Thread: I Hate Grunge!
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 07:27 PM   #21
Darth Pazuzu
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $19009
Give Thanks: 3
Re: I Hate Grunge!

I've always loved Soundgarden. They're one of my favorite bands of all time. I also really love Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney and Screaming Trees - their major peers from the Pacific Northwest in the late '80s and early '90s.

Unfortunately, just like every musical style that gets popular, the more stereotypical traits are the ones that get codified. While I've got a soft spot for Stone Temple Pilots, I never ever really got into Bush and Silverchair. And by the time we got to Creed and Nickelback in the late '90s and early 2000's, I started to tune out. But that's really not the fault of those great earlier bands I mentioned previously, whose music I continue to love to this very day!

Frankly, I always thought that "grunge" was a rather lame tag, more of a fashion label than anything else. I mean, if Soundgarden and Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains and Mudhoney and Screaming Trees can all be defined as "grunge," then... What does that make Ozzy-era Black Sabbath? Or Neil Young with Crazy Horse? Or The Sonics? Or Blue Cheer? Or Iggy Pop and The Stooges?
Darth Pazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote