Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 109

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 118

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 123

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 128

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 133

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 138

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 143

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/crf2com/public_html/includes/class_postbit.php on line 148
CRF2 Best of the 90ís Poll: Recommendations Thread - Classic Rock Forums
Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 90's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

90's Discuss the best music from the 90's.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Gameroom cash: $3493
Give Thanks: 0
CRF2 Best of the 90ís Poll: Recommendations Thread

CRF2 Best of the 90ís Poll: Recommendations Thread

You knew it was coming!! Time to think about the best of the 90's.
Like we did with the 00's, we thought we would start with a thread in which people can recommend some albums to check out before the voting begins, so...

1. The poll will work in 2 stages: a recommendations stage and a voting stage.

2. The recommendation stage will start now and end on March 15. For this stage we would like people to post recommendations for albums people should consider including on their final list. Ideally we are looking for recommendations of albums that people might not have heard of before. And it would be wonderful if you could include a brief write up of the album. ShuffleItAll and I are always looking for new recommendations people so this part is somewhat self-serving

3. The voting stage will run from Mar 15-April 15. DO NOT POST LISTS IN THIS THREAD. A new thread will be open to post best of lists The rules for the voting will be posted later.

4. Here are the type of albums that can be included:
a. Studio albums released in any year between 1990-1999 (including the years 1990 and 1999 of course)
b. Live albums released between 1990-1999 that consist of material recorded during the 90ís.
c. EPís
d. Compilations with previously unreleased material that were recorded in the 90ís

5. Here are the type of albums that CAN NOT be included:
a. Live albums with material recorded prior to 1990
b. Singles
c. Compilations of primarily previously released material (e.g., box sets, greatest hits, etc)

Let the recommendations begin!!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Re: CRF2 Best of the 90ís Poll: Recommendations Thread

And I will throw out the first recommendation too:

Silver Jews - American Water (1998)

ďIn 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection
Slowly screwing my way across Europe, they had to make a correction.Ē
Beginning with one of my favorite opening lyrics ever American Water is an album that combines incredible songwriting and musicianship. The band's sound is a completely unique mix of indie, country, americana and lo-fi. David Berman is a great songwriter combining insight and humor incredibly well. As a vocalist he fits in the unorthodox singers category with Bob, Neil, Lou Reed, etc.. Stephen Malkmus brings the Pavement sound to the album on guitar. For me, this album is the definition of a grower...it took a few listens to take hold but now it is definitely one of my favorites from the decade.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
darkglasses
Semi-retired Derailer

Give Thanks: 6

This list is going to be damn hard.
darkglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Crimson
Not only a Classic Rocker

Alot of shoegaze and dream-pop in my list I imagine
Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
ShuffleItAll
Guitar Romantic

I need to get familiar with the '90s...way too much stuff I haven't heard.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3499
Give Thanks: 23

GG Allin & The Criminal Quartet -- Carnival of Excess

Write-up: Now, if you cannot tolerate any swear words what-so-ever, this record isn't for you. But if you have any seedy punk rock in your soul, it may be up your alley. Severely tamer than GG's punk rock work, this is a rockin' country record inspired by the likes of The Rolling Stones and Hank Williams. In front of a killer backing band reminiscent of early Crazy Horse (circa Goldrush), GG's gin-soaked voice sounds better than ever as he articulates his lifestyle and philosophy with superior clarity over his more shock-value-styled punk songs. The world-weary worldview of punk rock's all-time most notorious scumbag gets presented with studio shine for the first time. If ever GG Allin crafted a record which demands the serious consideration of the world beyond the seedy underground, here it stands. Also included is a stunning cover of Warren Zevon's Carmelita.

Burzum -- Filosofem

Write-up: Black Metal began as the antithesis of all things traditional and the rejection of all things commercial. Yet one man admist the founders stood up on his own and decided not to follow even the traditions of his follow black metalers. On Filosofem, Burzum crafts a work for the ages which appears at once the epitome' of modern music and the reborn spirit of centuries past. With the dignity of classical composition and the electric magnitude of modern creation, Filosofem stands unknowingly and in equal parts as the precursor to the bombastic camp of modern black metal and the atmospheric strains of modern post-rock. As epic and overpowering as it is subtle and atmospheric, it seems to leave metal behind and usher in a new (as of yet unfollowed) age where noise and indie and extreme music collide under the banner of ancient strength.

