Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 60's > Beatles
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Beatles Dedicated forum for all Beatles and solo project discussions.

View Poll Results: Your favourite post-Beatle career?
Ringo 1 2.63%
John 16 42.11%
Paul 16 42.11%
George 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #37
BEATLE
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRockinJohnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATLE
Hey Johnny, have you heard Ringo's new cd? If so, is it worth checking out?
BEATLE, I heard Ringo's new CD and I got to be honest, I didn't like it much...
it was just ok...
But!... Ringo's album before that was excellent!!...
2003's '' Ringo Rama'' was one of his best albums ever, in my opinion...
lots of great songs...

Eye To Eye...
Instant Amnesia (featuring Pink Floyd's David Gilmour on guitar)
Missouri Loves Company
Write One For Me (featuring Willie Nelson)...
Memphis In Your Mind
Love First, Ask Questions Later
I Think, Therefore I Rock 'N' Roll (featuring David Gilmore again)...

And Ringo's tribute to George Harrison, ''Never Without You'' with Eric Clapton on guitar...
Clapton lays down some fine guitar leads on this great song!!...
and many other great songs are on ''Ringo Rama''...
I highly recommend it


''Never Without You''
I

NGO STARR lyrics - "Never Wit
We were young, it was fun
And we couldn't lose
Time were right, overnight
We were headline news
Crazy days and reckless nights
Limousines and bright spotlights
We were brothers through it all

And your song will play on without you
And this world won't forget about you
Every part of you was in your song
Now we will carry on...
Never Without you
Within you without you
Here comes the song it's about you

Here today, not alone
With my memories
Life is strange how things change
It's reality
You played a beautiful melody
That keeps on haunting me
I can always feel you by my side

And your song will play on without you
And this world won't forget about you
Every part of you was in your song
Now we will carry on...
Never Without you(Never Without You)
Within you without you
(Within you without you)
Here comes the song it's about you

I know all things must pass
And only love will last
I'll always love the memory of you and me
Take it away Eric...

(solo)

And your song will play on without you
And this world won't forget about you
Every part of you was in your song
Now we will carry on...
Never Without you
(Never Without You)
Within you without you
(Within you without you)
I think that love is about you


Ill be sure to check it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #38
KC
Here kitty kitty.
 
KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: here
Posts: 1,691
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

Paul
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #39
Joey Self
A Voice Of Reason
Moderator
Guess Word Champion
 
Joey Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,097

Gameroom cash: $1432
Give Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Q. Blank

I think it definitely is a matter of semantics and personal interpretation. When I think "experimental," I think "avant garde." I think a couple of tracks on Lennon's solo albums are far closer to that than anything McCartney came up with, bar maybe "McCartney II" and The Fireman project.
Given that we were dealing strictly with the 70's, which of Lennon's tracks on POB through W&B do you find to be "avant garde?" The Primal Scream stuff, perhaps, like "Well Well Well?" I'm not recalling anything that period that broke out of the pop idiom (verse, chorus, maybe a bridge, outro), nor were there many variations in style (venturing into jazz or country, for example) or musical accompaniment, like bagpipes or spacey synths.

JcS
__________________
I'm part of the Mod Squad--the old guy in the suit.
Joey Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
Joey Self
A Voice Of Reason
Moderator
Guess Word Champion
 
Joey Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,097

Gameroom cash: $1432
Give Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

I never answered the question of this poll: Paul is the one that I feel had the best career after the breakup. Even if one takes only the output up to the time of John's death, Paul wins on having (1) a more varied catalog, under any definition, (2) a more successful one by the objective measures of sales, and most importantly in my choice (3) the one that stand up best to repeated plays.

George got off to a good start, and finished well with CLOUD NINE, but there were too many bumps in the road.

John had some critically acclaimed moments, but I don't find them to be that listenable, especially PLASTIC ONO BAND and WALLS AND BRIDGES. Two of his post-Beatle albums were mired with Yoko's songs along side his (and were labeled as such, so there was no deception to the public). His singles were good, though.

As for RINGO, the CD RINGO is just about all one has to have of his career, since it now contains "It Don't Come Easy" as a bonus track. There are spots on the other albums that I like, but just not enough of those spots.

JcS
__________________
I'm part of the Mod Squad--the old guy in the suit.
Joey Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #41
Martin Q. Blank
You Set The Scene
 
Martin Q. Blank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 975
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Q. Blank

I think it definitely is a matter of semantics and personal interpretation. When I think "experimental," I think "avant garde." I think a couple of tracks on Lennon's solo albums are far closer to that than anything McCartney came up with, bar maybe "McCartney II" and The Fireman project.
Given that we were dealing strictly with the 70's, which of Lennon's tracks on POB through W&B do you find to be "avant garde?" The Primal Scream stuff, perhaps, like "Well Well Well?"
Yeah, exactly. I find a few of those tracks to be fairly close in spirit to Yoko's avant garde/experimental work.
Martin Q. Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #42
Joey Self
A Voice Of Reason
Moderator
Guess Word Champion
 
Joey Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,097

Gameroom cash: $1432
Give Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Q. Blank

Yeah, exactly. I find a few of those tracks to be fairly close in spirit to Yoko's avant garde/experimental work.
But if he's doing the same thing, in spirit, Yoko was doing, was he experimenting? I'd think of it more as refining or adapting. Had he been blazing the trail, then I'd agree with you.

JcS
__________________
I'm part of the Mod Squad--the old guy in the suit.
Joey Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #43
ilash
Classic Rocker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Africa
Posts: 202
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Self
I never answered the question of this poll: Paul is the one that I feel had the best career after the breakup. Even if one takes only the output up to the time of John's death, Paul wins on having (1) a more varied catalog, under any definition, (2) a more successful one by the objective measures of sales, and most importantly in my choice (3) the one that stand up best to repeated plays.

George got off to a good start, and finished well with CLOUD NINE, but there were too many bumps in the road.

John had some critically acclaimed moments, but I don't find them to be that listenable, especially PLASTIC ONO BAND and WALLS AND BRIDGES. Two of his post-Beatle albums were mired with Yoko's songs along side his (and were labeled as such, so there was no deception to the public). His singles were good, though.

As for RINGO, the CD RINGO is just about all one has to have of his career, since it now contains "It Don't Come Easy" as a bonus track. There are spots on the other albums that I like, but just not enough of those spots.

JcS
No arguments here but you do know George released one more album after Cloud Nine, don't you? It's called Brainwashed and it's quite excellent.
ilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #44
Serena
It's all bullshit and it's bad for ya
 
Serena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Soaring high with the thunderbirds
Posts: 1,148
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Best post Bealte solo career

john had a lot of great stuff(if you actually like songs that make sense.) i still like paul's music best, mostly the 70's stuff. he had the most catchy stuff, with the weirdest lyrics. i enjoy it. though george had one of the best albums(all things must pass) even better than mccartney. ringo's music i never really followed. anyways, i vote paul.
__________________
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."-Carl Sagan


Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #45
Dude111
An Awesome Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location:
Posts: 329

Gameroom cash: $3143
Give Thanks: 43
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I have a hard time picking between John and Paul..... Both were quite good.....

I chose PAUL on the poll........
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List Of 70's Bands/Musicians TuskCracker 70's 51 12-16-2006 03:29 PM
Badfinger/Beatles fans: solo CD by Joe(y) Molland SgPepr 00's 3 07-12-2005 06:56 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -3. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted by: F5 / MVH Internet Services
Copyright 2005-2018, CRF2.com