Old 04-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #35
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $28042
Give Thanks: 264
Exclamation Re: Progressive Rock...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
Well..imho you are co-opting the term to use it the way you want to...prog was always merely a shortened usage for prog rock....
"Always" is a long time. Like I say, I very clearly remember a popular DJ in southwestern Ontario using the term "progressive rock" to refer to the album oriented rock that had developed by 1968-69 before the art rock bands of the 1970's existed.

If however you insist on giving me credit (which I don't think I deserve) for coining the term "progressive rock", you must therefore logically accept my broadly encompassing meaning for the term as well.

Quote:
...again I have never read anything different by any music expert or reviewer. Please correct me and find such an article from back in the day and I'll be glad to concede to that point.
Well then read this post from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rock View Post
In the early 1970s here in Tennessee, the term "progressive rock" was used exactly as Hepcat described it. It was any music or artist in the broader parameters of the pop or rock genres who aimed beyond the limited parameters of "hit radio" formats towards something more artistic. This could even include a group like The Monkees when they released something like "Porpoise Song".

Progressive rock was, in the early stages of the term's usage, more about the kind of music than the artist who presented it. Neil Diamond and Carole King, for instance, were played on "progressive rock" stations in the early 70s because their music was perceived as pursuing artistic goals more than commercial success.

Even John Denver sometimes got airplay on such stations, depending on the the perceived "progressiveness" of the song or album. Around the time of the Rocky Mountain High and Farewell Andromeda albums, he actually got a fair amount of "FM rock" airplay. I know. I was there, I was listening.

I understand why the term has become more strictly defined over the past 30 years. But to me that's part of the "straitjacket" that we've gotten into musically, and it's not a healthy mindset for the progress of musical creativity in general.
See?! Other posters remember the same.

Quote:
If we use the term as loosely as you would like then almost any band can be called progressive rock based on a personal opinion because they did one or two longer songs or used an unusual instrument once or twice....
That is of course why the term "progressive rock" morphed into "prog" with a much more limited meaning. With the continued explosion of album-oriented rock in the early 1970's, the term "progressive rock" became too all encompassing.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote