Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
yarstruly
Musician/Teacher/Fan

Give Thanks: 0
How did your favorite bands get their names? (or stage names~Solo & members)

There are many expert fans on various classic bands here. Lets share our knowledge....Of course some band name origins are very well known (Led Zeppelin from Keith Moons Joke about how Jimmy Page's new band would go ove like a Lead Balloon)....but some are more obscure (like what exactly is a Foghat?)....

I'll start wih Yes....

Apparently the original line up was suggesting names and Peter Banks (original guitarist) just kept repeating "Yes" and they asked him do you mean "The Yes?" and he just kept saying "no...Just Yes" and it stuck for far longer than Peter Banks did in the band he named.....

OK...now someone else share one with us....

Raven's mist has moved! Check out the new improved site! https://www.ravensmist.com/servlet/StoreFront
yarstruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Slip'nn2Darkness

Re: How did your favorite bands get their names? (or stage names~Solo & members)

Good Topic Yarstruly. I havn't a clue as to why or how names are drawn but if anybody could shed some light on these names??

Wishbone Ash.. What someone torched a wishbone one day and they looked at with amazement and saw God? Why??

Three Dog Night?? Hello??

Doobie Brothers.. Was there a doobie name in there anywhere?

Godflesh..Help???
But I do dig the 60's name a ton like The Electric Prunes, Iron Butterfly,Canned Heat..
Now those are some cool names..

Slip'nn2Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
yarstruly
Musician/Teacher/Fan

Re: How did your favorite bands get their names? (or stage names~Solo & members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip'nn2Darkness
Good Topic Yarstruly. I havn't a clue as to why or how names are drawn but if anybody could shed some light on these names??

Wishbone Ash.. What someone torched a wishbone one day and they looked at with amazement and saw God? Why??

Godflesh..Help???
But I do dig the 60's name a ton like The Electric Prunes, Iron Butterfly,Canned Heat..
I can tell you about 3 Dog Night & The Doobie Bros....

3 Dog Night as I understand it is a slang term for a very cold night, when it would take having 3 dogs in the bed to keep one warm.....

And the Doobie Brothers...well..they just liked to smoke Doobies, so I guess they were "Brothers" in that sense...

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand these)

Raven's mist has moved! Check out the new improved site! https://www.ravensmist.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old 03-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Slip'nn2Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstruly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip'nn2Darkness

Godflesh..Help???
I can tell you about 3 Dog Night & The Doobie Bros....

3 Dog Night as I understand it is a slang term for a very cold night, when it would take having 3 dogs in the bed to keep one warm.....

And the Doobie Brothers...well..they just liked to smoke Doobies, so I guess they were "Brothers" in that sense...

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand these)
Well OK no corrections needed I believe ya!
But this looks like a good thread..

Slip'nn2Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Old Hippie
Scooter Jockey

ZZ Top :

According to Gibbons, the name came from one or more of the following: the two brands of rolling-paper, Zig-Zag and Top, a tribute to blues legend Z.Z. Hill, and/or Gibbons seeing the two words running together on a dilapidated bill board ...
Old 03-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Crazy Don
Overgrown boy!

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $11612
Give Thanks: 32

Bay City Rollers:

They stuck a pin in a map of the United States and it landed on Bay City, Michigan.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Notch
Rockin 4 Jesus

The Allman Brothers Band.... formed by brothers Greg Allman & Duane Allman... pretty self-explanitory :)

Gov't Mule -- I'd like to find the right answer.. this one has been presented:

"When members of the Mule were still in the Allman Brothers Band, Allmans drummer Jaimoe made a comment about the size of a woman's butt. The woman was the late wife of James Brown, and she was a rather hefty woman. According to the band, Gov't Mule is a term for a big lady's butt."

And then there is the bit that goes along with Gov't Mule's song "Mule" which talks about during the Civil War how the government offered 40 acres and a mule in return for service in the Army.
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Harold
Classic Rocker

Pink Floyd

Named after obscure blues artists Pink Anderson & Floyd Council
Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
bof
Classic Rocker

P.F.M ..Italian 70's prog rock band...Premiata Formeria Marconi
gone into the mists of time now..
bof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
bof
Classic Rocker

The Faces.....originally made up from members of the Small Faces..named because of the "mod" look of the band and the higher members of the The Mods where called Faces,and all members of the group where small in stature..hence Small Faces..
bof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
infidel
_.:._

Everything But The Girl - Before the incarnation (just Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt) that appeared on their albums, they were part of a bigger band. They auditioned for a record company and the exec said, "I like everything but the girl" and said if they ditched her they could have a contract. They refused. Later the phrase was used as a name for the Thorn/Watt collaboration.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
yarstruly
Musician/Teacher/Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bof
P.F.M ..Italian 70's prog rock band...Premiata Formeria Marconi
gone into the mists of time now..
what is the translation of the name & why did they choose it?

