Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $51872
Give Thanks: 418
Keith Richards: The Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' Was 'Rubbish'

Rolling Stones guitarist also addresses band's rift with former bassist Bill Wyman in new interview.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...lhaG9vLmNvbQ==
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
JET
Midway Up The Ceiling
Pacos adventure 3 Champion, Fluxball Champion, Win a Million 2 Champion, Penthouse Pool Champion, Movie Connection Champion, Stay The Distance Champion, Rail Rush Champion, Wheel Of Fortune Champion, Simon Champion, Kid Canyon Champion, Word Sailing Champion, Rock Shoot Champion, Zerpent Champion, Horse Jumping 3D Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, 3D Pacman Champion, Holdem Flash Poker Champion, Dart Challenge 501 Champion, Crazy Chess Champion, Cigarette Killer Champion, Wylie And Friends Champion, Candy Shooter 2 Champion

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $47417
Give Thanks: 68
Re: Keith Richards: The Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' Was 'Rubbish'

Wow, how very unseemly of him. He has made a ton of money and great music with The Rolling Stones, and they are known worldwide. I don't get his attitude in this day in age and all that is going on in the world. Time to grow up Keith and get over it.

In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. - Job 12:10
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

No Keith, "Satanic Majesties Request" was rubbish,"Sgt Pepper" was great.

And you know it!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Tranio
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1046
Give Thanks: 14

They used to say that in the sixties you preferred either The Rolling Stones or The Beatles. I preferred The Beatles, because I loved them, whereas I have never been able to get into The Rolling Stones, despite the playing of Brian Jones and Mick Taylor or the songwriting of Jagger and Richards. I think Abbey Road is a better album, for a multitude of reasons, but Sgt Pepper remains great and contains The Beatles' best song, A Day in the Life. Like the situation with The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album, consistent praise has led to the current trend of criticising Sgt Pepper and it is unfortunate that Richards and RS magazine have jumped on the bandwagon.

The Rolling Stones covered several Lennon-McCartney songs, but I am not aware of The Beatles covering anything by Richards (someone can prove me wrong here). Richards also collaborated with John Lennon and Eric Clapton on the Dirty Mac band. I suppose Richards has been asked the same questions for so many years, he cannot help coming out with random rubbish. The erroneous comment about 'roots' is typical of The Rolling Stones. Rolling Stone magazine are complicit because they either believe the nonsense or deliberately publish it to gain attention.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3403
Give Thanks: 118

Sgt. Pepper was such rubbish that the Rolling Stones recorded and released a pale imitation, Their Satanic Majesty's Request to capitalize on it.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3119
Give Thanks: 7

This is just Keith being Keith. No big deal, really. I'm sure he's not the only person in the world that doesn't like Sgt. Pepper. To be fair, he did also throw his own work (Satanic Majesties Request) under the bus in the same sentence. I love Keith. He's about as unfiltered as a celebrity can get. Always speaks his mind. I don't always agree with him, but I can respect it.

Personally, I would never say Pepper is rubbish, but it's definitely not my favorite Beatles album and I do feel that it gets a bit overrated sometimes. Great album, but I'd take Abbey Road, Revolver, and depending on my mood, Rubber Soul and the White Album over it.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the legacy of an album speaks for itself. Ten years after Pepper the Stones tried to come to my Emotional Rescue. On a fine Arab Charger no less. They chased other bands trends a lot over their career.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $20942
Give Thanks: 166
Exclamation Re: Keith Richards: The Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' Was 'Rubbish'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover7 View Post
Rolling Stones guitarist also addresses band's rift with former bassist Bill Wyman in new interview.

Actually Keith doesn't. The real reason Bill Wyman left the Stones in 1993 is that Bill had developed a fear of flying during a horrible storm the previous tour and didn't want to tour again with the Stones in 1994. That's why Bill has been making guest appearances with the Stones on their European stops in the last two years but nowhere else.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
darkglasses
Semi-retired Derailer

Give Thanks: 6

I get what he means. Sgt P is more of a self-consciously arty pop concept album than the blues/rock that Keith prefers. And I generally prefer the earlier Beatles rock too. But it's hard to criticize them for being so ambitious considering how good it turned out. Then again, we do have it to blame for all of the bad concept albums and embarrassing attempts at art rock that followed it to this day
darkglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $7847
Give Thanks: 49

While I do believe Abbey Road was a better album, saying Sgt. Pepper was rubbish is like saying The Godfather was a rubbish film.

I agree with kw21925. If it was such an awful record, then why did you release a rip-off of it?
BeatlesFan3287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $51872
Give Thanks: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover7 View Post

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...lhaG9vLmNvbQ==
Elsewhere in the interview, the guitarist addressed the Stones' rift with founding bassist Bill Wyman, who quit the band in 1993, specifically his complaint that a plaque in Dartford railway station, where Richards met Mick Jagger, honored only the group's main songwriting duo. "Mick just the other day came up to me and says, 'Do you believe this shit, man? Bill Wyman is complaining about the plaque at Dartford station,'" the guitarist said. "I said, 'A plaque? I thought we had a statue.'" (The plaque was subsequently taken down and will be replaced by a re-worded tribute to the band.)

Richards also clarified that Wyman had taken umbrage with the idea that the guitarist and Jagger had "formed" the Stones. "Bill wasn't there when the band was formed," he said. "[Pianist] Ian Stewart formed the band [and] we gravitated around him. Bill was a quirky, funny old fucker, but why he should make some kind of public 'do about it.... I think Mick sent a note saying, because Bill comes from a town called Penge, 'Bill, if a plaque went up in Penge station that said you were the founding member of the Rolling Stones, do you think we'd complain?' But Bill, oh, we love him dearly, and he was a hell of a bass player. We didn't tell him to leave."
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan3287 View Post
While I do believe Abbey Road was a better album, saying Sgt. Pepper was rubbish is like saying The Godfather was a rubbish film.

I agree with kw21925. If it was such an awful record, then why did you release a rip-off of it?
Because the stones spent most of their career chasing trends. That is how they survived so long. A big difference between the stones and beatles is one band created trends and one band followed them.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #13
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw21925 View Post
Sgt. Pepper was such rubbish that the Rolling Stones recorded and released a pale imitation, Their Satanic Majesty's Request to capitalize on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan3287 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by That 70s Guy View Post
No Keith, "Satanic Majesties Request" was rubbish,"Sgt Pepper" was great.

And you know it!
No. What I know is that you three are just dilettantes and can't hold a candle to a real Stones' fan such as myself. You're all strictly junior league.

Let me tell you two things therefore. Their Satanic Majesties Request is a pretty good LP overall. Yes, it has two or three painful navel gazing British music hall send-offs on it (sort of like the Beatles' White Album actually), but it also has these tracks which rank among my very favourite Stones' tunes:

She's a Rainbow
2000 Light Years from Home
2000 Man
Citadel
In Another Land

In fact, a Stones' fan such as myself who doesn't just parrot conventional wisdom can tell you that Their Satanic Majesties Request is a more listenable Stones' LP than the much praised Exile on Main Street. I bought that one when it first hit store shelves and I wondered why it got so much critical acclaim. It doesn't have a single track on it that makes my top sixty Stones' tunes.

Overall though Keith is wrong about Sgt. Pepper's being rubbish. It's actually pretty damn good. It's the White Album that's mostly rubbish.

These Users say Thanks to Foxhound:
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranio View Post
They used to say that in the sixties you preferred either The Rolling Stones or The Beatles.
Naught but historical revisionism on the part of people who weren't there. Music tastes were far more fragmented than that. Until mid-1965, it was actually the Dave Clark Five who were the Beatles' main rivals in North America. In 1967 it was the Monkees who were all the rage in North America and topped both the Beatles or the Stones in record sales as well as radio phone-in contests. Older "sophisticates" thought soul music was a lot more hip than what was being offered by the long-haired bands. And a lot of even older rock music fans such as my sister still insisted that Elvis was the King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranio View Post
I preferred The Beatles, because I loved them, whereas I have never been able to get into The Rolling Stones....
Me I started out liking the Beatles the most initially. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the first LP I ever bought, followed by three or four more Beatles' LPs. When I then stepped outside the box and bought High Tide and Green Grass and Flowers by the Rolling Stones though, they were real ear openers! I found the Stones' music to be far edgier than that of the Beatles and the brooding unsmiling Stones spoke to me on a level the Beatles hadn't come close to reaching. These fellows were a lot more exciting than the comparatively staid mop-tops from Liverpool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Because the stones spent most of their career chasing trends. That is how they survived so long.
No. The Stones have survived for over fifty years because the principals didn't bore each other to distraction within seven years.

Last edited by Foxhound : 08-08-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
Tranio
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1046
Give Thanks: 14

Unfortunately, I was there, Foxhound. Sgt Pepper and Satanic Majesty's are albums by British, not north American bands. Albums by The Dave Clark Five and The Monkees did not rival those by The Beatles or Rolling Stones in the UK. Only a couple of Clark's early albums sold well. The Monkees were an American construct (with Davy Jones from Coronation Street) to rival The Beatles in America. Again, in the UK, their albums did not have the consistent success of those by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Both The Dave Clark Five and The Monkees were predominantly singles bands here (and a TV series in the case of the latter). To say that in the sixties you preferred either The Rolling Stones or The Beatles, was just a saying. Bands to come close in album sales were The Kinks and The Hollies. I understand The Kinks were shut out of the US.

Although not a Rolling Stones fan, I disagree with the view that Satanic Majesty's is a rubbish album and agree with you Foxhound, tracks like She's a Rainbow are actually pretty good.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #16
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3403
Give Thanks: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
No. What I know is that you three are just dilettantes and can't hold a candle to a real Stones' fan such as myself. You're all strictly junior league.

Let me tell you two things therefore. Their Satanic Majesties Request is a pretty good LP overall. Yes, it has two or three painful navel gazing British music hall send-offs on it (sort of like the Beatles' White Album actually), but it also has these tracks which rank among my very favourite Stones' tunes:

She's a Rainbow
2000 Light Years from Home
2000 Man
Citadel
In Another Land

In fact, a Stones' fan such as myself who doesn't just parrot conventional wisdom can tell you that Their Satanic Majesties Request is a more listenable Stones' LP than the much praised Exile on Main Street. I bought that one when it first hit store shelves and I wondered why it got so much critical acclaim. It doesn't have a single track on it that makes my top sixty Stones' tunes.

Overall though Keith is wrong about Sgt. Pepper's being rubbish. It's actually pretty damn good. It's the White Album that's mostly rubbish.

I could hold a candle to you, if that's what you're into.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to kw21925:
Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Because the stones spent most of their career chasing trends. That is how they survived so long. A big difference between the stones and beatles is one band created trends and one band followed them.
Not true. The Stones were very much trendsetters in the mid to late sixties. It was the Stones and not the Beatles who set the template for every garage rock band for a generation of high school students. And the punk rock movement started as an attempt to emulate those garage rock bands and bring back the two and a half minute single.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1287
Give Thanks: 6

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band an Satanic Majesty are great albums although neither is my favorite from either band. The Beatles and the stones arguments are silly as they were two different bands, the stones were based mostly around blues/rock something the Beatles were not. Sure we get the whole blues and rock over art rock and silly lyrics. However, sorry if I had to listen to all blue and rockability rock all day I would be bored to tears, although I love it. Hence, why we split my music up and listen to other forms of rock and mostly have the Beatles and the Stones to thank for introducing so many other bands to their ideas.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote