Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (https://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   Main Rock Lounge (https://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What Are You Listening To? (https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=49759)

dr wu 09-19-2022 10:59 AM

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Quote:

Originally Posted by triptych (Post 1317049)

Much better.....not :lol:

triptych 09-19-2022 02:02 PM

∆∆∆ You need an overhaul :)

triptych 09-19-2022 02:03 PM

Motion Device from Canada

dr wu 09-19-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triptych (Post 1317061)
∆∆∆ You need an overhaul :)

I need an overhaul because your video didn't post...? What..?
:dunno:

triptych 09-19-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1317063)
I need an overhaul because your video didn't post...? What..?
:dunno:

It posted for me ! I can see and hear the audio very well. We'll have to check if others here can view it?!!!

triptych 09-21-2022 01:45 PM

Marshall Stack 09-21-2022 03:29 PM

RazaManaz front man...

Dan McCafferty - Honky Tonk Downstairs.

Darth Pazuzu 09-21-2022 05:15 PM

Ever hear of a band from San Francisco called the Flamin' Groovies? For a long time, I've been curious about them. They often get namechecked in certain books I've read about '70s punk and new wave, as kind of a formative influence. Their Groovies Greatest Grooves compilation even made the discography in the appendix of Jon Savage's essential 1991 punk history England's Dreaming! Stylistically, their earlier records have a kind of grungy, rootsy, slightly bluesy pre-punk aggression, while their later albums have more of a retro, British Invasion power-pop vibe.

Anyway, I finally ordered a used copy of the aforementioned Groovies Greatest Grooves compilation on Amazon just recently, and while it didn't completely blow me away, I liked quite a few of their songs. There's a great attitude and spirit to their material, even if the songwriting isn't always up my alley. They actually make me imagine what '70s punk and new wave might have sounded like if more of those bands had felt more inclined to channel the spirit of Buffalo Springfield and The Byrds. Well, that's just my impression anyway.

Here are some of the tracks that really stood out for me...

triptych 09-22-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Pazuzu (Post 1317151)
Ever hear of a band from San Francisco called the Flamin' Groovies? For a long time, I've been curious about them. They often get namechecked in certain books I've read about '70s punk and new wave, as kind of a formative influence. Their Groovies Greatest Grooves compilation even made the discography in the appendix of Jon Savage's essential 1991 punk history England's Dreaming! Stylistically, their earlier records have a kind of grungy, rootsy, slightly bluesy pre-punk aggression, while their later albums have more of a retro, British Invasion power-pop vibe.

Anyway, I finally ordered a used copy of the aforementioned Groovies Greatest Grooves compilation on Amazon just recently, and while it didn't completely blow me away, I liked quite a few of their songs. There's a great attitude and spirit to their material, even if the songwriting isn't always up my alley. They actually make me imagine what '70s punk and new wave might have sounded like if more of those bands had felt more inclined to channel the spirit of Buffalo Springfield and The Byrds. Well, that's just my impression anyway.

Here are some of the tracks that really stood out for me...

I've been following the Groovies for eons....one of the top bands from Cali.

triptych 09-22-2022 05:51 PM

triptych 09-23-2022 10:44 AM

Marshall Stack 09-23-2022 06:08 PM

Bit of a fidget regarding genres tonight.... Sunburst, Axis.. now this-

Be-Bop Deluxe - Orphans Of Babylon.

Buckeye Randy 09-24-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Stack (Post 1317300)

Did you see the Be Bop catalog has been reissued on Cherry Red Records? "Live In The Air Age" has 15 CDs and 1 DVD! "Modern Music" is a five CD affair with a DVD. There are also packages that only include a few CDs.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/?s=be+bo...et_search=true

I saw Be Bop in 1977 supporting "Live In The Air Age" and it was one of the finest shows I ever saw. Opening band had just released their second album (Cheap Trick/In Color). I was probably the only person there for both bands. Good memory.

Marshall Stack 09-24-2022 11:48 AM

Thanks very much for that info Buckeye.. I wasn't aware of these releases. That gig sounded amazing!
Saw Be-Bop Deluxe several times... I caught them on their Drastic Plastic Tour.. pictured is the '79 tour brochure (I rarely lashed out the cash for these) beer was too important, thanks man.

Buckeye Randy 09-24-2022 01:08 PM

Always glad to help a brother out.

I have a few programs from concerts... Jethro Tull, Utopia and a few from Queen.

Marshall Stack 09-24-2022 03:51 PM

This Greek band have impressed me, the entire album is on the fringe of Garage revival :

Psycada - Forest.

dr wu 09-25-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Stack (Post 1317300)

Good band... I have all of them including Live In The Air Age with one lp on white vinyl.
I also have several of Nelsons ambient/atmospheric cd.s ...they are quite interesting especially for late night....try Chance Encounters ....
he has over 60 various ambient and electronic pop/rock type things...some are quite strange and some are accessible.
He was/is a proponent of western occult mysticism some of which is based on ideas of Austin Osman Spare (occultist and painter died 1956)

triptych 09-25-2022 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Stack (Post 1317352)
This Greek band have impressed me, the entire album is on the fringe of Garage revival :

Psycada - Forest.

Yep, the current garage revival in Greece is very outta sight....in my opinion, it's the best scene outside Europe, U.S.A., UK ....there are plenty of valid Greek garage bands and you can find many of them on Bandcamp thru labels like Fuzz Records etc.