Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 60's > Beatles
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Beatles Dedicated forum for all Beatles and solo project discussions.

View Poll Results: Your favourite post-Beatle career?
Ringo 1 2.63%
John 16 42.11%
Paul 16 42.11%
George 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 10:15 PM   #1

Best post Bealte solo career

I searched, but didn't find it, feel free to delete if it's done (sorry for the over politeness, new and all)

Which Beatle had the best solo career (your own opinion)
My choice would be Lennon, mainly because he was my favourite Beatle to begin with. I like the music he made, it was varied (most of the time) and some of it had a message, which can be a plus.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Martin Q. Blank
You Set The Scene

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

John. His stuff is by far the most meaningful for me. It's not a flawless catalogue by any means, but the peaks are extraordinarily high, and even (most of) the weakest stuff is often interesting to listen to.

Paul would probably be second. I think about 1/3rd of his solo stuff is really good or great. In a 35 year solo career that includes a bazillion albums, that's not too shabby.

When George was at his best, he could scarcely be touched...even by Paul and John. However, his catalogue is probably the most scattershot of the three. About half his stuff is good or great...the other half I find interminably boring.

And Ringo...well, he's Ringo. Aside from "Ringo," pieces of "Goodnight Vienna" and some of his stuff from "Time Takes Time" onward, I just cannot get into him at all. And jeez, how many live albums does the guy need?
Martin Q. Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
zeppboy
The Hammer of the Gods

Gameroom cash: $2089
Give Thanks: 6

John
zeppboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
Harold
Classic Rocker

John.

He, Paul, and George were all hit and miss in their solo careers, partially I guess because they could only occassionally approach the magic they had collectively in the Beatles and the comparison was always going to doom and color everything they did. John's stuff was more consistently interesting and enjoyable to me. Ringo was just outgunned and was never meant to be a frontman singer/songwriter.

A side note: In listening to the solo work of the Beatles it really becomes apparent how much they tempered the excesses and weaknesses of each other while they worked together in the Beatles. They were the epitome of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts."
Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
BEATLE

John. Plastic Ono Band is one of my favorite albums ever, its a very emotional album and i like a lot.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
StellarCat

I went with Paul, although I love George too. John was never one of my favorites.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
cooperfan
Public Animal #9

Paul
cooperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Duvidoo

My favourite Beatle was always John but as far as their post-Fab careers go I have to give my nod to George. John and Paul should have been severely reprimanded for not using more of that great stuff that ended up on All Things Must Pass when they had the chance. I did like John's primal scream album (the one with GOD and MOTHER) a lot though.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Paul
Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Todd
Gravedigger

Georgie.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:40 AM   #11
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

Paul from '73-'79. He was on a roll.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:05 AM   #12
Rory
Blues-Rock Forever !!

John has always been my favorite Beatle, his "classics" like "Imagine", "Give Peace a Chance", "Woman", "Jealous Guy", "Workin' Class Hero" are historical...............
Old 09-14-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
Wayne

Thumbs up Re: Best post Bealte solo career

I voted for John because John Lennon Plastic Ono Band & Imagine are his only solo masterpieces. He had a few ups & downs afterward before Double Fantasy but Sometime In NYC is highly underrated.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #14
ilash
Classic Rocker

Paul.

Looking at his seventies career, he was easily the most consistent Beatle. Plus, of all the Beatles he's the one who kept the experimetal thing going as a whole lot of his seventies stuff is really interesting. If I was more of a lyrics guy I would probably vote John but since I'm not, it's Paul all the way.

My second favourite is actually George. All Things Must Pass is easily the best solo Beatles album and Brainwashed was a hell of a swansong.

John's solo stuff is pretty overrated. While Paul is often chastised for not paying attention to his lyric writing, John should be repremanded for so often allowing his music to fall to the way side. What ever happened to the adventurous music making that he showed so much of during the Beatles. Sure, John was usually very powerful emotionally but I just felt the music suffered too often and he could be very self indulgent. During their solo careers George and John were far more similar than John and Paul and I just prefer George who had better melodies and I find myself preferring his humble, likable personality that shone through his music more than John's confusing, borderline narcissistic personality that came through his personality.

Ringo is Ringo, what more can I say. I love his self-titled album but it's hard to take his solo career too seriously.
ilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
Martin Q. Blank
You Set The Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilash
Paul.

Looking at his seventies career, he was easily the most consistent Beatle.
Maybe commercially. The rest is all subjective.

Quote:
Plus, of all the Beatles he's the one who kept the experimental thing going as a whole lot of his seventies stuff is really interesting.
Experimental? I'm sorry, with very few exceptions, I cease to see how Paul's '70s material is "experimental" in any way.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
Martin Q. Blank
You Set The Scene

Okay, confession time: who voted for Ringo?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #17
ilash
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Q. Blank
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilash
Paul.

Looking at his seventies career, he was easily the most consistent Beatle.
Maybe commercially. The rest is all subjective.

Quote:
Plus, of all the Beatles he's the one who kept the experimental thing going as a whole lot of his seventies stuff is really interesting.
Experimental? I'm sorry, with very few exceptions, I cease to see how Paul's '70s material is "experimental" in any way.
Um, yes, it is subjective. Sorry, I know I presented what I said as fact but yes, this is all opinions.

Okay, maybe experimental isn't quite the right word... maybe "weird" or at least "thoroughly interesting" fit better but my point is that he continued to make his music as unpredictable as possible throughout the seventies. Just listen to something like Picasso's Last Words, Backseat of My Car or Little Lamb Dragon Fly. And yes, as you may have noticed, I think solo Paul can be better appreciated with his riskier album tracks than his often excellent but usually pretty straightforward hits.
ilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #18
Tkitna
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $2352
Give Thanks: 1

I've always enjoyed Pauls stuff for some reason. Yeah 'McCartney 2', 'Pipes of Peace', and 'Press to Play' (although I like half of the latter) are pretty wretched, majority wise, I love the rest of his catalog.

Tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote