Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (https://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   Main Rock Lounge (https://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Progressive Rock...? (https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=66792)

Foxhound 04-30-2020 10:45 AM

Re: Progressive Rock...?

My favourite track by Emerson, Lake and Palmer:

I love the accordion!

:music:

dr wu 04-30-2020 02:59 PM

Nice track....you might like this one also...

Foxhound 04-30-2020 08:47 PM

Yes, that's another one of my favourites.

:music:

dr wu 04-30-2020 10:59 PM

Ok..from my favorite ELP album....something exquisite....enjoy.

dwill123 06-09-2020 11:52 AM

Posting a decent interview this YouTube guy had with Derek Shulman (former lead singer) of Gentle Giant about a week ago. Apparently Shulman has not let any grass grow under his feet since the break up. Take a listen.

dwill123 07-17-2020 01:09 PM

If you stayed with the previously posted interview with Derek Shulman (just above). At around 51 minutes he alludes to a sort of new Gentle Giant release coming. The posting here is that release and I must say it is excellent. It consists of various GG band members, sons, daughters and maybe wife. It is the song 'Proclamation' from 'The Power And The Glory'. So if you wanted to get the gist of it you can go to YouTube and check out the original. As I said before I thought they did an excellent job. Enjoy.

Foxhound 12-16-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1290447)
"Always" is a long time. Like I say, I very clearly remember a popular DJ in southwestern Ontario using the term "progressive rock" to refer to the album oriented rock that had developed by 1968-69 before the art rock bands of the 1970's existed.

Here's more evidence that the term "progressive rock" referred more broadly to all album-oriented rock when the term first gained widespread currency in 1968-69:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Album-Oriented Rock (Wikipedia)
By 1970 many of the stations were moving to institute programming rules with a "clock" and system of "rotation". With this shift, stations' formats in the early 1970s were now billed as progressive. DJs still had much input over the music they played, and the selection was deep and eclectic, ranging from folk to hard rock with other styles such as jazz fusion occasionally thrown in.

In October 1971, WPLJ in New York began to shift its free-form progressive rock format into a more tightly formatted hit oriented rock format, similar to what would later become known as album-oriented rock. WPLJ's parent company ABC installed similar formats on all of its FM stations including KLOS in Los Angeles and WRIF in Detroit. In 1973 Lee Abrams, formerly at WRIF, successfully installed a similar format, later known as SuperStars, at WQDR in Raleigh, North Carolina.

In 1972, Ron Jacobs, program director at KGB-FM in San Diego, began using detailed listener research and expanded playlists in shifting the top 40 station towards a progressive rock format. Meanwhile, at competing station KPRI, program director Mike Harrison was similarly applying top 40 concepts to the progressive format which he dubbed "album-oriented rock."

:smile:

dr wu 12-17-2020 01:57 PM

I was around then..started college in 69...no one I knew in college used the term prog rock then ...i don't really recall hearing it until the early to mid 70's.
At any rate the 'radio jocks' played more mainstream things because the stations wanted to make some money from ads. The 'big 6 of prog' ,as mentioned above, were played but none of the lessor known bands. Many radio stations later at night played AOR stuff and dug deeper into tracks on various lp's. Not all of these bands by any means were what was called prog later on.

Foxhound 12-17-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1296709)
I was around then..started college in 69...no one I knew in college used the term prog rock then ...i don't really recall hearing it until the early to mid 70's.

You would not have heard any references to "prog" in 1969. The term "progressive rock" hadn't yet been abbreviated to "prog" nor had the meaning been more narrowly constrained to refer only to bands similar to this "Big 6".

dr wu 12-17-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1296710)
You would not have heard any references to "prog" in 1969. The term "progressive rock" hadn't yet been abbreviated to "prog" nor had the meaning been more narrowly constrained to refer only to bands similar to this "Big 6".

Yes..you are talking to a guy who knows all of this...not trying to be a smart ass but I was in the thick of music then and had friends in bands who were popular at IU and into all kinds of music....'prog' is indeed a shortened version but again no one used the term 'progressive rock' either....there might have been a few 'radio jocks' here and there in bit cities but it was not in wide use in the world of music fans and we were listening to Yes, Crimson, Tull, Floyd, as well as stranger bands etc.

btw..just curious are you as old as me...? You don't have your age listed ;)

Foxhound 12-17-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1296713)
btw..just curious are you as old as me...? You don't have your age listed ;)

I was born in April 1952.

dr wu 12-24-2020 11:40 AM

So then, you are just a youngster... ;)
It's hell to get old......isn't it?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....such as it is.

Foxhound 12-24-2020 04:53 PM

Me I'm not old yet. I'm still full of fire and vinegar.

;)

dr wu 12-25-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1296843)
Me I'm not old yet. I'm still full of fire and vinegar.

