Classic Rock Forums

Classic Rock Forums (https://www.crf2.com/forum.php)
-   Music Polls and Tournaments (https://www.crf2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Downloading = stealing? (https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=31610)

flipflop 11-02-2009 12:11 PM

Downloading = stealing?

Again, easy downloading poll - yes or no? :D

flipflop 11-02-2009 12:13 PM

Re: Downloading = stealing?

I voted yes, duh :lol:

NDF 11-02-2009 12:25 PM

It's comparable to recording my favorite program on a VHS tape. I don't think it's comparable to stealing a product out of a store, so no.

Phantastico 11-02-2009 12:30 PM

I'm going to say "no" because there's "legal" downloading and there's "illegal" downloading. And this was not clarified in the poll.

ShuffleItAll 11-02-2009 12:31 PM

As most posters here know, I'm definitely not against filesharing but I voted yes, because the way the laws are now it is classified as stealing. So, yes. I'd still say that technically it's more like industrial espionage but anyways...

I'm totally against the way the riaa and everyone is acting though.

flipflop 11-02-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDF (Post 958102)
It's comparable to recording my favorite program on a VHS tape. I don't think it's comparable to stealing a product out of a store, so no.

It is directly comparable to stealing a product out of a store. The fact that it is online has nothing to do with it - it's not like recording something online or anything. You either have the product or you don't. You've either paid for it or you haven't.

Taping off the tv hardly compares to 1,000s and 1,000s of downloaded - free - digital copies online... noooo sir. Most people are happy to accept free digital copies of album - they can't tell the difference between the copy and the original. Why should they bother buying the album (or the iTunes download or whatever) if they're happy with the clean copy they got for free??

Taping off the tv or the radio - or taping off a vinyl album... everyone could tell it was a copy.

Fairly important distinction. The sheer quantity as well - even the most aggressive tape trader back then would have problems making a 100 copies of any given album - and distributing them too, not least. Fairly important distinction #2...

Quality, availability, convenience... digital downloading is just another beast entirely from taping music or tv 20-30 years ago.

flipflop 11-02-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantastico (Post 958108)
I'm going to say "no" because there's "legal" downloading and there's "illegal" downloading. And this was not clarified in the poll.

So you're trying to get off on a technicality? Pffft, sure you shouldn't have been a lawyer?! ;) :lol:

That 70s Guy 11-02-2009 02:36 PM

I voted no

Phantastico 11-02-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipflop (Post 958177)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantastico (Post 958108)

So you're trying to get off on a technicality? Pffft, sure you shouldn't have been a lawyer?! ;) :lol:

:thumbsup:

I went to law school for six months, but dropped out.

I know you meant "illegal" downloading, but I'm just kidding with you (and might I add, you take it well).
:thumbsup:

We've been down this road before. I have downloaded a few albums from Amazon, and I have downloaded a ton of unreleased, mostly live recordings, from various private sites.

I will also admit that I once tried to download an out-of-print album from Pirate Bay, but then my PC was attacked by malware. So I won't be going there again.

My answer is still "no"...

:beer:

flipflop 11-02-2009 03:13 PM

Well... I voted yes BUT I should've used the third option! :lol:

I do download but I make up lame excuses for why I 'have to' :D I still buy the same amount of albums - my wife can vouch for that :muffin:

BUT it's still stealing. I'd never steal an album out of a record store BUT when it's online I think most of us FEEL that 'it's different'. But it's not. That's all I'm trying to say.

And yeah, I figured you were kidding on the 'illegal' thing... not like we haven't been down this road before :lol:

This discussion should be made into a board game, come to think of it...

the roser 11-02-2009 03:14 PM

If you steal a record from the record store, the record is gone. Nothing is gone if I download a song, therefore, no theft. Not stealing.

hightea 11-02-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the roser (Post 958204)
If you steal a record from the record store, the record is gone. Nothing is gone if I download a song, therefore, no theft. Not stealing.

bingo hence why I put option three. :tongue:

actually I'll go further-I download plenty of singles and whole albums from a new artist from their website. How is this stealing when they offer it. :tongue:

Also download plenty of live show that aren't available to buy.
Also download bonus stuff that comes when you buy an album

flipflop 11-02-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Because it is online 'it isn't really there'...? Are you sure you want to stand by that comment? :lol: :pound: :rofl:

the roser 11-02-2009 03:30 PM

Explain why I'm wrong. Smilies don't scare me.

ShuffleItAll 11-02-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Industrial espionage man!

Beat Less 11-02-2009 04:12 PM

If I download something I like I put it on a must buy list. If the list gats too big I stop D'ling until I buy all the albums I want.Therefore the artists stiil gets my money

Sooo option three

Denim 11-02-2009 04:35 PM

No, in fact it is my way of getting back all the money I spent on the Ticketmaster charges in my lifetime.
(Is that excuse lame enough for you?):lol:

flipflop 11-02-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim (Post 958230)
No, in fact it is my way of getting back all the money I spent on the Ticketmaster charges in my lifetime.
(Is that excuse lame enough for you?):lol:

Plenty lame, thanks :D ;)

roser: :poke: :poke: *yes, you're plen'y scar'd... I can smell it!* :razz: