Old 03-31-2020, 10:25 PM   #33
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $28042
Give Thanks: 264
Exclamation Re: Progressive Rock...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
And my friend Bill,,,who is a huge blues rock fan especially the early Brits, just laughed when I told him a guy on a forum said it was prog.
I never said they were "prog" though. I said they were a progressive rock band.

Quote:
btw...'prog' is just a shortened version of the term 'progressive rock'...always has been and never meant anything else...at least I have never seen it used in the way you are saying.
That though is precisely the problem for me and the point on which we disagree. I don't believe the two terms should be used as synonyms. The people inclined to use the terms as synonyms are thereby co-opting the term "progressive rock" to refer merely to the narrow subset of those art rock bands like the six on your list. The original meaning of progressive rock was much broader. I had never heard the term "prog" until I joined the predecessor of this board in 2003 or so.

Quote:
If you are looking for a 'proggy' TYA lp you are looking for Cricklewood Green which imho is the proggiest thing they ever did though there are some similar ideas on Space In Time and Watt.
My favourite Ten Years After LP is either Ssssh or Cricklewood Green. It's a tough call for me.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote