Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 70's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

70's Discuss all your favorite classic rock & pop from the 70's.

View Poll Results: Was Jim Morrison burned out after "L.A. Woman"?
Yes. 18 36.73%
No. He and the rest of the Doors could have continued to record excellent albums. 31 63.27%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #37
Moera Ermise

Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

I understand. But it's an answer. If Morrison wasn't such a washed-up man, he didn't burn out at the time of his death. The Doors may be exist until now and admire us by new great albums. He died incidently.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #38
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Give Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moera Ermise View Post
The Doors may be exist until now and admire us by new great albums.
I'd be willing to bet against that one.
troggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #39
Moera Ermise

I mean - Doors with Morrison.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #40
Moera Ermise

Now The Doors are not so famous. In fact, this group isn't famous at all.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #41
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Quote:
I mean - Doors with Morrison.
That's what I meant too.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #42
Hepcat

CD - DVD Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Quote:
Now The Doors are not so famous. In fact, this group isn't famous at all.
Sad but true. Despite their talent as instrumentalists, without Jim Morrison the Doors just couldn't carve out a market niche.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #43
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
You are joking. Music is chalk full of addicts who continued to perform, remember melody and lyrics. Jimmy Page and Kurt Cobain are two that spring to mind who were addicted to heroin, which is considered one of the harshest drugs.
I'm sure you're correct but Cobain might not be the best example to make your case.
Why not? Just because he killed himself? That's a moot point -- Kurt Cobain was still productive and active in recording music, writing music, and performing concerts while being a heroin addict. That 'tis the type of example we are looking for here.

Anyway, Moera, I agree that Jim could have done many many great things after his accidental death. But I do think he could have been an addict, most people claim he was drunk constantly. I don't think Zeppelin's breaks were all that much longer than The Doors', but Jimmy did put less input into it as the days went along. I think there definetly are hard-working addicts, though. I was reading a while back about a book or movie which featured a straight-A student who was addicted to drugs, and when people critiqued the believability of that, the author explained how he himself had been a high-grade-acheiving addict in school.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are joking. Music is chalk full of addicts who continued to perform, remember melody and lyrics. Jimmy Page and Kurt Cobain are two that spring to mind who were addicted to heroin, which is considered one of the harshest drugs.
I'm sure you're correct but Cobain might not be the best example to make your case.
Why not? Just because he killed himself? That's a moot point -- Kurt Cobain was still productive and active in recording music, writing music, and performing concerts while being a heroin addict. That 'tis the type of example we are looking for here.
I don't see Cobain killing himself as a moot point. He may have been able to remain productive in the short-term but he certainly didn't over the long haul. I'd say that taking your own life calls into question your ability to cope with heavy drug use.

Who really knows what part drugs played in his suicide? Even if they played no role at all, there's no way of knowing how long he could have remained productive with his dependency.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #45
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

It's still a moot point. How long was Jim an addict before he died? We're not really arguing the long haul here, only discussing if Jim could have been an addict and accomplished what he did in the couple of years before his death. Kurt's example implies that he probably could have. Kurt was recording songs even a couple days before his death, so he had some solid time being productive regardless of his eventual end.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #46
Bowie
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't see Cobain killing himself as a moot point. He may have been able to remain productive in the short-term but he certainly didn't over the long haul. I'd say that taking your own life calls into question your ability to cope with heavy drug use.

Who really knows what part drugs played in his suicide? Even if they played no role at all, there's no way of knowing how long he could have remained productive with his dependency.
Honestly i'm not 100% he did commit suicide. I read somewhere he had 3x the lethal dose of heroin in his system. If you're that drugged up could you even hold something as heavy as a shotgun? Just seems unlikely to me.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #47
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Honestly i'm not 100% he did commit suicide. I read somewhere he had 3x the lethal dose of heroin in his system. If you're that drugged up could you even hold something as heavy as a shotgun? Just seems unlikely to me.
Yeah, I know there's been lots of speculation that it wasn't a suicide. To tell you the truth, I never followed it closely enough to know any of the details.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #48
Bowie
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I know there's been lots of speculation that it wasn't a suicide. To tell you the truth, I never followed it closely enough to know any of the details.
There's some really good site called cobaincase.org I think and it tells alot as a small article. But who knows, it was also saying stuff like the shotgun he used to shoot himself was purchased while he was at some event, and him and Love were having problems around that time and who knows she does seem a little looney to me.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #49
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Quote:
and him and Love were having problems around that time and who knows she does seem a little looney to me.
Only a little?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #50
Bowie
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Quote:
and him and Love were having problems around that time and who knows she does seem a little looney to me.
Only a little?
Okay you win alot
Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #51
HockeyBeatle
Wild Eyed Southern OC Boy

Some quick thoughts-

The Doors still could have made some great albums...listen to the post morrison stuff and imagine Jim singing. They still would have been great. On a side note-do a google search for the post morrison Doors song called "Im horny, Im stoned."

As for Cobain-I have no doubt he was murdered by Courtney Love. I live in Southern California and know a lot of people involved in the industry. None have anything nice to say about Love and all say they wouldnt put anything past her and no amount of evil deed would surprise them. And then talking to people who arent even Nirvana fans or what not have similar stories. In Summary-in the LA area you know and run into a lot of people and there aren't any Ive ever met that think he killed himself. Do a google search on Il Duce, a punk rock musician of the worst trash variety who claimed that Love hired him to kill Cobain. Shortly after the interview he himself died in a mysterious accident. Not hijacking the thread but-I think the Cobain Death will be the JFK assassination of the music world.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #52
Hepcat

Music Note Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Quote:
The Doors still could have made some great albums...listen to the post morrison stuff and imagine Jim singing. They still would have been great.
I agree. They would have been great with Jim's vocals. I bought the first two Doors albums after Jim's death and I really liked them.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #53
MrEd48
Talking/Typing Equine

Just my 2 cents regarding the topic's question, "Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?" - no, I don't believe Morrison was burned out musically or creatively, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was nearing complete burn out concerning the whole 'rock star/celebrity/demigogue' status thing that had been surrounding him for the previous 3 & 1/2 to 4 years ...many were the times during the 2 years (or so) prior to his demise that Morrison had announced his intention to quit the group & the music business and disappear into Africa to 'drink & write poetry'...
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #54
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Quote:
It's still a moot point. How long was Jim an addict before he died?
I'm not really arguing over what Morrison may have been able to do, had he lived. In fact, I said that you were right about some people being able to funcrion on a daily basis with a drug addicrion.

Quote:
We're not really arguing the long haul here, only discussing if Jim could have been an addict and accomplished what he did in the couple of years before his death.
Actually, the initial question asked if the Doors could have recorded several more excellent albums had he lived. That sounds like the long haul to me.

Quote:
Kurt's example implies that he probably could have. Kurt was recording songs even a couple days before his death, so he had some solid time being productive regardless of his eventual end.
I don't know, was Kurt an addict longer than Morrison was? I really have no idea. Anyway, I maintain that we're talking the long haul here. There was no long haul for Cobain.