Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #19
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $7863
Give Thanks: 244
Re: Top Ten Series: Front Men/Vocalists

I 've always been interested in the music and musicians more than the 'stage show'...I was fortunate to see some big acts while in college at IU Bloomington in the 70's.
Saw Chicago(CTA), James Gang(Joe Walsh), Elton John, Bob Dylan with The Band, Jethro Tull, The Stones, The Who(with Moon), BB King, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane...from 69-75 at IU...saw others before and after in Chicago area.
Saw the Stones on July 26 1975 on Jagger's 32nd birthday,, they were the only ones who had a 'stage show' of the acts I saw back then. They had this big silk balloon phallus that shot out confetti that Jagger would point at the audience. Sadly Mick Taylor had quit a short while before so Wood was on guitar...and he's no Taylor. Jagger danced around but they were sloppy players and sounded worse than all the other bands I mentioned above (Wyman and Watts were good but Keith and Ron sounded like they were playing with their thumbs) (Jefferson Airplane and The Byrds sounded rough also but that was outside ..not an indoor gig.)
Not knocking the Stones per se but out of all the acts I have seen over the years they were one of the worst at reproducing their songs. But heh....what an awesome 'stage show'....
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to dr wu:
Old 08-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #20
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $11427
Give Thanks: 1,081

I saw the Stones in '75 and they were pretty together.. but less than a year later- they were cat!
The sound was shit and Jagger apologised. Save for the wingmen... I would have retired to the bar. Whether it's error on my behalf (not sure?) but I'm a bugger for album representation... Jethro Tull did it in spades. The Who I saw at the famous Charlton Athletic gig and Roger delivered 100%, as did the rest. In fact everytime I've copped them live they've always bin' on song. In '77 I went to see Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers and that was' stand out '... Jerry Nolan was just incredible. Mahogany Rush were just perfect... but with Frank at the front I'd expect no less. In terms of holding the room, being personal with the audience and totally giving... It has to be Chuck Berry... by a country mile.
Second, The Stones in a club venue.. I've seen them twice at close quarters on beer crate stages... and they really lit up.
Worst gig was Bowie on the Glass Spider Tour.. wouldn't have given him houseroom!
Marshall Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #21
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $43460
Give Thanks: 675
Exclamation Re: Top Ten Series: Front Men/Vocalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
Sadly Mick Taylor had quit a short while before so Wood was on guitar...and he's no Taylor.
I know that Mick Taylor is held in very high regard, but the Stones certainly seemed to be in full decline during the last part of his tenure with the band. I bought Exile on Main Street upon its release and I was glad that it got high praise because I was such a hardcore Stones fan. But I actually just didn't understand why Exile got such high praise in light of their previous recordings and I stil don't. Worse yet, I thought Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'n Roll were another step downward. The Stones were actually re-energized after Ron Wood replaced Mick Taylor.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #22
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
I know that Mick Taylor is held in very high regard, but the Stones certainly seemed to be in full decline during the last part of his tenure with the band. I bought Exile on Main Street upon its release and I was glad that it got high praise because I was such a hardcore Stones fan. But I actually just didn't understand why Exile got such high praise in light of their previous recordings and I stil don't. Worse yet, I thought Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'n Roll were another step downward. The Stones were actually re-energized after Ron Wood replaced Mick Taylor.

Well...Exile gets 5 stars from almost every single review by any serious music reviewer...so they must have done something right. But it is also not my favorite one by the Stones. I liked Goats Head and Rock n Roll...after that is where I think the Stones became spotty. There are some decent songs/lps but nothing for me that captured the vibes of the earlier ones.
As far as guitar...Taylor can play circles round Wood and neither btw
had anything to do with the direction of the music nor songwriting in an y significant way...that's all Jagger/Richards though Jones was influential in the old days.
Wood was an old friend from early days with them in England (he was in many bands back then) so he fit in being an ex Faces player.... and Taylor wanted out...so it's not surprising he 'reenergized' the Stones. I saw Wood with the Faces and with the Stones....he never impressed me though I 'm not knocking him either.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #23
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

For Stones fans...on Epix tv...
https://www.tvinsider.com/show/my-li...cefad-14620971