PDA

View Full Version : Most Talented Member in Zepp

disraelimoon
08-30-2005, 03:13 AM
Who was the most talented member in Led Zeppelin, a group that "dominated" the dream band poll a month or so ago?

NewDawnFades
08-30-2005, 03:18 AM
Page was the most 'multi-talented'. Bonham had the most talent with his instrument IMO.

Harold
08-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Though sometimes bombastic, unbridled, and over-the-top I would give the nod to Bonham though Jones and Page were among the best on their instruments.

I wonder if Bonham and Moon ever got high together and discussed Krupa, Rich, Baker, and Danelli.

ilash
08-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Probably Jimmy Page but it may well be just because I think it's he who is responsible for the production and arrangements on a Zep album, the two things that are actually Zeppelin's greatest strengths. Oh and he sure can play that guitar (too much at times).

KC
08-30-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm going for John Paul Jones, the most underrated member of the band.

Larry's Mermaid
08-30-2005, 09:28 AM

Me, too. :smile:

yarstruly
08-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I was close to saying JPJ, but Page also has compositional and arranging & production talents galore....Page by a hair....

xiardoff
08-30-2005, 10:15 AM

Ditto.

Music Director
08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
For me it was toss up between Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. I went with John Paul Jones because he is generally underrated and people seem to be very aware of Page's work but not too aware of Jones' work. He's been pretty active post Zeppelin but most people wouldn't know it.

I especially was impressed with his arrangements on R.E.M.'s phenomenal Automatic For The People. John Paul Jones deserves a lot more recognition than he gets. I think he's more versatile than Page - who I personally feel is the best guitarist, but that's another thread. ;)

Wayne
08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I picked Page because he's one of the greatest rock guitarist of all time who DEFINED Zeppelin in their music & in their image with Bonham a close second.

Deja Vu
08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Well - Jimmy Page was one of the best producers and guitar players ever. But I try not to seperate the members of Zep - as Led Zeppelin they beat all opponents but who knows what would have happened if they hadn't been Led Zeppelin. It just seems like the group members brought out the best in each other.

FoulSanctity
08-31-2005, 12:30 AM
Musically-speaking, Jones. He could play the most instruments and I believe he had the most "formal" training.

disraelimoon
08-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Just a question, but to the person who picked Plant, was that a lyrical thing, a vocal thing, or a harmonica thing? I'm not bashing, just curious.

Runtfan
08-31-2005, 12:46 AM
I voted for John Paul Jones. In the context of only Led Zeppelin, I'd give the nod to Page because Zeppelin was HIS vision and he was the producer and guiding force behind the group, BUT overall I'd say Jones is more talented, certainly more versatile and, since Zeppelin disbanded, has done alot of producing and arranging and behind the scenes type stuff. Page is no dummy - he knew what he was doing in recruiting Jones for Led Zeppelin.

That 70s Guy
08-31-2005, 05:58 AM
Page

cooperfan
08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Just a question, but to the person who picked Plant, was that a lyrical thing, a vocal thing, or a harmonica thing? I'm not bashing, just curious.
That was me. I know many will disagree but I feel Plant deserved a vote. For excellent vocals, songwriting, harmonica, tambourine ( ;) ) and career longevity. I also understand that he could play guitar pretty good as well as bass. I suppose he is not the most talented, but he deserves a vote imo.

hogfat
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM

I almost went there as well, but after some thought I went with Page.

:beer:

flipflop
08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Page for being the visionary and driving force of the band and indeed the guy who picked the members realizing the talent of the others. It takes talent to know talent :tongue:

And because he's the damn guitarist :tongue: :jam:

StellarCat
08-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Jones. I saw him play and he was amazing. Hand him an instrument, and he can play, and play it well.

zeppboy
08-31-2005, 05:58 PM
:thumbsup:

They were all incredibly talented in my opinion.

peacethrumusic
09-01-2005, 03:39 PM
voted for Page but Bonham was to the drums what Jimmy was to the guitar

Snookeroo
09-01-2005, 05:55 PM
JPJ - I believe he was a very active studio guy before Zep even existed.

Zeppelina
09-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I would say the four members of led Zeppelin were talented...but John paul jones deserves the title as the most talented. the guy not only plays bass guitar like a god, but also is a fantastic keyboard player, not to mention his mandolin playing and he even sings!! (check out the thunderthief) well, his singing might not be his strongest feature but the guy sure rocks. I admire his abilities and persona.