I'd also love to throw Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-e' into the fray (by far his greatest work), yet tragically the full version of the concert didn't come out until 2003. The 90s version had a scant 4 songs...
Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Burzum -- Filosofem

Write-up: Black Metal began as the antithesis of all things traditional and the rejection of all things commercial. Yet one man admist the founders stood up on his own and decided not to follow even the traditions of his follow black metalers. On Filosofem, Burzum crafts a work for the ages which appears at once the epitome' of modern music and the reborn spirit of centuries past. With the dignity of classical composition and the electric magnitude of modern creation, Filosofem stands unknowingly and in equal parts as the precursor to the bombastic camp of modern black metal and the atmospheric strains of modern post-rock. As epic and overpowering as it is subtle and atmospheric, it seems to leave metal behind and usher in a new (as of yet unfollowed) age where noise and indie and extreme music collide under the banner of ancient strength.
I've been meaning to check out Burzum before their new album comes out...is this the best place to start?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg29 View Post
Quote:

Burzum -- Filosofem

I've been meaning to check out Burzum before their new album comes out...is this the best place to start?
Are you a fan of extreme metal, or no? For a metal fan, Burzum's self-titled debut is the easiest place to start, while for people who aren't interested in metal, Filosofem is certainly the place to start. Or if you want something a little inbetween, go for Det Som Engang Var. The only one I wouldn't reccomend out of the early albums is Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, which seems to be a favorite for ultra-kvlt metalheads but I find it falls behind the brilliance of Burzum, Filosofem and Det Som Engang Var.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Burzum -- Filosofem

Are you a fan of extreme metal, or no? For a metal fan, Burzum's self-titled debut is the easiest place to start, while for people who aren't interested in metal, Filosofem is certainly the place to start. Or if you want something a little inbetween, go for Det Som Engang Var. The only one I wouldn't reccomend out of the early albums is Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, which seems to be a favorite for ultra-kvlt metalheads but I find it falls behind the brilliance of Burzum, Filosofem and Det Som Engang Var.
Thanks!

And, by the way, have you ever heard the Driver-By Truckers' song "The Night GG Allin Came to Town":
Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Heh heh heh. I like that. But I can't tell if they're trying to be for him or against him. I'd think they could at least dig Carnival of Excess. Really it's one of the most old school country-rock records since the 70s. If I recall, GG got one of Johnny Cash's producers on that record or something.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
diezman
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 19

LARD - Last Temptation Of Reid
AC/DC - The Razors Edge
NIRVANA - Nevermind
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER - Black Moon
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - Core
ALICE IN CHAINS - Dirt
MASTERS OF REALITY - Sunrise On The Sufferbus
QUEEN - Made In Heaven
BLUE OYSTER CULT - Heaven Forbid
QUEENSRYCHE - Empire
BLIND MELON - Debut
KINGS X - Faith Hope Love
JANE'S ADDICTION - Ritual de lo Habitual
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezman View Post
AC/DC - The Razors Edge
NIRVANA - Nevermind
ALICE IN CHAINS - Dirt
QUEEN - Made In Heaven
QUEENSRYCHE - Empire
BLIND MELON - Debut
Hold those thoughts...remember we are recommending single albums now, not making best of lists yet.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
darkglasses
Semi-retired Derailer

Give Thanks: 6

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Broken Arrow
darkglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
diezman
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 19

Quote:
Quote:
AC/DC - The Razors Edge
NIRVANA - Nevermind
ALICE IN CHAINS - Dirt
QUEEN - Made In Heaven
QUEENSRYCHE - Empire
BLIND MELON - Debut
Hold those thoughts...remember we are recommending single albums now, not making best of lists yet.
oops! Sorry about that Bobby

Nirvana - Nevermind is my choice
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
bobbyg29
Professor of Rock n Roll

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
AC/DC - The Razors Edge
NIRVANA - Nevermind
ALICE IN CHAINS - Dirt
QUEEN - Made In Heaven
QUEENSRYCHE - Empire
BLIND MELON - Debut
oops! Sorry about that Bobby

Nirvana - Nevermind is my choice
No problem
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #16
Zombeels

Gameroom cash: $3682
Give Thanks: 1

I want to recommend 2 albums by the same band. For those of you who like guitar oriented rock with great melodies and amazing guitar solos.

Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On

Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
Wheeds
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1851
Give Thanks: 1

Quote:
AC/DC - The Razors Edge
NIRVANA - Nevermind
ALICE IN CHAINS - Dirt
QUEEN - Made In Heaven
QUEENSRYCHE - Empire
BLIND MELON - Debut
I thought Heaven Forbid was one of the best BOC records in quite a long time.
Wheeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkglasses View Post
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Broken Arrow
INDEED!

The 90s is not one of my favorite decades for Neil Young. But he released two of his greatest albums... the obvious Ragged Glory and the less obvious Broken Arrow. Just a phenomenal record. In my mind it's the deepest record Neil Young has made since Ragged Glory far and away, even now. The songwriting is better on Ragged Glory, but Broken Arrow's instrumentations are deeper than Glory's.

"I was walking down main street... not the sidewalk, but mainstreet." In a decade where Neil Young consistently released records which appear to strive towards hip darkness, Broken Arrow is the only one which truly succeeds in my mind. Sleeps With Angels, Mirror Ball, they have some great songs, no doubt. But Broken Arrow is deeper. I know I keep saying that, but I keep feeling it. The record's production is immaculately cool, with the music heavy and way up in the mix. It almost sounds like he could have Albini behind the glass. There's nothing really bluesy about the record, but it makes me think of Albert King or Albert Collins, because it's just this musical record, the whole point is to get this music out, these aren't lyrical, chorus-driven songs. And at the best portions, these guitar parts are the most inspired I've heard from Neil since Everybody Knows This is Nowhere! Parts of it seem to melt and vibrate into almost a noise type groove.