Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Reviews & Articles
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Reviews & Articles Member reviews & articles. Write or share a review or article about anything music related.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $51587
Give Thanks: 416
Remembering Meredith Hunter, the Fan Killed at Altamont

An excerpt from the upcoming book ĎJust a Shot Awayí tells the chilling story of a black teenagerís death at the infamous fest Ė and the toll it took on his family

Saul Austerlitzís new book Just a Shot Away: Peace, Love, and Tragedy With the Rolling Stones at Altamont is the story of the concert that was going to be the West Coast Woodstock, and another triumph of the 1960s counterculture. Looking at the musicians, fans, filmmakers, bikers and journalists present that day, the book Ė out Tuesday Ė places the legendarily disastrous show in the context of the political and social changes of the era. In this excerpt, Austerlitz focuses on Meredith Hunter, the 18-year-old African-American man who never returned home from the show. Gimme Shelter, the legendary documentary by Albert and David Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin, had shown moviegoers the moment of his death, but what did we know of the last day of his life?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...tamont-630260/
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3398
Give Thanks: 117
Re: Remembering Meredith Hunter, the Fan Killed at Altamont

From the tone of this article, and presumably the book it's excerpted from, you would think Meredith Hunter was just minding his own business, enjoying the concert, when the Angels murdered him.

In fact, he was waving a loaded gun around in the crowd, and according to some witnesses, may have actually fired a round before the Angels jumped on him.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw21925 View Post

In fact, he was waving a loaded gun around in the crowd, and according to some witnesses, may have actually fired a round before the Angels jumped on him.
Jumped on him? He was stabbed and then beaten to death.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
kw21925

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover7 View Post
Jumped on him? He was stabbed and then beaten to death.
Yes, they jumped on him, and stabbed and beat him to death.

And, he was waving a gun around in a crowd, and according to some witness accounts, may have fired a round.

The Angels were hired to provide security. Obviously, they were not trained security personnel, they were drunken thugs.

Hunter, from what I understand, was a gang member and meth dealer. Why he brought a loaded gun to a rock festival is anybody's guess.

Not every incident has clear-cut good guys and bad guys. Sometimes they're all bad guys.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Not every incident has clear-cut good guys and bad guys. Sometimes they're all bad guys.
That statement sounds like a Trumpism.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
kw21925

Quote:
That statement sounds like a Trumpism.
So what is your take on the Altamont incident, since you obviously don't agree with mine?

Rest assured, I have no love for Donald Trump. Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the SOB, I voted for the candidate the people elected. But the Electoral College, whoever the hell they are, disagreed.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #7
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Quote:
So what is your take on the Altamont incident, since you obviously don't agree with mine?

Rest assured, I have no love for Donald Trump. Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the SOB, I voted for the candidate the people elected. But the Electoral College, whoever the hell they are, disagreed.
I don't know why Meredith Hunter was carrying a gun and I don't condone it, but he didn't deserve to be brutally murdered. If my memory serves me right the gun was never even fired and the Hells Angels actually brutally attacked him twice, the first time when he tried to rush the stage without the gun, and the second time when he tried to rush the stage with the gun.

In my opinion The Stones and the Hells Angels were both guilty of negligent homicide.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 AM   #8
kw21925

Quote:
I don't know why Meredith Hunter was carrying a gun and I don't condone it, but he didn't deserve to be brutally murdered. If my memory serves me right the gun was never even fired and the Hells Angels actually brutally attacked him twice, the first time when he tried to rush the stage without the gun, and the second time when he tried to rush the stage with the gun.

In my opinion The Stones and the Hells Angels were both guilty of negligent homicide.
Plenty of blame to go around, I'll give you that.

And please don't link me with Donald Trump ever again. He makes my skin crawl and my blood boil. And that's when I'm in a good mood.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Quote:
And please don't link me with Donald Trump ever again. He makes my skin crawl and my blood boil. And that's when I'm in a good mood.
Sorry!
These Users say Thanks to MusicLover7: