Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: are your musical tastes a genrational thing
yes 13 46.43%
no 13 46.43%
other 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Blue
Rock 'n' Roll Cat

Give Thanks: 0
is it a generational

are your musical tastes a generational thing, is the music you grew up the major influence on the music you like?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Blue
Rock 'n' Roll Cat

Re: is it a generational

for me personally I have to say yes, I still listen to all the music I grew up in 60's and 70's, but I'm opened minded to today's music
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28561
Give Thanks: 161

Yes, I'm tied to the music of my generation (60's & 70's) and seek similar sounds in today's music but also always open to new sounds.
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

yes
Old 06-29-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $50617
Give Thanks: 413

yes
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3378
Give Thanks: 115

Yes, I guess it is, for the most part. My musical tastes stretch all the way back to Brahms and Beethoven, but going the other way they pretty much stop with the music of "my generation", which is about the same time as the rest of you geezers.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
Harold
Classic Rocker

Not really, I like a lot of Blues from the 20s and 30s.
Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Zombeels

Gameroom cash: $3682

I would have to say no. I got into music in the mid 70's but it was the music of the 60's that were my first love. In the 80's I loathed most of the mainstream music but not all of it and my friends were saying I was living in the past as most of my music was from the 60's and 70's. When the 90's arrived I was lukewarm to the grunge and Britpop but I thought they were miles better than any of the hair metal from the 80's. Alternative music had become mainstream and sour which gave room to Indie and I fell in love with many artists and songs of this genre.

I would say no for me, my tastes are not generational.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Gameroom cash: $3493

Definitely not.
Music is one continuous, enthralling book to me that I have yet to be able to put down.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3499
Give Thanks: 23

No, I grew up listening to music from the 60s and 70s. It wasn't until I was 16/17 when I started to listen to music from the early 90s, which at that point was already 15 years old.

I didn't start to listen to music from my generation until I was an adult.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1417
Give Thanks: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg29 View Post
Definitely not.
Music is one continuous, enthralling book to me that I have yet to be able to put down.

I'll take it one step further in that not only have I adapted to the changing times of music but have also gone back to the past decades and found new gems from those eras too and most are in genre that I didn't listen to back in the day.
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
heyjoe
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1904
Give Thanks: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg29 View Post
Definitely not.

I'll take it one step further in that not only have I adapted to the changing times of music but have also gone back to the past decades and found new gems from those eras too and most are in genre that I didn't listen to back in the day.

I agree with both statements. While 70's music will always
be the chapter I'm stuck on the most, exploring all genres
and times are important in keeping it all refreshed and
interesting. There are gems all over the place, but I discover
that the ones that really appeal to me are from the 60/70's.
There are many releases, esp the live stuff, that have been
in the vaults forever... great stuff.
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $20932
Give Thanks: 166
Music Note Re: is it a generational

Quote:
I'll take it one step further in that not only have I adapted to the changing times of music....
I make an effort to keep current. I've taken in concerts by bands such as the Cranberries, Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Mercury Rev, Tegan & Sara, Heartless Bastards, Modest Mouse, the Decemberists and Bif Naked in the past half dozen years. Here's a review I wrote at the time of the Bif Naked concert:

Bif Naked headed a bill at the Mod Club on College Street in Toronto this past summer. We decided that attending the show was the best of the available options that night (and certainly a welcome alternative to staring fixatedly at a computer screen) so off we went. The location required only that we board the Gerrard-College streetcar fifty metres from my front door and take in the scenery for thirty minutes until we stepped off in front of the Mod Club just before 7:00 PM. Bif Naked's tour bus was already parked out front.

We were greeted by a small lineup at the door which gave me the opportunity to study the demographics of the crowd. It was diverse. Everything from twenty year old punks to semi respectable retirees still hungry for some good rock. Once inside, we secured a decent vantage point by the rail off to one side of the stage. Unfortunately there are no seats at the Mod Club.

The Manvils, a band from Vancouver, opened for her and were quite good. I actually liked them better than either Nine Inch Nails or Jane's Addiction who I had seen earlier in the summer! I'd describe their music as 21st century garage. Since we were only ten feet or so from the stage, I was able to offer them some helpful advice regarding getting haircuts and a bath. The lead singer was only momentarily taken aback.

Bif Naked was on by 8:30 PM. She's wearing her hair in a pixie cut now but that's the only indication that she's been battling breast cancer. She was as loud and energetic as ever and put on a show that met the demanding quality standards of the assembled multitude.

In fact, it even exceeded that of one fellow who had brought his nine year old daughter along to the show when Bif Naked proceeded to perform the tender ditty "Fcuk You Too!" for which she invited and received enthusiastic audience participation. The fellow hugged his daughter and left shortly thereafter. Excuse me! I mean you did bring your daughter to see a woman who's covered in tattoos. What did you expect?

She ended the show with a fine rendition of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters". We were out looking for further entertainments by 9:30 PM. Very civilized if I do say so myself.

We ended up strolling down the street to Soundscapes, my favourite music store, which stays open until 12:00 midnight Fridays and Saturdays (and 11:00 PM every other day of the week). But somehow they didn't have any Bif Naked CDs! Undeterred I picked up her greatest hits compilation in another shop a few days later.

My success at keeping current though has been decidedly mixed. I still almost invariably end up listening to old favourites on my stereo, and the concentration of these is still from my formative years musically when I was in my teens.

Last edited by Foxhound : 03-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
mostfurious
Professional Slacker

Gameroom cash: $11085
Give Thanks: 28

I find myself falling back into 90's stuff once in a while, (which is what I grew up with..)
But I think it depends a lot on just how important music is to you.. I mean, if you're a casual music listener, you'll probably be more inclined to listen to music you grew up with. More dedicated music listeners are more willing to explore, whether that be older, newer, or generational music.
mostfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28561
Give Thanks: 161

Quote:
Same here. Right now exploring the Athens, GA music scene circa 1980, sorta missed it first time around despite being aware of REM & the B-52s. Listening to the lesser known bands that were around back then.
hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 AM   #16
Joey Self
A Voice Of Reason
Guess Word Champion

Gameroom cash: $1427

I'd answer "yes" to the question. While I like some of the newer stuff, what I gravitate toward in the more recent releases are those things that have elements--good vocals, intelligently written songs, instruments played instead of sampled--that have something in common with the music of my teen years (71-79).

JcS
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
TrekkiELO
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1098
Give Thanks: 93

yes & no

While I was born in 1972, my main 25 years are from 1967-1991, although some stuff pre/post dates that era.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
JohnDMcClane
Artist

I hardly doubt it. I think most of my musical taste comes from when I tried learning the harmonica and started listening to blues and it sort of developed from there. But blues is still my favorite genre, though no one else in my family listens to it

I'm just here for the peanuts.

JohnDMcClane is offline   Reply With Quote