Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (https://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   Main Rock Lounge (https://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Progressive Rock...? (https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=66792)

dr wu 04-04-2020 11:30 PM

Re: Progressive Rock...?

Love the early proto prog stuff .....especially the obscure ones.

dr wu 04-04-2020 11:43 PM

A monster psych track that most have never heard of....

Foxhound 04-06-2020 08:52 PM

House Without Windows is pretty blah but the other two I really like.

Here's one of my own very favourite unquestionably prog tracks:

:music:

dr wu 04-07-2020 09:44 AM

Like the early Floyd stuff....though to me it's more psych rock,,,but again semantics. ;)
here's an interesting track.....two guys who became well known rock 'gods' later....

dr wu 04-07-2020 10:01 AM

Another one I like,..I have their songs on a cd comp....

dr wu 04-07-2020 01:16 PM

BTW....Simon Dupree who did Kites changed into this band...much more difficult music to 'get into'. Even some in the prog rock community have trouble sometimes with their odd time signatures and style...'an acquired taste'...to be sure. ;)

dwill123 04-07-2020 02:34 PM

Here's one I don't even think PA knows how to classify. Haystacks Balboa, PA calls then 'heavy prog' and I've seen then called 'heavy psych'. I saw them 50 years ago opening for Steppenwolf. I can say is they were good and had a presence about them. You make the call.

dr wu 04-07-2020 10:16 PM

^ Good track....wild stuff....I'm going to listen to the whole thing on you tube. A Leslie West connection via Vagrants and his brother.
Never heard of them before...thanks.

dr wu 04-08-2020 10:31 PM

Love this band....early Brit proggy blues rock...

Foxhound 04-10-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290481)
One of my favorite early proto prog things.....Simon Dupree and the Big Sound...1967..can you tell me what band they morphed into?

No, not even after several listens. Not without looking them up.

:dunno:

dr wu 04-10-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1290592)
No, not even after several listens. Not without looking them up.

:dunno:

Simon Dupree didn't sound anything like Gentle Giant....big shift in sound. I have grown to like GG over the years but they can be difficult to absorb. I think the first lp and Acquiring the Taste are accessible....the later ones can be a challenge.

What did you think of The Gods, The Attack ,and Steamhammer...?

dwill123 04-10-2020 01:56 PM

I like Gentle Giant. My favorite is "The Power and the Glory". Surprising I also like their last album "Civilian" which is generally panned by most GG fans. I love the heck out of this song from that album:

dr wu 04-10-2020 02:53 PM

Would not have known that was GG.....sounded kind of like Manfred Mann to me.
That's the only studio lp by GG I don't have .

Foxhound 04-10-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290595)
What did you think of The Gods, The Attack ,and Steamhammer...?

Well now that I've had the chance to give them all fair multiple listens, I'm willing to say that I really like The Children of Heaven. Towards the Skies sounds pretty good as well.

I haven't been able to get into Colour of My Mind, Pantagruel's Nativity or Passing Through though.

:phones:

dr wu 04-11-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1290613)
Well now that I've had the chance to give them all fair multiple listens, I'm willing to say that I really like The Children of Heaven. Towards the Skies sounds pretty good as well.

I haven't been able to get into Colour of My Mind, Pantagruel's Nativity or Passing Through though.

Try this one from the Attack....I like their sound. BTW John Cann (du Cann) on guitar was later in Andromeda and Atomic Rooster for a while.

Gentle Giant can be hard to get into. One of the most quirky prog bands of the 70's.

I like the old early Brit blues rock bands that were a little proto prog at times. Steamhammer always caught my ear.....try this one..some TYA and Tull influence for sure.

dr wu 04-11-2020 10:48 AM

I'm sure you know this lp....Mick Abrams wanted to have his own band.....Tull didn't need two front men.

dr wu 04-11-2020 10:57 AM

One more from the old days....another one of those Brit blues bands that wanted to crossover into a more esoteric form of blues....a bit like Steamhammer and some Tull sounds also. I like all of those early Brit bands that did atmospheric blues rock or psych with a prog edge.

dwill123 04-11-2020 11:15 AM

If you see my name on any music sight you will sooner or later see me posting one of my all time favorites, David Sancious. This is from my favorite album by him "True Stories".

dr wu 04-11-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1290622)
If you see my name on any music sight you will sooner or later see me posting one of my all time favorites, David Sancious. This is from my favorite album by him "True Stories".

That was nice..I have heard of him but never bought anything.
I like the music..not a big fan of the vocals on that cut.

Foxhound 04-11-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290618)
I like the old early Brit blues rock bands that were a little proto prog at times.

I thought the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation would be one of those. But then I bought Doctor Dunbar's Prescription and I didn't know what to think.

:scratch:

dwill123 04-11-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290629)
I like the music..not a big fan of the vocals on that cut.

That album (if my memory serves me) may be the only one (or two) with vocals. The majority of his stuff are instrumentals.

dr wu 04-11-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1290630)
I thought the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation would be one of those. But then I bought Doctor Dunbar's Prescription and I didn't know what to think.

I do like his few albums he did with the Retaliation..he's drummed with many people over the years including Zappa.

Foxhound 04-11-2020 08:23 PM

Yes, but how would you categorize the music of the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation?

dr wu 04-11-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1290648)
Yes, but how would you categorize the music of the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation?

I don't think the Retaliation material was what I personally call 'progressive rock'...but blues rock with progressive elements at times.
He did play with bands/artists later that are in the prog rock area.
Again it's subjective .

Foxhound 04-14-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290618)
I like the old early Brit blues rock bands that were a little proto prog at times. Steamhammer always caught my ear.....try this one..some TYA and Tull influence for sure.

Wow! That was great. I'm going to look up more from Steamhammer without delay.

:smokin:

dr wu 04-15-2020 10:51 AM

Glad you liked it...what did you think of the above tracks by Blodwyn Pig and Gravy Train?

dr wu 04-15-2020 11:03 AM

Liked these guys also...not all that proggy but for a while Christine Perfect sang with them on a few lp.s , sound a bit like F Mac at times.

Foxhound 04-15-2020 12:13 PM

Chicken Shack I really like! Here with Peter Green guesting on guitar:

And here from after Christine McVie had left to join Fleetwood Mac:

Simply fabulous!

The rest I'm still rotating through prior to venturing an opinion. You and Dwill posted too many for a more immediate response.

Foxhound 04-16-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290620)
One more from the old days....another one of those Brit blues bands that wanted to crossover into a more esoteric form of blues....a bit like Steamhammer and some Tull sounds also. I like all of those early Brit bands that did atmospheric blues rock or psych with a prog edge.

Excellent track! I'll have to look up more by Gravy Train.

:thumbsup:

Foxhound 04-16-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290619)
I'm sure you know this lp....Mick Abrams wanted to have his own band.....Tull didn't need two front men.

Yes I do. And I like See My Way but it's not among my favourite Blodwyn Pig tracks.

I quite like these two tracks as well from the ones above though:

Magic in the Air - The Attack
Inside Out - Gentle Giant

The two by David Sancious though leave me underwhelmed.

dr wu 04-17-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1290729)
Yes I do. And I like See My Way but it's not among my favourite Blodwyn Pig tracks.

I quite like these two tracks as well from the ones above though:

Magic in the Air - The Attack
Inside Out - Gentle Giant

The two by David Sancious though leave me underwhelmed.

The Blodwyn Pig stuff is good fun...Abrams of course had a solo lp later but while decent blues it never had that something that the Pig did.
The Attack were one of those Brit bands that while good never became big. I didn't discover them until I started looking into obscure early Brit pop and freakbeat things.
That Giant track is from their last studio ...dwill123 posted it. I like the early GG material better.

dr wu 04-17-2020 10:18 AM

Another one of those short lived Brit bands....heavy bluesy psych rock...John Cann (Ducann) on guitar...from The Attack..he later formed Atomic Rooster.

dwill123 04-18-2020 12:35 PM

The Flower Kings are really one of my newer (for me) favorite bands. I've only been into them for a couple of years but they grew on me quickly.

dr wu 04-18-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1290757)
The Flower Kings are really one of my newer (for me) favorite bands. I've only been into them for a couple of years but they grew on me quickly.

I like TFK,,,,I have the first 7 albums....after a while the later ones sounded too similar to the earlier ones so I stopped buying them.
Might look into them again.

