Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 60's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

60's Discuss your favorite classic rock & pop from the 60's.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $48232
Give Thanks: 401
10 forgotten musical variety shows of the 1960s

Dick Clark created an empire out of his popular musical variety shows, starting in the 1950s. But between American Bandstand's roaring 1950s premiere and Soul Train's stirring 1971 debut, the 1960s introduced a slew of similar shows, designed to make the kids want to get up and dance.

These shows weren't just obsessed with pop songs, but also tapped into folk, country and rock. Some featured house bands that were home to giant talents, from Glen Campbell to Paul Revere and the Raiders. Others relied on the energy of their go-go dancers, like The Shin-Diggers seen in the photo above. Whatever the format, there was no lack of hit songs driving these shows to persuade teens to tune in week after week.*

Below, we've danced back through music TV history to unearth 10 forgotten musical variety shows that convinced '60s viewers that tapping their toes was better than touching the dial, any day of the week.

https://metv.com/lists/10-forgotten-...s-of-the-1960s
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
dwill123
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $3334
Give Thanks: 0
Re: 10 forgotten musical variety shows of the 1960s

The regional nature of this show is probably why it didn't make the list but in the New York area we used to watch 'The Clay Cole Show' every Saturday evening. Wiki lists it as 'The Clay Cole Show' but I remember it as 'Clay Coles' Discotheque. It was every bit as good (if not better) than American Bandstand. I remember watching the Temptations and others on this show. YouTube used to have a lot of videos from this show now they all seem to have been removed.

Another show I remember from the 60s was The Lloyd Thaxton Show. Syndicated nationally maybe not everyone got this one back then. Another Bandstand type show but with a little more edgier (for the 60s) type groups.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $48232
Give Thanks: 401
Re: 10 forgotten musical variety shows of the 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill123 View Post
The regional nature of this show is probably why it didn't make the list but in the New York area we used to watch 'The Clay Cole Show' every Saturday evening. Wiki lists it as 'The Clay Cole Show' but I remember it as 'Clay Coles' Discotheque. It was every bit as good (if not better) than American Bandstand. I remember watching the Temptations and others on this show. YouTube used to have a lot of videos from this show now they all seem to have been removed.

Another show I remember from the 60s was The Lloyd Thaxton Show. Syndicated nationally maybe not everyone got this one back then. Another Bandstand type show but with a little more edgier (for the 60s) type groups.

I definitely remember 'The Clay Cole Show". Thanks for sharing.
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote