Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #19
infidel
_.:._

Give Thanks: 0
Re: How did your favorite bands get their names? (or stage names~Solo & members)

Joan Anderson was an aspiring Canadian folk performer. She was pregnant (she later said she lost her virginity and got pregnant on the same night) and another singer, Chuck Mitchell agreed to marry her and take her to the US to try to make it big. She saw it as a great way to get out of the 'scandalous' position she was in.

Soon after they married, Chuck made it clear he would not raise another man's child, so they gave the child up for adoption. The pair did have some small success in the US, but Chuck was in control of the act and the pursestrings, which chaffed at the indepedent spirit Joni (as she was now called) had always had. Eventually she gave up on their marriage and they split, but as she was already making a name for herself as half of this couple, she retained the name Joni Mitchell from then on.

She was reunited with her daughter some 20-odd years later. The song Little Green from her album Blue is about the baby and having to give her up for adoption.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1287
Give Thanks: 6
Re: How did your favorite bands get their names? (or stage names~Solo & members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson
KING CRIMSON - Name given to the band by Pete Sinfield who was the band's lyricist and who co-wrote In The Court Of The Crimson King with Ian McDonald. The name was taken from the title of the song.
hey KC check this out according to

https://www.classicbands.com/names.html

KING CRIMSON
Their original lyricist, Peter Sinfield, thought of it as a synonym for Beelzebub, which is Hebrew for 'Lord of the Flies'. Beelzebub was Satan's chief lieutenant among the fallen angels.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
hightea
Administrator

Jefferson Airplane-
It was Jorma who named the band. "I had this friend up in Berkeley, Steve Talbot, and he came up with funny names for people," explains Jorma. "His name for me was Blind Thomas Jefferson Airplane (for blues pioneer Blind Lemon Jefferson). When the guys were looking for band names and nobody could come up with something, I remember saying, 'You want a silly band name? I got a silly band name for you!'"

Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstruly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bof
P.F.M ..Italian 70's prog rock band...Premiata Formeria Marconi
gone into the mists of time now..
what is the translation of the name & why did they choose it?
I can answer that Premiata Formeria Marconi was the name of the bakery that sponsored them.

By the way if you don't own "Storia di un Minuto" you should get it now

Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
KC
Here kitty kitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea
Quote:
KING CRIMSON - Name given to the band by Pete Sinfield who was the band's lyricist and who co-wrote In The Court Of The Crimson King with Ian McDonald. The name was taken from the title of the song.

KING CRIMSON
Their original lyricist, Peter Sinfield, thought of it as a synonym for Beelzebub, which is Hebrew for 'Lord of the Flies'. Beelzebub was Satan's chief lieutenant among the fallen angels.
Interesting but on this site:

https://www.songsouponsea.com/q&a1.html#king

Andrew Keeling did an interview with Sinfield.

Andrew Keeling:
Is the name King Crimson really a synonym for Beelzebub?

Peter Sinfield:
"Despite the possibility that I may have flippantly (an 'r' is optional) have stated it to be so. . . it is not.

Granted that the NAME was taken from ITCOTCK in a moment of pressured panic. Not the least because it had the IMHO brazen impact of say, Led Zeppelin! The 'song' which you will recall I had written some time before (well, the words, and when you hear the Hyde Park tapes, the yet to be finalised - words). Before I became the 'fifth member' Is not really that Good v Evil - simplistic. It's not just about Faustian seduction.

It's more in the tradition of er, "Blowing in the Wind", to which it nods... in respect, about the admission of frustration & feelings engendered (and even perhaps perversely enjoyed?) regarding one's slight ability to do very much more than project a movie of man's (without the need of any overseeing beelzebub) inherent ongoing, DNA fed, poetic, cruelty unto man. In the HOPE that any increase of that awareness is worthwhile. It is perhaps ironic that in a few places the grandeur of the music of ITCOTCK confuses the issue... or not?
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #24
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

KING CRIMSON

Andrew Keeling:

Peter Sinfield:
"Despite the possibility that I may have flippantly (an 'r' is optional) have stated it to be so. . . it is not.

