Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Music Game Room
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Game Room Play various music related games in here

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #19
Darth Pazuzu
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $4489
Give Thanks: 0
Re: Rock 'N' Roll Anagrams (artist / song)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post

I guess you need to spell out the rules more. For instance, should we use non-words vs. a minimum of non-words? Yours above looks like Welsh, not English.

Can the word/letter mixups cross outside individual words? Mine does, yours don't.

Can they cross outside band and song title? Mine and yours don't.

Once you define those rules, and the amount of flexibility if any in using other letters to form words, then I can post the next puzzle.

One way you could allow other letters is to, say, require that substituted letters be capitalized, and all other letters lowercase. That way we could use more (funnier) words.

if it's just word jumble by word, then I'm probably not interested in playing.
Okay, point by point...

1) The scrambled words don't actually have to be real words, but if possible they should look and feel like it's some kind of alternate language. However... if you're exceptionally clever about it, using real words is always a viable option!

2) The word/letter mix-ups can definitely cross over outside individual words. But one should exercise a certain amount of discretion in order to avoid making things too confusing. You can subtract a letter from one word as long as you add that same letter to another one. And you can always trade letters between words. (But keep letters from the song title and artists' name separate, which brings me to my next point below...)

3) Absolutely no crossing letters between band and song title! Perhaps it's an arbitrary rule, but I definitely want to avoid making things too confusing. I repeat once again... Song titles and artists' names should be completely separate entities, with absolutely no crossing between them!

4) Yet another seemingly arbitrary rule, but... We always use the exact same letters that are in the song title and artist's name, with no outside substitutions! You're always free to exchange letters between words, and you can always subtract a letter from one word and add it to another. (But once again, without crossing between artist's name and song title!)

5) You cannot change the number of words in either the song title or the artist's name! You can scramble the letters as you see fit, make letter exchanges between words, or subtract a letter from one word and add it to another. But the number of words in titles and names should always remain unchanged! Sure, yeah, you can alter the number of letters within each word, but not the number of words itself!

6) You can get a bit more of an idea of what you can and cannot do just by looking at the ones I've already done. For example...

A Yad In The File - The Teelabs
A Day In The Life - The Beatles
Pretty simple, right? In this case, I decided not to exchange letters between words, or to subtract from one word and add to the other. This is the simplest approach.

Streap Fo Stuppem - Alcimealt
Master Of Puppets - Metallica
Kind of the next level of difficulty here! Here I simply switched the M in the word Master and the P in Puppets. (And if you tried to unscramble it without exchanging the letters, you'd end up with Paster Of Muppets! )

Linto I Uto Soldives - Hanish
Until I Too Dissolve - Ihsahn
Once again, I exchanged the U in Until with an O in Too. (BTW, switching letters between words is always helpful if you want to make a real word - or at least a more real-sounding word - when you scramble everything! Also, Krull, it's helpful if you want to make funnier-sounding words.)

Sire - Ciblup Igemi Deltaim
Rise - Public Image Limited
Pretty simple title, right? Only four letters! But with the artist's name I switched an I in "Limited" with the A in "Image". (I also opted to spell out the word "Limited" as opposed to the abbreviation "Ltd." - once again, my aim was to make things less confusing! But if you think it's possible to make use of a period in an abbreviation, by all means be my guest! I'm not going to make it a rule.)

Vu'eyo Tog Therona Ghint Ni'moc - Jasud Trisep
You've Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest
Once again, pretty simple. Rather conservative in my approach, aren't I? Note also that I make use of the apostrophes. If a title or name uses apostrophes, always make some sort of inventive use of them!

Regrettably, I haven't gone so far as to subtract letters from one word and add to another... yet!

7) What I meant by "spoonerism" was the act of swapping letters between words. If you've seen the Monty Python's Flying Circus sketch featuring Eric Idle as the Man Who Speaks In Anagrams, Idle's character claims to be working on anagram versions of William Shakespeare's plays. These include The Mating of the Wersh, Two Netlemeng of Verona, Twelfth Thing, The Chamrent of Venice and Thamle, which are all pretty obvious. But then we throws in Ring Kichard the Thrid, which momentarily throws Michael Palin's TV host character...

PALIN: Ah, Ring Kichard, yes... but surely that's not an anagram, that's a spoonerism!

IDLE: If you're going to split hairs, I'm going to piss off!

After which Idle gets up and leaves the TV studio, leaving Palin looking befuddled and perplexed! End of sketch.

Anyhoo... That's where I got the word "spoonerism" from. So I hope that I was able to be of some help in making the rules a bit clearer. In the meantime... astound me with your next anagram, good sir!
Darth Pazuzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #20
Darth Pazuzu
Classic Rocker

Old 12-08-2017, 03:27 AM   #21
Krull
Nice, Nice, Very Nice

Gameroom cash: $8945
Give Thanks: 113

Next puzzle

Song - Artist

An Hithermost - Comix Sury

After all the explanation, I hope I did it right.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
Darth Pazuzu
Classic Rocker

More Than This - Roxy Music

Good one, Krull! But you forgot one thing: You have to use the exact same number of words as there were in the original title. You can certainly change the number of letters within each word, and you can always exchange letters between words (keeping title and artist separate, of course). But the exact number of words in each title or name should always be constant.

For example, it should more properly have read: An Hither Most.

Or possibly: Anthir Shot Me!

Or maybe even: Stom He Rintha... Home Thin Star... Anthem Or Sith... etc., etc., etc.

The number of words in each title or name serves as a lifeline, or clue. It narrows down and makes things somewhat easier. I want the game to be challenging, but not impossible.

But still... That was a real challenge. It certainly took me a while. Keep up the good work!

Now, my turn...

Rake Nog Coil Bank - Void Wedabi
Old 12-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Darth Pazuzu
Classic Rocker

I didn't stump you, did I, Krull?

Anyway, here's a hint: The source album for this song is the first entry for my brand-new Album Title Anagrams game thread!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #24
Krull
Nice, Nice, Very Nice

Gameroom cash: $8945
Give Thanks: 113

Look Back in Anger - David Bowie

Nount BB Chenterey - Somelap Karen Rem Laden
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #25
Darth Pazuzu
Classic Rocker

Benny The Bouncer - Emerson, Lake And Palmer (??)

If this is indeed the correct answer, you have one leftover "T"!

Wow!! That was one heck of a challenge! I'm beginning to feel like Victor Frankenstein. I'm awfully good at creating monsters, less so at mastering them! But hopefully, I'll get better! Granted, that one took me two days...

Hel Or Stoat Hill - Loyul Crest Tube