Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

View Poll Results: Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour?
I was an avid Stones fan prior to 1980 and I want them to keep touring. 15 36.59%
I was an avid Stones fan prior to 1980 but it's ridiculous for them to continue touring. 8 19.51%
I've never been much of a Stones fan but I'm happy with them continuing to tour. 3 7.32%
I've never been much of a Stones fan and it's ridiculous for them to continue to tour. 2 4.88%
I'm too young to have been a fan prior to 1980 but I'm happy with them continuing to tour. 13 31.71%
I'm too young to have been a fan prior to 1980. It's ridiculous for them to continue to tour. 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $26432
Give Thanks: 257
Question Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour? Is it a generation dependent question?

The Rolling Stones take a lot of flack from certain quarters for continuing to tour. There are those who argue that they're "destroying their legacy" by continuing to give concerts when they're well into into their sixties - and perhaps eventually beyond.

Still though their tours continue to set new box office records. Clearly there are enough fans out there willing to pay the freight.

Methinks therefore that most of the criticism is not coming from longtime Stones fans, who seem quite happy to see the Stones continue to tour.

What do you say?

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Zombeels
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $3788
Give Thanks: 1
Re: Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour? Is it a generation dependent question?

When I saw the Stones in 81 they were considered a "dinosaur" band then. They are nothing but a novelty act now. Went with second option.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
infidel
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour? Is it a generation dependent question?

I think it's silly and picked the second option, but hey, if people keep paying to see them who am I to say they should stop?
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

They should keep touring, they should just lower their ticket prices.

To be entirely honest, I kind of resent the fact that The Stones get billed as the greatest band of all-time by having the highest ticket prices. I mean, don't you think a new Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd tour would be bigger?

Obviously I'm just bitter, but my heart is in the right place. See, I don't think it's fitting for The Stones to be built up so much. I think people would be much kinder to The Stones of today if it was just about "the music", just The Stones, same old rock band that's been kicking ass for decades, just coming out and doing their stuff. I think the spectacle is what sets people off about it, honestly. There are literally countless famous acts out there (old and new) who sound as ragged as The Stones do live.

If they want to keep touring, then obviously they should. I personally would enjoy it more if it was low-key and if it was full of deep cuts and their newer material. But that's just me. For me, I actually love all this old acts still playing when they're 60. I think it sounds GOOD. I like the rough edges and the wear & tear, it makes it sound very legit. And while we're on the topic, I don't have the slightest clue why people thought The Stones sucked so much at The Super Bowl. Sounds like the same old Stones to me.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Flower

Thumbs up Re: Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour? Is it a generation dependent question?

Yes! The Rolling Stones should continue to tour as long as they enjoy touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound
Still though their tours continue to set new box office records. Clearly there are enough fans out there willing to pay the freight.

Precisely!

I went to my first Rolling Stones concert in 2005 and I'm so glad to have that experience, which I wouldn't have had if they had stopped touring.

The ticket prices might be high but you do get value for your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound
Is it a generation dependent question?

I don't know but it does give other generations (other than Baby Boomers at least) a chance to experience the Rolling Stones. I've been to concerts where I've seen parents introducing their adult children to their favorite bands.

Also the movie Shine A Light is a must see for Stones fans.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

They can continue to tour for all I care.If somebody doesn't want to see them ,then don't go see them-it doesn't impact them at all.

I have never understood why somebody would care if a band continues to tour.It's their band-they are free to do what they want.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
discoverjourney
Classic Rocker

I picked the third one. never been a really big Stones fan, but I know they have a lot of fans that will continue to pay to see them. So let them tour. More power to 'em.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Mr Moby
There's a Red House Over Yonder

Tour for as long as they want. From everything I have heard, they still put on a good show. They perform coherently, and don't require the use of Depends.

I am a huge Stones fan, but that being said, I have no interest in seeing them perform. To me, they are a bloated roadshow with to many props and gimmicks, and add on musicians, performing in places that are not made for music. That is not the kind of show I like to see.

If they were to perform in a small theater, as just the core group, then I would be interested.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $26432
Give Thanks: 257
Exclamation Re: Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour? Is it a generation dependent question?

Quote:
To me, they are a bloated roadshow with to many props and gimmicks, and add on musicians, performing in places that are not made for music. That is not the kind of show I like to see.

If they were to perform in a small theater, as just the core group, then I would be interested.
I'm with you. I think the spectacle aspect of the Stones' (in fact that of many bands') concerts is way overdone and I hate this practice of playing in hockey arenas and baseball stadiums. I would be willing to pay very big money indeed to see the core group - Mick, Keith, Ron, Charlie, a bass player and a keyboards player - in a proper concert hall like Massey Hall or Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
flipflop
Prisoner of rock'n'roll

As long as they want to tour I think they're entitled to make that call themselves.

And I fail to see how putting on consistently good shows could hurt their legacy. That's st00pid talk

I'm a big rock star / My sales have tanked / But I still got you / Thanks / Download this / Sounds like shit

flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
As long as they want to tour I think they're entitled to make that call themselves.

And I fail to see how putting on consistently good shows could hurt their legacy. That's st00pid talk

Plus it's their legacy.Not anyone else's
Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Rotherhamkid
Classic Rocker

Re: Should the Rolling Stones continue to tour? Is it a generation dependent question

Who cares about age?

As long as they want to do it, and people want to see it its up to them and Jagger can out perform many good singers half his age IMO, so why should age stop him?
Rotherhamkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
dwill123
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $4339

If the Beatles were still (alive) and together would anybody suggest that they stop touring? The Stones are living rock icons and should continue to tour as long as they want and are physically able. Maybe they should only perform in smaller more intimate venues and leave the mega-stadium shows alone. But again that's their call, they've earned it.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
HotRockinJohnny

I say let the old fuddy-duddy Stones fans who think they should stop touring stay home...because that's where they belong...knitting sweaters or somethin' old farts do...

Last time I saw the The Rolling Stones in 2006 (floor seats, MSG) they sounded better than any of the other times I've seen them...

I say Keep On Rockin'....and oh yeah, lower the ticket prices too!

* This post is directed at anyone, it's the way I feel *
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

I wouldn't go see them now, or more precisely, I wouldn't pay to see them now (but if some bodies got a spare ticket, feel free to give me a call ) but if they're still having fun and making money, who am I to tell them to stop? Keith always said that when he dies he wants somebody to have to cancel shows.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #16
MagicRat
Hidin' on the Backstreets

As long as they stillwant to play and people still want to see them why in the world should they stop?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #17
HotRockinJohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
As long as they stillwant to play and people still want to see them why in the world should they stop?
Exactly, and people are still willin' to pay big bucks...

so, obviously FANS think they're still worth it!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7

By all means the Stones, or any band for that matter, should be able to tour as long as they please. I have never seen the Stones live, but every concert video I've seen has been great and most all reviews of their shows are still glowing. They can do whatever the hell they want and I'm sure they will no matter what public opinion is.

I also agree with everyone else in that the ticket prices need to come down. I refuse to pay $100+ for good seats to see ANYONE, even if they are one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time. Make the event affordable for your real, hard core, fans and don't make it an event for yuppies with big money who are just there to be seen at the big event.