Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1287
Give Thanks: 6
Re: Are We Making Classic Music Anymore?

70's - no you don't have to dig deep

Music lover - time has already proven it to me.

Butch - not true. The pop acts don't play the major festivals of the world. Rock bands play many festivals and concert tours .

All of you complaining go to rateyourmusic.com , spotify or any music site. Type in a band you like and start listening to like modern bands . It's easier today to find music then in the 70's.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan3287 View Post
Quote:
Were making it we are just not promoting it.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Porcupine Tree (a group I consider to be the Led Zeppelin of the 00s) is completely shunned by rock critics. And then again, so was Led Zeppelin back in the day .
P tree and Steven Wilson have a major following who cares if pop magazines done care.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Bluesguitar
I like me a good Tele!

Give Thanks: 0

Interesting thread......
"Music" is timeless, it's been with us for thousands of years and has always been a major part of our lives.
I am someone who is now "half a century" old. I have enjoyed many changes over the years and still find joy in discovering new bands and new music (as I always have).
Let me tell you what I perceive as different "now":
*Music is much easier to record/produce, so there is WAY more streaming daily into our listening channels (whatever your medium of choice is)
*Because of this "fact", there is a lot more Crap out there per capita than in the past...that is no slam on the present, just a fact. In contrast, there is also way more Awesome music to enjoy as well.
*Pre-80's, you couldn't Auto-tune and quantize your performances into perfect oblivion so there was more productions that sounded "truer" to the ear than present. More often than not now, everything sounds too perfect...and many older listeners (IMO) "miss" the dynamics of the pre-digital age of music production. I wish more new Artists would approach the creative recording process in this manner again.
*I am constantly finding new Artists to enjoy...but for whatever reason, I find myself WAY more impatient when listening to new music. I'll form an opinion of something within seconds and happily move on to the next song. I feel like I've heard so damn much over the years that it's harder for my brain to recognize music that feels truly "fresh". I realize that's a "me" issue though.
To top it off...there is SO DAMN MUCH available out there that I no longer feel the need to give something "time" like I used to....that is a mixed blessing IMO but only someone a little older will understand this dilemma I think. I could be wrong on that....
*There is no "right or wrong" on this topic...if you truly believe that, you are more delusional than all of us. The beauty of music is that it shapes and drives us, molds and inspires us "individually". There is no "best band", "best decade", best anything....only what moves each of us in a unique way that inspires us to be a music fanatic and spend time on forums like this for example.

I am one who loves music in general...even the stuff that makes me scratch my head. I make a living making and performing music and have for decades now.....
I am nothing without it.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

I think you guys are arguing a point the writer wasn't making. He wasn't saying there's no good music, he's saying there is no music that will be so timeless that future generations, or even the next generation, will embrace it the way kids today embrace 70's music or grunge. I think he has a point, and for a lot of the reasons people have mentioned here.

It's great that there are two hundred new albums a month released these days, but how many of them are really good? The technology that makes it so easy to produce and distribute music also eliminates quality control. Just because anybody can make a record doesn't mean everybody should. And the very tendency for bands to rush every burp and fart they make onto the market is exactly what makes modern music seem so transient and disposable. As Titus Andronicus said "There will be no more Rolling Stones". What for music geeks like seems like a smorgasbord, to the average listener looks like a junkyard. The 20 somethings I work with are split into two camps, the ones who dig old music, and the ones who listen to whatever's on the radio. None of them are concerned with the 2,000 Arcade Fire, Mumford and Sons and Phoenix clones who have put out records in the last three years.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #23
Jooa
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 2

Just one thing, I am constantly scared when I think where rock music is going to be forty or fifty years from today. I mean, every decade has been very different and many things have changed, rock music is only 60/50 years old and we are talking about "classic music" not being made anymore or bad pop music dominating the mainstream. I can only imagine how thing are going to be in the future, and I am looking foward to that.

Just a thought, forgive me.
Jooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #24
JaxRocker
Classic Rocker

In another tangent, is it possible that todays music might never be considered classic because of a different type of connection listeners have with it? I mean, in my days, it was going to the record store, buying that record album, running home with it and slapping it on the turntable, popping on the headphones and cranking it, enjoying 45-50 minutes of peaceful, non-interrupted bliss while reading the liner notes, studying the album cover artwork and memorizing the names of the band members and what they played. And sometimes you listened for days and days, straight to the turntable after school, listening while doing homework.
Today, you download the single, listen to it for a few days then move on to the next hot single. Sometimes you only know the name of the band. Sometimes you only know the song title. Rarely you know the band members. There is no art to study on your tiny iPod screen.
For me, the connection was the music AND everything involved with it. I think that is lost for the most part and will play a role in changing how music is remembered. So I ask you, in support of my theory, what did the Gotye album cover( the one with the most played song in 2012) look like?
JaxRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
70's - no you don't have to dig deep

Music lover - time has already proven it to me.

Butch - not true. The pop acts don't play the major festivals of the world.

All of you complaining go to rateyourmusic.com , spotify or any music site. Type in a band you like and start listening to like modern bands . It's easier today to find music then in the 70's.
I get what you are saying Hightea and Iagree with part of it. My point was when we look at what is getting promoted in the major media its rarely a rock band anymore. If they got half the promotion say Katy Perry gets they would sell more, have larger fan bases and generate music that might have a chance of lasting.

The reason rock acts mostly play festivals now is they cant fill an arena on their own anymore. Most have to become the blue plate special. That is not a good sign.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRocker View Post
I mean, in my days, it was going to the record store, buying that record album, running home with it and slapping it on the turntable, popping on the headphones and cranking it, enjoying 45-50 minutes of peaceful, non-interrupted bliss while reading the liner notes, studying the album cover artwork and memorizing the names of the band members and what they played. And sometimes you listened for days and days, straight to the turntable after school, listening while doing homework.
Yep. The only thing my kids (well, my sons anyway) have that kind of connection to is video games. In fact, music only exists as something to play in the background while playing video games. Gimmie Shelter came on the radio in the car the other day and my son goes "Hey that's the song from <insert name of war related video game here>!!"
Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #27
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $7842
Give Thanks: 49

Quote:
Yep. The only thing my kids (well, my sons anyway) have that kind of connection to is video games. In fact, music only exists as something to play in the background while playing video games. Gimmie Shelter came on the radio in the car the other day and my son goes "Hey that's the song from <insert name of war related video game here>!!"
Yeah I know...I stopped playing video games in the mid 90s when the focus switched from Super Mario to incredibly violent and vulgar fair like Grand Theft Auto. I know the latter has great music as far as classic rock goes, but there are much better way to discover it.
BeatlesFan3287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
Tranio
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1046
Give Thanks: 14

It does seem that as technology increases, quality control goes out of the window. When companies wrote to you by hand, it had to be considered and concise. Now, when I renew my insurance, someone presses a print button and an entire A4 book of incomprehensibe jargon is sent to me with no editing or human-input. Modern music can be a bit like this.
Tranio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #29
JaxRocker
Classic Rocker

Quote:"incomprehensibe jargon is sent to me with no editing or human-input. Modern music can be a bit like this."

A bit?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Tranio
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1046
Give Thanks: 14

There is another factor, this time from the CD, in that bands felt under pressure to find 74 minutes of music to fill a disc. Some admitted they couldn't and recorded nothing but live material. Others padded the album with long filler tracks. A third group recorded all lengthy tracks with built-in filler. A few bands probably stuck to their guns and recorded 40 minutes, while the record company charged full price anyway. A number of performers emerged whose material was tedious, so you couldn't tell the difference. All this seems to have fed into the system, besides the inability/reluctance to edit material.

