Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Gameroom cash: $3493
Give Thanks: 0
CRF2 Album Covers Banner Poll: Stage #1 Lists

Purpose of this exercise: To repopulate the top of the forum page with a new set of album covers

What you need to do now: Provide a list of 7 albums that you feel best represent “classic rock”. If there was a Mount Rushmore of classic rock with 7 covers on it, what should those be? (And no zen that doesn’t mean that in “In Rock” gets a free spot on there ).

It would be nice if people selected their albums with an eye for representing the diversity of musical styles that are encompassed by the genre but use whatever criteria you like. Giving some explanation/justification for your choices would be nice too.

Limitations/criteria: Any studio or live albums from any year are allowed. No compilations please. Since we will be voting in the next stage it is likely that newer or more obscure albums will not make the banner but go ahead and list them.

-Note that the number of times a particular album gets listed will not matter at this stage. The order you list the albums also does not matter.

-In the end, there will be the restriction that only 1 album per artist can be on the banner.

What’s next: I will take every album that gets listed in this thread and create an online poll. You will be then asked to rate (on a scale from 1-5) each album in terms of how deserving it is to be on the CRF2 banner.

-The top 7 albums in terms of average rating (and after removing artist repeats) will be the winners.

-Take your time deciding on your lists I will leave this thread open for a few weeks.
List away....
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Tkitna
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $2263
Give Thanks: 1
Re: CRF2 Album Covers Banner Poll: Stage #1 Lists

Sgt. Peppers - The Beatles
Point Of No Return - Kansas
Let It Bleed - Rolling Stones
Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Forever Changes - Love
In Search Of The Lost Chord - Moody Blues

Tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
diezman
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 19

Aerosmith - ROCKS
Rush - MOVING PICTURES
Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
Led Zeppelin - PHYSICAL GRAFFITI
AC/DC - HIGHWAY TO HELL
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
dangerbird
dancepack

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Neil Young - On the Beach
Moody Blues - Days of future passed
Bruce Cockburn - Stealing Fire
Supertramp - In the quietest moments
Styx - the grand illusion
dangerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $6589
Give Thanks: 45

Beatles - Abbey Road
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Joni Mitchell - Blue (have to include a female artist)
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced (have to include a person of color)
Nirvana - Nevermind
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
BeatlesFan3287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3099
Give Thanks: 7

I really want to include albums that run the gamut of what gets discussed here. Unfortunately, with only 7 choices, that means some great albums that are among my all time favorites will get left out. Here is my best attempt at putting together a list of albums that I love AND albums that I feel will encompass what we discuss here.

Aerosmith - Rocks: In my opinion, this is the best American hard rock album ever made.

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: My all time favorite album. One of the all time classic pop/rock albums that most always ends up somewhere in the top 10 albums of all time in polls.

The New York Dolls - The New York Dolls: While some wouldn't consider this album, or the punk rock that it inspired, to be classic rock, this extremely influential album inspired a lot of music that gets mentioned on this forum. I think it's an important album to represent that part of the tastes of this forum.

The Beatles - Abbey Road: Why? Well, how can you not have a Beatles cover up there? It could be any of their albums, really, but Abbey Road is my personal favorite.

Elvis Presley - Self Titled (The RCA debut): The music of the 50's (oldies) aren't discussed as much here as the 60's-present times, but honestly, without Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc., alot of the artists that will be represented on this banner wouldn't have made music. For that reason, the era should be represented. I can't think of a more iconic image of that than this album.

Nirvana - Nevermind: It's not my favorite album of the 90's. It's not even my favorite Nirvana album. That being said, this album changed the game in the 90's and being as that we do discuss that era and beyond here, I think something needs to represent it. This album, in my opinion, is the most iconic cover to represent the time.

Van Halen - Women and Children First: I wanted to include an 80's album, so I chose my favorite Van Halen album. I thought about including an R.E.M. album or possibly the Joshua Tree by U2, but I thought Van Halen was a better choice in trying to represent what the majority of our members gravitated towards. 1984 would probably be the more popular choice, but this one is my favorite of their albums, so I chose it.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28344
Give Thanks: 158

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Blonde On Blonde
Are You Experienced?
Who's Next
Sticky Fingers
After the Gold Rush
London Calling

I picked these more for the album art and my idea of landmark classic rock than my personal appraisal of the music (I like other Beatle, Stones and Who albums better).
hodad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
APageMark
Like acid & oil on a madman's face
Find The Suspect Champion

Gameroom cash: $16716
Give Thanks: 206

These would be mine. Of course, I've already changed my mind, but I'll leave it alone.
APageMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
SkyBlue
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3197
Give Thanks: 45

Just off the top of my head, because I think there are so many that can make this list:

Born To Run

Rumours

Sticky Fingers

Boston

Breakfast In America

The Cars

Hotel California
SkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1053
Give Thanks: 8

My choices, like some others have stated, are based on an albums importance, but also on the visual impact of the artwork, rather than on my own opinion of the records relative quality. Although these are all records I like.