Old 03-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
alex

My three fave bands.....

Lindisfarne were named by Charisma producer John Anthony who was a southerner who had lived in the NE of England. The band were called Brethren and found out that Brethren were also a US band and it looked like that one would be making it big so a name change was needed.......a lot of arguments ensued so Anthony suggested they look for something to do with Newcastle or the NE area.......getting nowhere with the band members Anthony just said in his best cockney accent 'whats this Lindisfarne then' reffereing to the island off the NE coast....they thought it was a horrible name but Anthony liked it so the band was now Lindisfarne....Brethren in the US sank without trace shortly afterwards.....

The Doors were originally the idea of Jim Morrison and his UCLA pal Dennis Jacobs who would later be heavily involved in the film Apocalypse Now (he is the reason for the intro). They discussed forming a music duo called The Doors: Open & Closed.
But as neither of them played an instrument or could sing it got no further......later when Jim met Ray Manzarek he threw the name into the ring and the rest is history.
####The name was a reference to the Blake poem and the book by Huxley####

The Blue Oyster Cult were christened by Sandy Pearlman...... the rock critic who managed the then Stalk Forest Group (named also by him after a plate of mushrooms)...... by him (supposedly) going out of the room and returning with the rider that whatever he said when he came back was the groups name.
Obviously a reference to the New York gay bar......they were a weird bunch bless em.
Guitarist Don 'Buck Dharma' Roeser was called Buck because of his teeth.....
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #14
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

A few selections lifted from https://www.classicbands.com/names.html

GRATEFUL DEAD
Refers to a series of Old English folk tales with the same basic theme. A traveler enters a village and finds the villagers desecrating, or refusing to bury the body of a dead man because he died owing creditors money. The traveler pays the dead man's debts and sees to a decent burial. Later in his travels, the man is saved by a mysterious event, which is credited to the dead man's grateful spirit. Hence, the Grateful Dead. The band was originally the Warlocks, and picked Grateful Dead out of a dictionary after realizing there was another band called the Warlocks.

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD
The band named themselves "Grand Funk Railroad" after a Michigan landmark, The Grand Trunk Railroad.

BLACK SABBATH
Named after a 1963 horror movie starring Boris Karloff.

BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD
The band took their name from a brand of heavy asphalt roller they saw while stuck in Los Angeles traffic.

CREEDANCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
Originally called The Golliwogs, unconfirmed reports say the band took their new name from Norvel Creedence, a friend of band leader John Fogerty. John's favorite beer was called Clearwater, which, after it disappeared from the market for a time, was re-introduced by another brewery. The result: Creedence Clearwater Revival.

JUDAS PRIEST
Taken from the Bob Dylan tune "The ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest".

PEARL JAM
According to lead singer, Eddie Vedder, "The name is in reference to the pearl itself... and the natural process from which a pearl comes from. Basically, taking excrement or waste and turning it into something beautiful."

RUSH
They were rushing to think up a name before their first gig, and John Rustey's older brother yelled, "Why don't you call your band Rush?".

SUPERTRAMP
Named after a book called 'Autobiography Of A Supertramp', written by R.E. Davies in 1910.

WHO
While taking suggestions for a new name, someone noticed that the band members were already so hard of hearing that they kept saying, "The who?".
Old 03-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
yarstruly
Musician/Teacher/Fan

excellent...

Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
infidel
_.:._

Bob Dylan (nee Zimmerman) took his stage name from Welsh poet Dylan Thomas.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #17
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1287
Give Thanks: 6

According to Daevid Allen

Gong- recalled as "a large number of musicians and singers improvising around nothing for hours on end, completely stoned."

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
KC
Here kitty kitty.

KING CRIMSON - Name given to the band by Pete Sinfield who was the band's lyricist and who co-wrote In The Court Of The Crimson King with Ian McDonald. The name was taken from the title of the song.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote