Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 60's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

60's Discuss your favorite classic rock & pop from the 60's.

View Poll Results: Who is the better band?
Buffalo Springfield 25 42.37%
Yardbirds 34 57.63%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
MeanMr.Mustard
Psychedelic Hippie

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Buffalo Springfield vs The Yardbirds

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=g...Uc&search=1965

Roger the Engineer is a terrific album, The Yardbirds!
MeanMr.Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #20
Jimbo
Classic Rocker

Yardbirds

--------------------
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 AM   #21
Terry Zanter
Classic Rocker

Yardbirds
Terry Zanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:37 AM   #22
phantasm777

no question, the yardbirds. when they added beck they got a little harder edged. then add thier rave-ups they did live, and carried on while adding jimmy page and for a brief time had beck and page guitaring at the same time for them. see the film "blow up" for that historic jam.

then beck gets in a motorcycle accident, i believe, and goes on his own after recovery. page brings his style and very young flying fingers in and they take another turn a bit psychedelic, but still hard rockin blues too, which eventually developed into led zeppelin.

the last yardbirds gig was recorded in may 68 (which i play on my radio station), with page on guitar and using his BOW on a song called I'm confused (which was dazed and confused BEFORE zep was formed) and on I'm a man in which you can hear a very moody middle interlude and keith relph singing in ways that made you understand why he later formed Renaissance. and died all too young of electrocution playing his guitar while being in a band called armageddond which was hard rock, if not heavy metal.

a few months after the yardbirds last gig, page got plant (he originally wanted paul rodgers) jones and bonzo. (trivia: on donovon's sunshine superman in 68 page, bonzo and jones played on that sore of precurser to zep.)

they had to do a few gigs as the new yardbirds because of contract obligations, then went as led zeppelin soon after, like not even 2 months and there are many live boot legs thereafter of zep pre their first lp. of which they play much blues, some never played by them again.

the yardbirds have a spot in rock history that is phenominal even if in an underated, underexposed way.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #23
Jack D.
Instant Karma

Both are great. Members of both groups had a huge influence for many years. This is another very tough one to chose but I finally decided on B.S. I mean Buffalo Springfield.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 AM   #24
phantasm777

hmm well, from yardbirds came, jeff beck, BB and A, clapton, derek and the dominoes, blind faith, cream, jimmy page, led zeppelin, and the band he finaly made with paul rogers who's name escapes me and rightfully so. keith relph renaissance, armegeddon (and more if he didn;t die in 76)

i just dont see how as much as i like young and stills etc. that all that came from BS could equal that much impact and influience as did the yardbirds. but hey you're more of a BS fan and ain't nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:02 AM   #25
mostfurious
Professional Slacker

Gameroom cash: $8723
Give Thanks: 24

tough call... i guess I'll vote Yardbirds.
mostfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:26 AM   #26
KC
Here kitty kitty.

Buffalo Springfield
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
Straycat
Hip Chick

The Yardbirds are my choice. After doing some research and development instead of laundry I found this clip from a movie which
shows maybe the first guitar smashing incident.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #28
Jack D.
Instant Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm777
hmm well, from yardbirds came, jeff beck, BB and A, clapton, derek and the dominoes, blind faith, cream, jimmy page, led zeppelin, and the band he finaly made with paul rogers who's name escapes me and rightfully so. keith relph renaissance, armegeddon (and more if he didn;t die in 76)
So would you consider John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers better than The Yardbirds? Members included John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Paul Butterfield & Mick Taylor among others.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #29
phantasm777

no, but then i do not like all the members of mayalls band. and one to one, yardbirds still had better talent
Old 06-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #30
phantasm777

and and mayall also had jack bruce
Old 06-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #31
Jack D.
Instant Karma

I have been going back and reading posts on other people choices here and I have to admit The Yardbirds do have persuasive arguments in their favor. If I was to pick which group had artists who influenced rock music more I would have to pick them. But I was thinking of just those 2 groups and their music. On the plus side for Buffalo Springfield was they stayed pretty much intact, if only a short time. The Yardbirds on the other hand were constantly changing members. But after going over their biography's I have decided The Yardbirds were better. Yes, I have to admit my love for Buffalo Springfield may have influenced me beyond logic. Buffalo Springfield was great though. Always one of my favorites.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #32
phantasm777

im a fan of BS too but mostly because of the yardbirds lack of popularity in the states during their time, is why many do not know much about them or consider them much.

no exposure then or now, while BS has had far better exposure since they began, especially in the states. to me that could understandably color favoritism to BS, the fact that their music had always been very well exposed.

and the more "underground" quality of the yardbirds existance, comparatively, would make them seem less influencial.

i do believe in UK the yardbirds had a huge impact in those days unlike in USA, perhaps someone from UK could elaborate upon that.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #33
jasjesbe
Borgiano

Buffalo Springfield, of course. The Yardbirds had the musicians and the potential, but never made it in a great way. Clapton played much better after The Yardbirds, and so did Page and Beck. I like their music, but not that much.

On the other hand, I thing that Buffalo Springfield released three very good albums. Buffalo Springfield Again is the better, yes, but the other two have many great songs. And from there it came Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and the four-decades long Neil Young career, and Stills's, and Manassas, and Poco, and Loggins & Messina, and The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band, and The Desert Rose Band. Not bad either.
jasjesbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #34
AcousticWalden
Classic Folk-Proger

This is really a tough call, the Yardbirds are probably getting more credit than they deserve as far as creating this genre. Many give Cyril Davies that credit. One special mention little credited is from the Yardbirds sprang both Renaissance and Led Zeppelin.

That said, Clapton, Beck and Page is a pretty good mix (although not really together), on the other hand, Stills, Young, Furay and Messina (All together). Hummmmmm. Its a tie in my book

Link to cool Page & Beck together:

[/url]

AcousticWalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #35
motherlovebone

yardbirds
Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #36
phantasm777

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticWalden
This is really a tough call, the Yardbirds are probably getting more credit than they deserve as far as creating this genre. Many give Cyril Davies that credit. One special mention little credited is from the Yardbirds sprang both Renaissance and Led Zeppelin.

That said, Clapton, Beck and Page is a pretty good mix (although not really together), on the other hand, Stills, Young, Furay and Messina (All together). Hummmmmm. Its a tie in my book

Link to cool Page & Beck together:
i credited them completely:

from yardbirds came, jeff beck, Beck Bogart and Appice,

clapton, derek and the dominoes, blind faith, cream,

jimmy page, led zeppelin, and the band he finally made with paul rogers who's name escapes me and rightfully so.

keith relph renaissance, armegeddon (and more if he didn't die in 76)