The Beatles Abbey Road
The last record the Beatles made together was marked the symbolic end of a musical era. The cover is uniquely English, and it also shows the four members, looking more like individuals than a band, going somewhere. Heading to the studio for a session perhaps, or on their way to the next chapter in their lives. Obviously Sgt. Pepper, Revolver and even The White Album in its way were great album covers, but when someone mentions the Beatles to me, this is the image that flashes through my mind.

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The famous Andy Warhol cover managed to convey sexiness, playfulness and mystery all in a single image. If Abbey Road marked the end of the 60's, Sticky Fingers marked the start of the 70's.

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

The early sixties youth movement captured in a single image. It displayed the promise of freedom the lie beyond the borders of suburbia. It's a perfect little time capsule of Bohemian New York.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Simple yet powerful. It conveys the meeting place between beauty and design, art and science, intellectualism and aesthetic. No album cover is a more succinct representation of the music it contains.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Clad in leather and Telecaster, he's the ragamuffin hero of his own romantic opera. His smirk suggests he just told Clarence "Wait'll they hear this!"

The Clash - London Calling

While the Sex Pistols could be dismissed as a trendy novelty, The Clash announced British punk was for real by releasing its first great album. The iconic cover shows Paul Simonon ring the bell to announce their arrival by beating the stage with his bass.

Nirvana - Nevermind

Without question a game changing record that brought rock back, briefly, from the brink of market researched homogenization. The cover was a simple idea that conveyed a powerful message. That greed is trained straight out of the womb.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Straycat
Hip Chick

Here goes!

Chicago Transit Authority
Tommy, The Who
Captain Fantastic, Elton John

Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
peaches
Classic Rocker

Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roser View Post
My choices, like some others have stated, are based on an albums importance, but also on the visual impact of the artwork, rather than on my own opinion of the records relative quality. Although these are all records I like.

The Beatles Abbey Road
The last record the Beatles made together was marked the symbolic end of a musical era. The cover is uniquely English, and it also shows the four members, looking more like individuals than a band, going somewhere. Heading to the studio for a session perhaps, or on their way to the next chapter in their lives. Obviously Sgt. Pepper, Revolver and even The White Album in its way were great album covers, but when someone mentions the Beatles to me, this is the image that flashes through my mind.

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The famous Andy Warhol cover managed to convey sexiness, playfulness and mystery all in a single image. If Abbey Road marked the end of the 60's, Sticky Fingers marked the start of the 70's.

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

The early sixties youth movement captured in a single image. It displayed the promise of freedom the lie beyond the borders of suburbia. It's a perfect little time capsule of Bohemian New York.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Simple yet powerful. It conveys the meeting place between beauty and design, art and science, intellectualism and aesthetic. No album cover is a more succinct representation of the music it contains.

Clad in leather and Telecaster, he's the ragamuffin hero of his own romantic opera. His smirk suggests he just told Clarence "Wait'll they hear this!"

The Clash - London Calling

While the Sex Pistols could be dismissed as a trendy novelty, The Clash announced British punk was for real by releasing its first great album. The iconic cover shows Paul Simonon ring the bell to announce their arrival by beating the stage with his bass.

Nirvana - Nevermind

Without question a game changing record that brought rock back, briefly, from the brink of market researched homogenization. The cover was a simple idea that conveyed a powerful message. That greed is trained straight out of the womb.

I know none of my choices will ever get picked, so I'll go with these fine representatives of classic rock...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3237
Give Thanks: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roser View Post
The Beatles Abbey Road
The cover is uniquely English, and it also shows the four members, looking more like individuals than a band, going somewhere. Heading to the studio for a session perhaps
In fact, they're walking away from the studio, symbolically, if not literally for the last time.

Quote:

He's actually saying "Hey Clarence, I just farted".

All great choices, btw. My list is forthcoming in the next day or so, not that anybody cares.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, it’s a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, it’s a . . . well, hell, you can’t really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #15
dwill123
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $3084

Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
peaches
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill123 View Post

I considered James Gang Rides Again for one of my 7. King Crimson is an excellent choice.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill123 View Post

I considered James Gang Rides Again for one of my 7. King Crimson is an excellent choice.
Damn, those are all pretty great records!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
BongoFury
Classic Rocker

Revolver
Machine Head
Fragile
Led Zeppelin IV
Exile On Main Street
Who's Next
Billion Dollar Babies