Foxhound 04-23-2020 08:46 PM

So I've been told that Jethro Tull is classified among the "Big Six" prog bands by hard core fans of the genre. Jethro Tull also ranks among my top ten bands. Back me into a corner and I'd have to pick these as my favourite three Jethro Tull cuts:

:music:

hightea 04-23-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290232)

As to prog rock...I mean any and everything that could be considered prog rock: classic stuff like King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis...all the way to newer bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Wobbler....etc.

Welcome Dr Wu, nice to see a prog thread on the old board.
While I listen to almost everything I have a big heart for prog.

The big six are all excellent although some have had their bad moments. I would put them in this order

Pink Floyd
Genesis
King Crimson
Yes
ELP
Jethro Tull

My favorite band is Gong, hence the username, mostly for their large family of musicians and various styles (love it all), Steve Hillage Band, Strawbs, Nektar, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, Hawkwind, Roxy Music(and related), Van Der Graaf Generator and everything Peter Hammill, PFM(plus about another 10 Italian bands), Camel, Harmonium, Magma, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti(and anything John McLaughlin) , Zappa, Mike Oldfield, Caravan and other Canterbury bands, Brand X (saw them with Phil Collins). so much more.

In regards to since the 70's

Marillion second singer and still going strong.
P Tree and now Steven Wilson's side stuff
Riverside
The Flower Kings
Ozric Tentacles
Hidria Spacefolk
Anglagard
Univers Zero and Present
IQ
Liquid Tension Experiment (prefer with T Levin)
Echolyn

plenty others feel free to ask about any of them.

I see lots of live shows this is the old blog

https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=892

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1290232)
I currently use the genres used by Progressive Rock Archives on line.They tend to be pretty inclusive and even have many sub genres like Symphonic all the way to Prog related and Crossover prog. I'm open minded about all of this but I tend to stick with the older bands from about '69 to '80 when I name them...though the 'experts' on Prog Archives have included many bands .
I was curious lf there was a dedicated thread for prog rock...I tend to be more interested in that the past few years.
:smile:

Prog archives has been to my go to reference for prog been arguing with CRF2(other boards too) members for years over what is prog.
It got so bad that I had to become a mod and then started paying for this site for a few years. haha

To me where prog separates from a progressive rock band of the 60's is most of it is not based on the blues. While I'm a fan of the blues and blues based rock bands but I need another perspective sometimes.

Also a big fan of lots of prog or proglike that most people don't consider prog
Radiohead
Sigur Ros
Kraftwerk
Swans

dr wu 04-23-2020 10:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome High Tea...
I also like Gong ..my favorite by them is You. but I like just about everything they did. Haven't bought anything post 1979.
I have something by all the bands you listed and some their whole discography. Crimson is probably my favorite of the prog bands though all the big 6 are excellent.
Hidria Spacefolk is the only one I haven't heard of. I'll be sure to ck them out. Lately been listening to the more obscure early Brit proto -prog blues rock/ psych rock bands ....Gravy Train, Steamhammer, Spooky Tooth, Gun, Andromeda, High Tide, Groundhogs, Patto, etc....so many of those around back in the day.

I like all the genres....I listened to Ash Ra Tempel- Join Inn earlier.
Looking forward to some good prog discussion....

dwill123 04-24-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightea (Post 1290840)
In regards to since the 70's

Marillion second singer and still going strong.

I recently (last couple of years) have started seriously getting into Marillion. I prefer Hogarth over Fish as the singer (a view which seems 180 from most over at PA). I checked out Marillion after I started listening to Transatlantic.

hightea 04-24-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1290848)
I recently (last couple of years) have started seriously getting into Marillion. I prefer Hogarth over Fish as the singer (a view which seems 180 from most over at PA). I checked out Marillion after I started listening to Transatlantic.

Starting listening to Marillion in the late 90's and at that time was more a Fish fan. However, since Marbles came out I started consider them equal. These days I would take H over Fish although those early Marillion albums are brilliant. Also like some of Fish's solo stuff.

dr wu 04-24-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1290848)

I could see Collins singing that one....I like some Marillion..both old and new but the new stuff is simply too easygoing for me. It doesn't even really sound proggy to me at times,, more like rock ballads.
And many of the tracks blend into one for me.
As an example...I like this song but it's basically the same type of rock ballad song as the one you posted...