Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (http://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   Main Rock Lounge (http://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   100 Greatest Guitarists (http://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=59387)

MusicLover7 11-19-2017 02:12 AM

100 Greatest Guitarists

Find out who our panel of top guitarists and other experts picked

We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else. Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison and more.

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li..._content=daily

dwill123 11-19-2017 01:25 PM

Re: 100 Greatest Guitarists

I see the Rolling Stone annual popularity contest didn't fail to shoot low on the radar again this year. John McLaughlin:68, Leslie West:66 and Joe Walsh:54 (although the fact that Frank Zappa and Robert Fripp even made the list should be of some note). As usual the most notable are those that made the list vs. those that didn't.

MIA (I might have missed these but I don't remember seeing them)
Terry Kath
Ronnie Wood
Peter Frampton
Martin Barre
Dave Mason
Rick Derringer
Steve Howe
and countless others

MIA Honorable Mention
Glen Buxton/Michael Bruce
Sam Andrew/James Gurley

BeatlesFan3287 11-20-2017 12:29 AM

Saw the Sex Pistols guy ahead of Alex Lifeson. Stopped reading.

lancer42678 11-20-2017 01:52 AM

There is no way that piece of garbage Keith Richards is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen. Are you kidding me. Can he just OD please. The Rolling Stones are the N'Snyc of the 70's.

Black Night 11-20-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer42678 (Post 1273264)
There is no way that piece of garbage Keith Richards is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen. Are you kidding me. Can he just OD please. The Rolling Stones are the N'Snyc of the 70's.

What sort of nonsense is this?

kw21925 11-20-2017 03:32 PM

As usual, I have serious disagreements with this list. Neil Young is 40 spots ahead of Rory Gallagher? As a guitarist? Eddie Van Halen and Chuck Berry are better guitarists than Jeff Beck? Sweet suffering Jesus.

lancer42678 11-21-2017 01:06 AM

Totally agree. Thank You

hightea 11-22-2017 04:17 AM

68. John McLaughlin
"polyglot mastery earned him huge respect from jazz and rock peers alike: Jeff Beck called him "the best guitarist alive.""
Jeff Beck rate number 5. :scratch:

Sorry just saw two of my favorite guitarist in the past two weeks. Much better than their placement on this list.
Mclaughlin

Fripp

Tkitna 11-22-2017 02:06 PM

Springsteen ahead of Alex Lifeson? Ok

APageMark 11-22-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatlesFan3287 (Post 1273263)
Saw the Sex Pistols guy ahead of Alex Lifeson. Stopped reading.

:lol:

APageMark 11-22-2017 03:53 PM

Where. Is. Buck. Dharma?

zen 11-27-2017 12:09 AM

BS via RS.