Granted that the NAME was taken from ITCOTCK in a moment of pressured panic. Not the least because it had the IMHO brazen impact of say, Led Zeppelin! The 'song' which you will recall I had written some time before (well, the words, and when you hear the Hyde Park tapes, the yet to be finalised - words). Before I became the 'fifth member' Is not really that Good v Evil - simplistic. It's not just about Faustian seduction.

It's more in the tradition of er, "Blowing in the Wind", to which it nods... in respect, about the admission of frustration & feelings engendered (and even perhaps perversely enjoyed?) regarding one's slight ability to do very much more than project a movie of man's (without the need of any overseeing beelzebub) inherent ongoing, DNA fed, poetic, cruelty unto man. In the HOPE that any increase of that awareness is worthwhile. It is perhaps ironic that in a few places the grandeur of the music of ITCOTCK confuses the issue... or not?
leave it to Pete to confuse the issue.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #25
KC
Here kitty kitty.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

KING CRIMSON

Andrew Keeling:

Peter Sinfield:

leave it to Pete to confuse the issue.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #26
alex

Not as clever a site as it thinks it is...

DOORS
From a William Blake quote 'If the doors of perception were to be cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite'. The Doors were originally called the Psychedelic Rangers.

This is absolute nonsense Psychedelic Rangers were a short lived band Densmore and Krieger had been involved in and had nothing at all to do with The Doors.....The Doors were originally Ray Manzarek & his brothers band Rick & The Ravens and Jim Morrison but were renamed The Doors by Morrison from the time of Morriosn joining..... John Densmore joined shortly after and when Manzareks brothers left introduced Robby Krieger who was playing with a band called The Clouds at that time..... same with Alice Cooper....Vince Furnier used the name Alice from the outset not when the band split up....coincidentaly some sources quote a Jim Morrison involvement in that name as the band were pals of The Doors during their LA Nazz days... but its not likely
Old 03-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #27
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Lynyrd Skynyrd was named after Leonard Skinner,a teacher at the high school that the band members didn't like.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #28
blackjackwally
We don't dial 911.

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

(copied from their website)

We plowed thru a number of names when we first got started---"Burlap Underwear" was my favorite at the time---none of them made any sense to us---we really thought the whole idea of a name was somewhat absurd. So finally we came up with "Cosmic Corncob and His Amazing Ozark Mountain Daredevils". It was more of a joke than anything else---however, a record deal came along rather quickly and we shortened it to the Ozark Mountain Daredevils---and the record company, to our surprise, loved it. I always hated the name even though it was my idea. Until lately that is. Now I think it's great---it really does explain who we are---what we are about---and where we're from. And besides it's a hell of alot better than "the Beach Boys". -John Dillon
blackjackwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:59 AM   #29
Dr. Weber
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex
My three fave bands.....

Lindisfarne were named by Charisma producer John Anthony who was a southerner who had lived in the NE of England. The band were called Brethren and found out that Brethren were also a US band and it looked like that one would be making it big so a name change was needed.......a lot of arguments ensued so Anthony suggested they look for something to do with Newcastle or the NE area.......getting nowhere with the band members Anthony just said in his best cockney accent 'whats this Lindisfarne then' reffereing to the island off the NE coast....they thought it was a horrible name but Anthony liked it so the band was now Lindisfarne....Brethren in the US sank without trace shortly afterwards.....
A month or so ago I thought about starting a thread on Lindisfarne after reading your post about the number of times you saw them in concert. I daresay that a majority of the American members are unfamiliar with this band because their success stateside was minor. Their albums were issued in the states and promoted with ads in the music magazines... Fog On the Tyne, Dingley Dell, and Roll On, Ruby (now playing)... including one ad that emphasized their British roots and character by saying that most Americans probably can't even pronounce their name. Well, ever since then I have wondered, how is Lindisfarne pronounced? And while it may be as simple as it looks, Lin-dis-farne, I think of Southwark in London as a British place name that most Americans mispronounce.

Dr. Weber
Dr. Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 AM   #30
Dr. Weber
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip'nn2Darkness
Iron Butterfly,Canned Heat
Iron Butterfly represents the heaviness and lightness in the band's music,an idea appropriated by Michael Stipe of R.E.M. when he suggested to Johnette Napolitano that she name her band Concrete Blonde.