;)

That's 'piss and vinegar'....
:lol:

dr wu 01-19-2021 01:36 PM

One of my favorite lesser known prog bands....

dwill123 02-05-2021 07:12 AM

2021 is shaping up to be a good year. We have a new vaccine for the coronavirus. The U.S. has a new President and today (2/5/2021) Transatlantic releases their new album. Keep it up 2021.

dr wu 02-05-2021 11:35 AM

Like Transatlantic....have the first 3 but never got Kaleidoscope but I'll ck out new one .

Foxhound 02-06-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297927)
I do like some 'modern rock' when someone (friends and family) mentions them to me but I don't pay attention to that area. I do keep track of new prog like Porcupine Tree , Opeth, Motorpsycho, Wobbler, etc.

This is the first time I've heard, or at least paused and noticed, the term "new prog". You don't consider the music of any of the following bands to be "new prog" then?

U2
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Foo Fighters
Radiohead
Decemberists
Modest Mouse
Super Furry Animals
Fleet Foxes
Arcade Fire

In truth, I'm not even sure where the dividing line for "old prog" relative to other bands is drawn.

:scratch:

dr wu 02-06-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297938)
This is the first time I've heard, or at least paused and noticed, the term "new prog". You don't consider the music of any of the following bands to be "new prog" then?

U2
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Foo Fighters
Radiohead
Decemberists
Modest Mouse
Super Furry Animals
Fleet Foxes
Arcade Fire

In truth, I'm not even sure where the dividing line for "old prog" relative to other bands is drawn.

:scratch:

Radiohead are considered crossover prog ,The Decemberists are called prog folk, and Super Furry Animals are called prog related.
This is how Prog Rock Archives classifies them for the web site listings. None of the other bands are considered prog rock by most prog fans , prog web sites, and those interested in such things.

This is subjective of course and to me none of those bands are what I consider true progressive rock but many have elements of being more than just traditional rock bands in some of their music...especially Radiohead from above.
The problem is that many bands have a sound that straddles the lines of music styles.
New prog isn't really a category per se...it just refers to modern bands of the last 20 or 25 years that fall into the prog area. There is an actual category called 'Neo-prog' which refers to bands like Mariilion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, Magenta, etc ...it gets...complicated. I find much of the style naming to be arbitrary at times but it is what it is. :ohwell:

Foxhound 02-06-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297940)
Radiohead are considered crossover prog ,The Decemberists are called prog folk, and Super Furry Animals are called prog related. This is how Prog Rock Archives classifies them for the web site listings.

There is an actual category called 'Neo-prog' which refers to bands like Mariilion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, Magenta, etc....

:bonk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wu (Post 1297940)
This is subjective of course.... The problem is that many bands have a sound that straddles the lines of music styles.

it gets...complicated. I find much of the style naming to be arbitrary at times but it is what it is. :ohwell:

Precisely. All this categorization is bewildering. It's all album oriented rock to me, and if it's over twenty years old then it becomes classic rock. Some I like, and some I don't.

:dunno:

dr wu 02-06-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1297943)
:bonk:

Precisely. All this categorization is bewildering. It's all album oriented rock to me, and if it's over twenty years old then it becomes classic rock. Some I like, and some I don't.

Well....the classification is important to many prog rock fans.
There are several threads at Prog Archives that are all about categories and where to place certain bands. Whatever floats your boat. I think a few prog categories are fine when discussing styles and what certain bands sound like because people want to listen and buy certain types of prog withpout having to sift through all the bands...and there are a lot. I get it but to me there are too many categories. It's an impressive web site and even some known prog musicians have come by to chat from time to time. The data base is great if one wants to look up a band.
At any rate it makes for some spirited discussions as you can imagine.

dr wu 02-16-2021 04:13 PM

A popular obscure prog fusion band....my favorite one by them...

Foxhound 02-16-2021 11:49 PM

Hmmmm. It's really jazzy.

dr wu 02-17-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhound (Post 1298342)
Hmmmm. It's really jazzy.

Glad you like it.....or are you confused..? ;)
Many of the fusion bands are considered prog and get dumped into jazz fusion prog.
One of my favorite things by a well known jazz man who recently passed away. RIP Mr Corea.

If you are interested this page at Prog Archives explains jazz-fusion and it's relation to prog rock.
https://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=30

dwill123 02-17-2021 12:11 PM

^^RTF is one of my favorites also. I saw this version of RTF (Corea, Clarke, White & Connors) right after the release of this album. They were at then Trenton State College in NJ (1973). They opened for Electric Light Orchestra. Good show.

dr wu 02-17-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwill123 (Post 1298355)
^^RTF is one of my favorites also. I saw this version of RTF (Corea, Clarke, White & Connors) right after the release of this album. They were at then Trenton State College in NJ (1973). They opened for Electric Light Orchestra. Good show.

Never had a chance to see them though I did see Mahavishnu at their height right after the second lp.
See you around PA. :thumbsup: