Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
jennygirl

Wink OZZFEST 2007 screw artists?

Critics have leveled some heavy charges against Ozzfest after the announcement of a free Ozzfest this summer. The problems began when founder Ozzy Osbourne described the festivals previous financial problems as due to "artists demanding more and more money for summer tours" and the ensuing rumour that the event actually charged new acts in the vicinity of $75,000 for a slot on the tour in previous years

Established music publication CMJ argues that the event will force artists to depend entirely on already venue-taxed merch sales to cover their costs:

In fact, whereas Ozzfest allegedly required an investment from these up-and-coming acts, they now simply require that the bands agree to play for merch money.

Furthermore, while the festival now allows band's to perform in the same city even the same day as the festival, the article describes this as a "crafty manipulation" arguing that no one will pay for a show after a free performance takes place the same day.

Catalyst News Network goes even further, accusing the organizers of "sucking the lifeblood from young artists" and concludes that "Art is truly being used to promote corporate profits -- while the artists, once again get screwed. "

It should be noted that very few details on the financial arrangements of the festival have been announced, but these allegations, if true, could pose very real problems for artists aiming for a position in summer's festival tours.

here

I guess.... the band who don't want to do this don't have to play at ozzfest.... i expect to see many new bands involve in this event...

jen
Old 02-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3499
Give Thanks: 23
Re: OZZFEST 2007 screw artists?

Oh boo hoo! After the concet industry has been fucking us up the ass for a decade, the Ozzy camp is trying to reverse that and the artists are complaining.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the artists are getting screwed just like they always do. But I find it a little strange for them to be saying "Art is truly being used to promote corporate profits -- while the artists, once again get screwed." To suggest that this is a corporate-minded money tour more so than every normal tour with $80 tickets seems downright stupid to me. Maybe I don't know the real situation.

I guess no matter what anybody ever does, someone is missing out.