Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: No Downloading = Record Company Success?
Yes 10 32.26%
No 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Give Thanks: 0
No Downloading = Record Company Success?

There's been quite a bit of talk about illegal downloading, and a lot of people seem to think that it is killing the music business, especially major record companies.

Do you believe that? Do you think that if illegal downaloding was stopped and contained tomorrow, that the record companies would seem substantially see more profits?

This is very simple "yes" or "no" poll.

If you believe that downloading is a major reason record companies are losing money, then vote "yes"

If you believe there are other contributing factors besides (or instead) downloading that are losing money for record companies, then vote "no"

This is not intended to become an argument about the ethics of downloading. If you want to call downloaders "thieves" or other names, save your comments for another thread.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1384
Give Thanks: 6
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

nope the record companies still think the music business is all about a mega hit. The music business has changed too many genres and tastes. If they can't learn how to make money with smaller bands then they will continue to fail-downloads or no downloads.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
tacobender44
Lost

i agree, music today is more driven on the hit single and if downloading is contained then people will just try and record the song off the radio or have their friend burn them a copy of a few hit mega singles or find alternative ways to obtain that hit single and only that single
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
dangerbird
dancepack

i agree with Hightea and Taco...record companies are taking the wrong approach...theyre not trying to promote the new creative bands...they are pushing the hit single or promoting copycat or manufactured bands...if they thought about patiently supporting a lot of the great new bands out there, they would reap strong long term profits
dangerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
white_lancer
Occasional Iconoclast

I voted 'Yes' because I think it's certainly a contributing factor, but I realize I probably should have voted 'No' based on the criteria you set because I do believe there are other major contributing factors like the one Hightea pointed out.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
elias75
Classic Rocker

illegal downloading means less sales = less label income = less artist income.... However, the record industry is changing and transforming into a kind of 'advertising agency' that is generating income through other streams of revenue (endorsements, talent shows, royalties etc)

Record companies do invest in new artists (maybe not as much as they could and not as much as in the past) but they do release new stuff... of course this stuff is not what we here in the CRF would appreciate but more into the mainstream side of things....
elias75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
BlueMeanie

I don't believe it's killing the music business. I just don't care about downloading music at all. It doesn't interest me. I do not own an iPod, I will never own an iPod. I'm old fashioned and plan to stay that way. I prefer owning the actual album. Most of the iPod generation care not about liner notes, pictures, etc included in CDs, to me that's one of the benefits. They don't know what they're missing.

Do I consider/label these people thieves? Absolutely not.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

The answer is yes and its not a question of opinion. Its been a proven fact that DLing has seriously cut into major labels profits. Since the shift to digital has begun they have recorded smaller profit lines every quarter.

I wont go so far as to say its "killing them" but its forcing a large scale shift in their business model. ANd like Elias pointed out, it is making them work the 360 deals even harder and they are putting much more weight into talent with strong sponsor potential.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
The answer is yes and its not a question of opinion. Its been a proven fact that DLing has seriously cut into major labels profits. Since the shift to digital has begun they have recorded smaller profit lines every quarter.
I'd be interested to see what facts you've turned up. Can you point me to any legitimate links or resources you've researched that will verify this?

The only hard numbers I've seen (from the RIAA, no less) is that downloading has taken about a 20% bite out of the record company's profits. Yeah, that's serious. But that's only if you want to assume that everyone who downloaded a CD would have bought it.

And that's the problem I have with the record companies. They are assuming people would have bought the music if they couldn't have downloaded it. That's a very dangerous assumption, IMHO.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantastico View Post

The only hard numbers I've seen (from the RIAA, no less) is that downloading has taken about a 20% bite out of the record company's profits. Yeah, that's serious. But that's only if you want to assume that everyone who downloaded a CD would have bought it.

And that's the problem I have with the record companies. They are assuming people would have bought the music if they couldn't have downloaded it. That's a very dangerous assumption, IMHO.
Sure its just a % of that number but also you need to take into account people who download music to discover a band and because of downloads end up buying their music(including several future albums) and seeing them in concerts. Without downloading I'm sure I would listen to several less bands and support several less bands live.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantastico View Post

Sure its just a % of that number but also you need to take into account people who download music to discover a band and because of downloads end up buying their music(including several future albums) and seeing them in concerts. Without downloading I'm sure I would listen to several less bands and support several less bands live.
I agree. Unfortunately, some people (mostly the uncreative bean counters that run the record industry) fail to see the complete picture like you.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias75 View Post
Record companies do invest in new artists (maybe not as much as they could and not as much as in the past) but they do release new stuff... of course this stuff is not what we here in the CRF would appreciate but more into the mainstream side of things....
Sure, they are still releasing new albums by new artists, but if said artist doesn't take off immediately and move tons of albums or digital singles, they get dropped with no thought of a 2nd chance. I guess that's what you were hinting at in saying "maybe not as much....." but, I don't consider that investing in new artists at all. There is no longer development in major label acts.

Can you imagine someone like Springsteen trying to start a career now? His first 2 records didn't sell well enough to garner bigtime billboard chart positions and it's a well known fact that Columbia Records would have dropped him had "Born to Run" not become such a huge album. He is one of many similar stories and to think that we would have been robbed of their careers full of great music makes me sick. It makes me sick that it happens today!! Even worse, most major labels aren't even entertaining the thought of giving something halfway creative a shot if the artists doesn't already have a proven record. So really, they will only invest in new "talent" if it is within their proven success formula of teeny bopper pop or shitty rock bands like Nickelback. Don't even bother applying if your sound doesn't fit in there.

As for the question at hand in this poll, No, I don't think that outlawing downloading will equal the succesful return of the record industry. The problem runs way deeper than that. Greedy label heads and execs killed the industry a long time ago with their exorbitant pricing of product that to this day still hasn't really been fixed and other factors. Sure, downloading does cut into their profit but I don't think it does so as much as they'd lead you to believe. Also, I do believe that the people who are REALLY into music and really consider albums/songs to be a valid part of their life will buy the albums even if they did get a free preview beforehand. Does that mean I am in support of illegal downloading? Nope, but to say it has singlehandedly killed the record business is just plain wrong.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
jimmy
Classic Rocker

No. Here's an interesting article I think people should read.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-1812776.html
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post

I referenced this article in another thread. Very interesting, huh?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #15
TrekkiELO
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1103
Give Thanks: 93

No
TrekkiELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #16
annie
Classic Rocker

Quote:

This is exactly what I have been saying in all my posts on this topic. I have purchased dozens of CDs after hearing the downloaded shared files. I would not have bought even one without hearing them first. Those 30 second clips just don't do it because the best is usually smack in the middle.

Still crazy after all these years...

annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #17
zeppboy
The Hammer of the Gods

Gameroom cash: $2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
nope the record companies still think the music business is all about a mega hit. The music business has changed too many genres and tastes. If they can't learn how to make money with smaller bands then they will continue to fail-downloads or no downloads.
I agree. They would still have major problems even if all downloading suddenly stopped.
zeppboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
hightea
Administrator

Quote:

yeap not surprised by this stat. The average small time music listener is not going to bother to download music because they barely listen to music its not worth their time. The person who loves music is going to get music everyway they can, sometimes download for free but in the end if they are a music junkie they are going to be buying it, see the bands live and heck maybe even purchasing merch. So if you lose a little with illegal downloads in the end you may make it up elsewhere.