a bit by eqipment problems....Paul Rodgers is a far better singer than the 'Redcar T Shirt Seller' but he's OK in small doses....:beer:

MrEd48
12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
"Coverdale/Page" was a solid, more-than-decent album that received - in my non-humble opinion - a huge degree of undeserved, unmerited criticism.
Plant's reaction to it was comletely ridiculous as he was the one who'd been either turning down or ignoring offers from Page for them to work together.

zen
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Agreed.

David Coverdale who is a soundalike & second rate clone which is why this album is kind of a novelty in Zeppelin history!!!

A second rate clone? Not even a first rate clone?

Anyway, the two singers sound nothing alike. I remember back in '74 thinking Coverdale's no Ian Gillan, but I didn't think he was a Robert Plant clone that's for sure.

CT GIRL
01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I have it and still listen to it:headbange

G3TTH3L3DOUT
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
It's a pretty decent record. Definitely a positive for Jimmy coming off the oft-ridiculed Outrider. Coverdale doesn't distract me too much, as he is a decent singer. Shake My Tree (at least the music of it) was written for Physical Graffiti, so it is no surprise that was the big song on the album.

I wonder how many other great/unused riffs Jimmy has...

tbejammin
01-23-2007, 03:24 PM
hey coverdale is coverdale what can you say and plant is a rock god apples and oranges can't compare

G3TTH3L3DOUT
01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
hey coverdale is coverdale what can you say and plant is a rock god apples and oranges can't compare

You can compare Plant and Coverdale. I think they are clearly going for the same thing, only Plant has the chops.

flipflop
01-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I bought it upon release and still crank it now and then - was a bit disappointed when it first came out, must admit, but it's grown on me since then. Can't really bitch about the playing on there, imo. And one of the ballads is a really good one, Take me for a little while, I really like dat one.

heavyhery
05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
coverdale still can sing.plant cant sing no more

CosmicDancer
05-27-2007, 03:58 PM
I own the album and it has some good numbers (Shake My Tree, Prid and Joy, Absolution Blues) and a few that are absolute garbage (Feeling Hot, Take a Look at Yourself). Coverdale isn't too bad on here but he can't touch Plant. The worst thing about the record for me is the band. Very soulless. Just sounds like studio hacks collecting a pay check.

MsHiFi
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I remember when Coverdale/Page was released but didn't buy a copy until a few years ago.

I was at a used CD shop and it was in with the "budget CD's"!

I like it pretty well. If I'm being critical about music, I tend to listen to music in a vacuum so whatever problems people had with Coverdale/Page at the time it was released, I don't hear it in the music.

Four Sticks
07-21-2007, 03:20 AM
I bought it when it first came out. I liked it alot, and I still listen to it today. The most ironic thing is, is that Plant bashed it so bad, and then later he went on tour with jimmy page along with an orchestra, and as part of the set list, he ended up singing Shake my Tree, and I believe Pride and Joy also. Can't remember for sure, twas a long time ago. But you could tell he did not put his full effort into singing those 2 songs.(I think that was the last time they toured together if i remember right) It was a great show though!