dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8748
Give Thanks: 316
Re: Top Ten Series: Front Men/Vocalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
I know that Mick Taylor is held in very high regard, but the Stones certainly seemed to be in full decline during the last part of his tenure with the band. I bought Exile on Main Street upon its release and I was glad that it got high praise because I was such a hardcore Stones fan. But I actually just didn't understand why Exile got such high praise in light of their previous recordings and I stil don't. Worse yet, I thought Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'n Roll were another step downward. The Stones were actually re-energized after Ron Wood replaced Mick Taylor.

Well...Exile gets 5 stars from almost every single review by any serious music reviewer...so they must have done something right. But it is also not my favorite one by the Stones. I liked Goats Head and Rock n Roll...after that is where I think the Stones became spotty. There are some decent songs/lps but nothing for me that captured the vibes of the earlier ones.
As far as guitar...Taylor can play circles round Wood and neither btw
had anything to do with the direction of the music nor songwriting in an y significant way...that's all Jagger/Richards though Jones was influential in the old days.
Wood was an old friend from early days with them in England (he was in many bands back then) so he fit in being an ex Faces player.... and Taylor wanted out...so it's not surprising he 'reenergized' the Stones. I saw Wood with the Faces and with the Stones....he never impressed me though I 'm not knocking him either.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote