Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 70's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

70's Discuss all your favorite classic rock & pop from the 70's.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
HotRockinJohnny

April Wine

Any April Wine fans out there?

Top 5/10 songs?

Favorite album?

April Wine is a Canadian rock band formed in 1969. According to the band, they chose the name 'April Wine' simply because members thought the two words sounded good together.[1] The band would go on to release over 20 albums and forge a live performance reputation that sees them still drawing devoted crowds across Canada and around the world 38 years after taking their first steps into the hard rock spotlight.

They recorded and released their debut self-titled album April Wine in 1971. The album spawned their first single, "Fast Train", which received fairly steady airplay on radio stations across Canada and established Myles Goodwyn as the band's main songwriter.

Under the guidance of producer Ralph Murphy, April Wine recorded their second album, titled On Record. The first single off the album was "You Could Have Been a Lady". The song would prove to be a tremendous success. It would hit number 1 on radio stations all across Canada,as well as cracking the Billboard Top 30 chart in the United States where it would stay for 11 weeks. Following quick on its heels, April Wine released their second single from On Record, titled "Bad Side of the Moon". This song, originally by Elton John would also find success on Canadian radio stations and was a minor hit in the U.S. as well. Both tracks remain staples on Classic Rock radio stations in Canada to this day.

April Wine's third album, entitled Electric Jewels was met with instant favour from the band's ever growing fan base. It contained songs such as "Weeping Widow", "Just Like That" and "Lady Run, Lady Hide" which would stay in April Wine's concert set lists for many years. The tour (called the Electric Adventure, to support the new album) was a huge success and featured a massive lighting and pyrotechnic show that dazzled fans from coast to coast.

The band hit hard with their fourth release, Stand Back. Riding on the success of the singles "Tonight Is A Wonderful Time To Fall In Love" and "I Wouldn't Want To Lose Your Love", the album went double platinum in Canada.The song "Oowatanite" became a concert favourite and stands as one of the most popular songs the band ever recorded.

April Wine's next release by the band would be titled The Whole World's Goin' Crazy. The album would be the first April Wine release to hit platinum status based on advanced sales orders alone. The album contained the popular title track as well as a successful smash single, the ballad "Like A Lover, Like A Song". Following the supporting tour for Crazy the band returned to the studio to record their sixth album, Forever For Now. The album would be another platinum seller and contained the bands biggest single to date, "You Won't Dance With Me".

In the summer of 1977, April Wine was booked to play a charity concert at the famed El Mocambo Club in Toronto, Ontario. Co-headliner on the bill was a band called "The Cockroaches," who turned out to be The Rolling Stones.The pseudonym was a poorly kept secret and huge crowds turned out for the event. April Wine's performance was captured and released as the album Live at the El Mocambo. The band got its first chance at touring the U.S. following the El Mocambo gig, first opening for The Rolling Stones, then for various popular headliners, including Styx, and Canadian band Rush.

1979 saw continued Canadian success, and the beginning of international success. The band's seventh album, First Glance, had an immediate impact and the first two singles were both successful on Canadian radio. It was the third single, a raucous rocker called "Roller", that brought the band mass appeal across North America. "Roller" started its momentum in Michigan and soon was a popular hit across the U.S., finding its way into the Billboard Top 30 where it stayed for 11 weeks. First Glance also found an audience in the U.S., staying on the Billboard album chart for many weeks, making it April Wine's first gold record outside of Canada. Constant touring helped propel the band to greater success, as American audiences from coast-to-coast embraced the hard rock of this "new" band from Canada.

Following on the popularity of First Glance, a very confident April Wine unleashed its hardest rocking album on Canadian and American audiences. The album was titled Harder ... Faster and lived up to its name with classic tracks like "Say Hello" and "I Like To Rock". Both were popular hits on both sides of the border and Harder ... Faster.

April Wine's first decade had seen the band go from Canadian success to international recognition and a hard rock force to be reckoned with. Expectations were high following the success of 1979's Harder ... Faster.

The Nature of the Beast leaped from record stores in January of 1981. Fan reaction was phenomenal and sales soared. Riding on the popularity of the smash hit singles "Just Between You And Me" and "Sign Of The Gypsy Queen", the album hit multi-platinum success back home in Canada, and was the first April Wine album to reach platinum status internationally as well. The album was an instant classic. Songs like "All Over Town", "Bad Boys", "Future Tense" and "Crash And Burn" were all crowd favorites. April Wine embarked on an exhausting support tour that saw them playing to their largest crowds ever and filling arenas everywhere they went.

Rather than continuing their ride of popularity and success, April Wine came to an abrupt but temporary halt following the tour to support The Nature of the Beast. Myles Goodwyn, the band's songwriter, producer and promoter was starting to feel the exhaustion of constant touring and recording. The band took a much needed rest.

After a hiatus of 18 months April Wine returned. Refreshed and ready to roll again, the band released their 10th album, titled Power Play. The album contained songs like "Enough Is Enough" , "If You See Kay" and "Anything You Want, You Got It". The latter would become the band's opening number on the supporting tour. The Power Play tour of 1982 was to be the largest tour in April Wine's history, complete with a huge stage and lighting show that fans had come to expect from the band. Fans, hungry to see them after being off the road for two years, flocked to see them in huge numbers. However, even though it had decent sales, Power Play was not met with the same critical acclaim their earlier albums had generated. Both album and singles charted well on Billboard's lists but did not have the same staying power earlier albums and singles had achieved. Despite still being a popular concert draw, the failure (as the band saw it) to top their previous albums was a letdown.

April Wine's 11th album, Animal Grace, started out with a quick rise on the charts. But it fell off just as quickly as it entered. The single "This Could Be The Right One" also suffered the same fate. The band got together for its announced "Farewell Tour".

In 1988 Myles Goodwyn moved back to Canada from his home in the Bahamas. Almost immediately he began to be hounded as to whether there would be an April Wine reunion. Talks started slowly with other members. Some were interested but other commitments were getting in the way. An April Wine reunion was almost written off. But by 1992, April Wine returned to the stage, starting with a sold out concert in Manitoba.

In 1993 the band released the first "true" April Wine album in a decade, titled Attitude. It was certified gold in Canada soon after its release and another album, Frigate in 1994. The band would release another album in 2001, entitled Back to the Mansion. Then in 2003 they released the live album called Greatest Hits Live 2003. In 2004 they released their first DVD / CD called From the Front Row ... Live!.

April Wine entered into its 37th year as a band in 2006. On Oct. 31, 2006, Aquarius Records released April Wine Rocks!, a brand new compilation of April Wine favourites, including a bonus live tune. A new album, entitled Roughly Speaking, was released on November 28, 2006.

April Wine continues to tour across Canada annually, and also plays festivals in Europe and in the United States.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1053
Give Thanks: 8
Re: April Wine

I'm not a huge fan, but I think "Roller" is an overlooked rock classic. First Glance is probably my favorite album, it's the only one I bought, but harder fasted was good too. They kind of jumped the shark for me with "Just Between You and Me". This was about the time some of my other favorite bands of the late 70's (REO, Journey, Styx) were going soft so I sort of lost intrest in all of them and started getting into the new wave of British heavy metal. I saw them open for Nugent and Nazareth at a festival once. They sounded great but we were about a half mile away.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
topjimmy
just back from Hell

Give Thanks: 0

Never really knew about them before Harder Faster, lots of history with them I guess. I'd have to say that album is the one that got me into them. I Like To Rock and Say Hello, 21st Century Schizoid Man were good. Roller from First Glance is a staple song definitely. Nature Of The Beast was too commercial for my taste. Sign Of The Gypsy Queen and Just Between You And Me were made for radio and the general masses. However, they are a great live band from everything I've heard about them.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
HotRockinJohnny

A cool 70's/early 80's rock band, with a lot of cool tunes...

Here's my Top 10 Favorite April Wine Songs...
in no particular order...

Roller
Weeping Widow
You Could Have Been A Lady
Hot On The Wheels Of Love
Sign of the Gypsy Queen
Oowatanite
I Like To Rock
Anything You Want, You Got It
Tonite Is A Wonderful Time to Fall in Love
Rock 'N' Roll Woman

Favorite Album :

Sign Of The Gypsy Queen, Tellin' Me Lies, Wanna Rock, All Over Town, Just Between You And Me, Big City Girls, Crash And Burn...

Probably April Wines most solidest album, in my opinion, just basic late 70's/early 80's rock, that sounds good.

I love throwing April Wine songs into my music mixes!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
mostfurious
Professional Slacker

Gameroom cash: $8438
Give Thanks: 24

I love April Wine!!

One of the greatest Canadian classic rock bands of all time imo..

A few favs:

Roller
Fast Train
Drop Your Guns
Rock and Roll is a Vicious Game
On Fire for you Baby
Weeping Widow
Sign of the Gypsy Queen
Oowatonight
Just Between You and Me
Tonite Is A Wonderful Time to Fall in Love
mostfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
diezman
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 19

I remember hearing "Roller" on WLS (Larry Lujack!) when I was a kid and digging it! Nobody around here heard of April Wine at the time.

"Nature Of the Beast" came out in the early 80s and April Wine almost became a household name. I got the album for Christmas and wore it out.

A local FM station played King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" back-to-back with April Wine's version once in the early 80s. I was blown away. I then picked up "Harder Faster"
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
topjimmy
just back from Hell

Nature Of The Beast IS a cool album cover, just wish it were harder rockin'. Here's a youtube clip from the early days of I Like To Rock & Roller. It's a twofer. This is around 10 minutes so......

Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
HotRockinJohnny

April Wine wasn't a heavy metal band, just a rock band...

but, they certainly rocked...

I think a lot of April Wine's songs were created to sound good on the radio, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe that 75% of rock bands in the late 70's/early 80's wanted FM Radio hits...just take a look at Led Zeppelin around that time, with ''Fool In The Rain'' and ''All My Love''....not exactly hard rock classics...

I think April Wine were masters of what they did...
and what they did was create great rock songs for that period...
nothing more and nothing less.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
RON WILSON
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 9

"first Glance" Was My Introduction To This Band.
"roller"..........a Couple Of Years Ago I Found The Song "bad Side Of The Moon"........an Early Elton John Song
Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
GreatKingRat
Classic Rocker

Great Canadian band. Roller totally rocks and was the reason I got into them many years ago. Saw them live a few times in small venues and they sound really great!
GreatKingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Just got April Wine Classics Masters.I have alot of their stuff on vinyl but very little on cd.Of the Canadian bands they are probably my favorite followed by Triumph
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
MagicRat
Hidin' on the Backstreets

Don't know a whole lot about these guys, but they've always had one of my favorite song titles: "If You See Kay".
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
Guarani
Shrediologist

I have a few of their early LP's from the 70's and liked April Wine, probably my favorite Canadian band next to Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush back around that time.
Guarani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1
Thumbs up Re: April Wine

Best Canadian band ever!!

Essentials (according to That 70s Guy)

Live (1974)

First Glance(1978)

Harder Faster (1980)

The Nature Of The Beast (1981)
Old 12-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
That 70s Guy
Bad

Superior -albums that helped cement their reputation (according to That 70s Guy)

Stand Back (1975)

Power Play (1982)

Ainmal Grace (1984)

Attitude (1993)
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #16
That 70s Guy
Bad

GOOD-Worth Exporing (according to That 70s Guy)

Electric Jewels (1973)

The Whole World's Goin' Crazy (1976)

Frigate (1995)
Old 12-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #17
That 70s Guy
Bad

AVOID!! (according to That 70s Guy)

Roughly Speaking (2006)
Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 AM   #18