Furthermore, MiKe Oldfield had a theory that with technology, there were fewer people with the ability to play real instruments.
Tranio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
hightea
Administrator

Oh brother really. Modern bands can't play instruments? Really?
Sorry guys I'm with bobby sick of this issue. Completely disagree. Several bands will be listened to 20 years from now and I'm not talking pop. Secondly, while I might agree the audience for rock music isn't as big as back in the day there a&e still several bands that have fanatic fans and I see it all the time at shows.

Festivals do now attract people just to go to the festival and not about the band. But the headliners have large audiences who have to stand near the stage for several hours these people are not casual fans.

Here in NYC there are close to 20 rock shows every night and
Lost are new bands and the places are packed. The acts that were playing small venues a few years ago now sellout medium sized venues and then large venues. Certain bands have a following that doesn't go away. Ie: they will become classic rock.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #32
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Actually, I think the problem is there's too much to discover and listen to now days. Looking at the "75 albums of the year so far" thread, a lot of that stuff looks interesting. I just don't have the time to listen to it all and determine what is good and what's not.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
zeppboy
The Hammer of the Gods

Gameroom cash: $2089

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
Oh brother really. Modern bands can't play instruments? Really?
Well it really depends on the band. I have heard some that bored me because they sounded like they could barely play their instruments however there are lots of bands out there in certain genres that are playing highly technical music and you would certainly not be able to say they can't play their instruments. I think we will certainly see some newer music become classic one day. Anyone who says all new music sucks hasn't dug deep enough past the top 40.
zeppboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #34
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

I agree there is lots of great music being made today by both legacy and new artists. The problem isn't with the music, it's with the market, the way music is distributed, lack of radio support, too much crap to sift through, and, in general, a changing tide of the times.

"Classic Rock" is a term that was invented by radio programmers in the 1980s. It enabled stations to continue to play older rock music, with a new label and a new spin. What made it successful and "classic" was that there was a huge audience for it because back then a lot more people bought music. That is an indisputable fact.

In 2013, the best-selling album so far has been Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience, with sales of 2 million copies. Compared to the 80s and 90s, that's pretty pathetic. The real tragedy of all this is that I can't imagine anyone going back to Justin Timberlake in 20 years and thinking he's a classic. But hey, stranger things have happened.

So, while there is great, perhaps even "classic" music being made today, the audience just isn't there for it. I mean, in order for something to become universally hailed as something "classic," the masses have to weigh in. In today's saturated entertainment market, that might not be possible.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #35
JaxRocker
Classic Rocker

"Several bands will be listened to 20 years from now and I'm not talking pop."

Name those bands! 20 years is a long time to forget. Think about who the big bands were in '93, are they still revered and popular? Or are they fringe acts, living off a reputation? I personally think that in comparison, a classic rock fan has a grasp of a larger number of bands than this generation ever will. As i said before, certain things distinguish a band, and if you don't recognize those things, they become 'that band that did that song"...

I'm pretty hip to new music but even I can't sort out these faceless bands who spew out hit singles weekly then disappear into oblivion..I feel that this generation is lacking in a comparable voume of quality artists to classic rocks era...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Quote:
Think about who the big bands were in '93, are they still revered and popular?
Bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Nirvana, Oasis, etc are still very popular in serious music circles--you know, people like you and me who actually listen to music for enjoyment rather than just as a fashion statement (though you might not like the bands I listed above).

People who listen to Kanye and Timberlake do so because they think it makes them look cool. There's no other explanation why someone would listen to such shallow crap.

Quote:
Or are they fringe acts, living off a reputation?
I consider Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple to be burned out bands living off a reputation. And don't even get me started on The Rolling Stones. My father was a big Stones fan from the beginning, and even he would not pay 400 dollars to see Night Of The Living Dead live which is basically what a Stones concert is now.

Quote:
I personally think that in comparison, a classic rock fan has a grasp of a larger number of bands than this generation ever will.
Mostly true, but there are some "Classic Rock Fans" on here whose band knowledge doesn't extend beyond Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Boston and a few others. But yeah...that's better than some generation Y'ers who only know Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, hip-hop etc...