As I mentioned in the thread about Canned Heat, they took their name from Tommy Johnson's "Canned Heat Blues," a song from the 1930s. Canned heat is another name, a slang name, for Sterno, a denatured alcohol gel in a metal can used for heating and, although not recommended, for cooking.

Dr. Weber
Dr. Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 AM   #31
Humble Pie
Philanthropist

Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance,
After the demise of Rod Stewart and the Faces Ronnie Lane was outlining what he intend doing by forming a band that would prominently play Country style music.When Ronnie asked Rod what he thought his chances of success were Rod replied "Slim".

So the story goes ?
Humble Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #32
Humble Pie
Philanthropist

David Bowie christened David Jones, replaced the "Jones" with "Bowie" because of the popularity of Davy Jones of the Monkees at the time.
Humble Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #33
bof
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstruly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bof
P.F.M ..Italian 70's prog rock band...Premiata Formeria Marconi
gone into the mists of time now..
what is the translation of the name & why did they choose it?
Hi
PFM,still active I think...got their name..Prematia..not sure of the actual translation but it was to remind them of the the long path through the ranks of bands..and the Formeria Marconi bit is from a sign outside a bakery shop.... and got "asked"by the record company to make it less of an unweildy name
Les..aka bof
bof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #34
alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weber
A month or so ago I thought about starting a thread on Lindisfarne after reading your post about the number of times you saw them in concert. I daresay that a majority of the American members are unfamiliar with this band because their success stateside was minor. Their albums were issued in the states and promoted with ads in the music magazines... Fog On the Tyne, Dingley Dell, and Roll On, Ruby (now playing)... including one ad that emphasized their British roots and character by saying that most Americans probably can't even pronounce their name. Well, ever since then I have wondered, how is Lindisfarne pronounced? And while it may be as simple as it looks, Lin-dis-farne, I think of Southwark in London as a British place name that most Americans mispronounce.

Dr. Weber
Funny thing was that many Americans pronounced the name Linda's Farm or Lindas Fun ....I know a few Yanks that are big fans.......thats how I got to visit the States...my mate Tom Finn who knew me a bit at that time from my Doors site was a huge fan and came to England to see them in 2001 and happened to start off in Stockton....so I went along and as a result got invited to Massachusetts.
Tom had seen them on their first US tour and had played on stage with them during their 2000 tour of the US at a gig in Worcester.....
They were signed to the same label as The Doors in the early 70s and Jac Holzman who ran Elektra was fond of them......Run For Home was a hit in the US in the late 70s.....
The actual pronunciation is as you state Lin-dis-farne....its a nice place to visit by the way.......

"Linda’s Farm Are Gonna Be Big"from Melody Maker April 8th, 1972 -
Lindisfarne’s Alan Hull reports on the band’s first US tour ...

They say Alan Hull arrived in New York with a suitcase containing a bottle of Guinness and a change of underpants. Somebody in the Lindisfarne camp muttered that after a week, Hull began to smell a bit. Funny, but after a week Lindisfarne began to swing a bit, and a couple of days later they were being toasted in some enviably high New York circles. Somebody asked me if I’d ever heard of Linda’s Farm. This American then reassured me that Linda’s Farm were going to be big, big, big. A lot of us already knew that, but it was enjoyable to be told by an American.

“America is a canny place. America is crazy,” says Hull with a fair amount of arrogance. I’d traced him to a Holiday Inn. Los Angeles. It was a couple of hours before the band were due to make their debut at the city’s Troubador Club and Hull was muttering something about sabotaging the gear of Don McLean, who was topping the bill.

“What amazes me,” said Hull, “is that we’ve all managed to keep sane. We’ve been over here a long while now, and it’s beginning to tell a bit. Home certainly seems a delightful place to think about. Listen, there’s another police siren, they never stop, do they? They never stop.” Lindisfarne haven’t stopped either. Not only has their first American tour turned out to be successful but it’s also been a non-stopper. They toured with The Kinks, then they toured with Fairport Convention, then they toured with Seatrain. Then they played with Tim Buckley.

Despite promises of pre-publicity from Charisma’s American label, they arrived at each gig unknown and unheralded. Sometimes they were third on the bill. And that’s a hard one. “It’s been varied as far as reception,” said Hull. “Take Cleveland, where they really freaked over us. Then take San Francisco, where we played with Buckley. We came on stage, had a blow, and the audience just sat there and stared, but I found that interesting – they weren’t baffled, they were just in a state of having to listen. We know we’ve got to sow the seeds, and we know we’ve got to put up with this.”

Ray Jackson’s mouth harp extravaganza still includes ‘Theme From Z Cars’ and ‘Blaydon Races,’ but recent additions like ‘Deep In The Heart Of Texas’ have struck gold with American hearts. Jacka has in fact become some minor people’s hero, especially on the East Coast. There the band got an enormous selection of “rave” reviews, and Jacka was THE working class hero.

But the news from Los Angeles was that the band was “skint.” Success had come with the making of friends. It couldn’t really have been expected that Lindisfarne would make all that much bread. Money, America, and English bands tend to have been blown out into some sort of myth. In Frisco they were paid about £250 for a week’s work. When it came to the end of the residence the club manager told them that they owed him about £40. They had in fact drunk their way through their fee. He told them they’d drunk more beer than he usually sold in a year. In fact they’d get through 13 jugs of ale an evening and approximately 18 carafes of wine a night too. Well, that isn’t bad.

The drinking crunch came at a smallish city in Texas, which turned out to be totally “dry.” The Lindisfarne camp searched, and searched for ale. None was found, and for possibly the first time in their history the Newcastle lads took to the stage as sober as the legendary judge.

“It’s funny how some people have taken to our humour. Americans themselves I find to have a canny sense of humour. You know, strange,” said Hull.“But we are now finding that audiences are obviously listening to us fully. There have been gigs where we have known damned well that the club has just been a meeting place. Nobody wanted to know about music.”

The never ending rush of experiences, that America churns up looks like producing a new rash of Hull songs. “I haven’t had time to lay any down as yet, but Christ, I’ve got a million ideas in my head. I can feel them building up, and well, when I get back I know I’m going to say I’m glad America happened.”

“I know we all feel a bit strange being over here when ‘Fog On The Tyne’ and ‘Meet Me On The Corner’ are doing grand business. We’ve never experience basking on glory, and now that glory has come, here we are in America. And everyone says Lindis-Who? Yes, we’re beginning to miss things. Christ, I even missed seeing our Top Of The Pops. You know, it was a life’s ambition to see myself on Top Of The Pops. Did it look good? Just wait till we get back.”

Maybe Hull is after a change of clothes. Well, just maybe.They’ll find a lot happening. For a start they’ll find that they’re topping the bill at the Paris Olympia on June 5. And that’s going places.

Roy Hollingworth

Old 03-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #35
CharlieG
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex
The Blue Oyster Cult were christened by Sandy Pearlman...... the rock critic who managed the then Stalk Forest Group (named also by him after a plate of mushrooms)...... by him (supposedly) going out of the room and returning with the rider that whatever he said when he came back was the groups name.
Obviously a reference to the New York gay bar......they were a weird bunch bless em.
Guitarist Don 'Buck Dharma' Roeser was called Buck because of his teeth.....
Let's see. . .Where to begin. . . First off, Blue Oyster Cult came from an epic poem that Sandy had written. The whole Blue Oyster Bar was part of the first "Police Academy" movie - a bit after BOC came into being. It had nothing to do with food. Remember, that they also had a couple of other names (i.e., Oaxaca, Soft White Underbelly) before the settled on BOC.

Donald got his stage name, along with the rest of them, from Sandy. He was the only one who kept it because it was a cool blending of the East/West - "Buck" from the West, and "Dharma" from the whole dharmic concept in Hinduism.

Other stage names for the band, IIRC, were: Jesse Python (Eric Bloom); Prinz Omega (Albert Bouchard); LaVern (Allen Lanier); Andy Panda (Andy Winter).

The guys are still gigging about 80 nights a year, albeit as with only 3OC on board (Buck, Eric, Allen).
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #36
infidel
_.:._

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Pie
David Bowie christened David Jones, replaced the "Jones" with "Bowie" because of the popularity of Davy Jones of the Monkees at the time.
And took the name Bowie from the Western hero Jim Bowie and knife named after him.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote