Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Reviews & Articles
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Reviews & Articles Member reviews & articles. Write or share a review or article about anything music related.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $42420
Give Thanks: 375
Dead and Company, Citi Field, Saturday, June 24th. 2017, Reviewed

I saw the Grateful Dead a few times in my youth, and always enjoyed them, but I was not an obsessive Deadhead like my younger brothers. I always thought their best work was their most focused, especially the Workingmanís Dead and American Beauty albums. Since Jerry Garicaís death the surviving members have carried on in various configurations. Dead and Company is the first one Iíve seen. There are many parallels to the last years of the Allman Brothers, with Weir being Gregg Allman, Kreutzman and Hart being Trucks and Jaimoe, and John Mayer and keyboardist Jeff Chimenti standing in for hired gun guitarist Trucks and Haynes. They even used the same bass player, Oteil Burbridge. While I always felt the Allmans were more than the sum of their parts due to the great chemistry they had, I did not always get the same feeling from Dead and Company.

It was clear from the start that this was going to be an uneven performance. It was not helped by a somewhat muddy sound system, surprising from a band that was always obsessive over the quality of their sound. At best, the band was thrilling; at worst they were almost unlistenable boring.

http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/de...-reviewed.html
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 AM   #2
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3134
Give Thanks: 106
Re: Dead and Company, Citi Field, Saturday, June 24th. 2017, Reviewed

Well, John Mayer is no Jerry Garcia, for starters.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, itís a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, itís a . . . well, hell, you canít really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $42420
Give Thanks: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw21925 View Post
Well, John Mayer is no Jerry Garcia, for starters.
That's for sure!
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, 7th Thinning Smash Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1325
Give Thanks: 6

"led into a 20 minute snorefest of drum solos and free form atonal bullshit. I guess I wasn’t stoned enough (or at all) to enjoy it. I know this has been a mainstay of Dead performances for years, but they would be better served by playing a couple more real songs. Bathroom break opportunity."

this says it all for me. Your not a dead fan your a fan of generic dead. You never understood the importance of the drum and solo space dead. The drum solo and space are part of the dead live show and actually when I saw them last year I enjoyed the drums and solo space stuff, something other bands have only attempted and usually fail or like most bands wouldn't dare go there because their fans would walk out. The dead have made a career of this in their live shows and have been successful at it. Stop with the f*cking I wasn't stoned or bathroom break stuff.

I agree the biggest problem with dead & Co is no Jerry and replacing him with J Mayer did nothing for me.
Don't blame the dead on the sound it was Citifield and I'm guessing you did't have great seats?

other than that nice review
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
APageMark
Like acid & oil on a madman's face
Find The Suspect Champion

Gameroom cash: $16239
Give Thanks: 197

I'm sure the sound improved. Some just need to find the right mix and adjust. I've seen McCartney @ both Citifield and Nationals Park. After a song or two, both were clear as a bell.

edit: now the mix was a bit muddy for Gabriel/Sting for me, but I'm not holding the artist responsible for sound quality out on Venus.
APageMark is online now   Reply With Quote