Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 70's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

70's Discuss all your favorite classic rock & pop from the 70's.

View Poll Results: Was Jim Morrison burned out after "L.A. Woman"?
Yes. 19 38.00%
No. He and the rest of the Doors could have continued to record excellent albums. 31 62.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #55
Flower

Exclamation Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troggy
I'd say that taking your own life calls into question your ability to cope with heavy drug use.
I agree ....
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #56
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $26675
Give Thanks: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie
... and him and Love were having problems around that time and who knows she does seem a little looney to me.
Another explanation then is that Kurt killed himself to escape his wife Courtney.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #57
Moera Ermise

Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Many men dream to escape from their wives. And some women dream to escape from their husbands too. But not so many people decided to commit suicide. McCartney didn't do so.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #58
Flower

Silly Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moera Ermise View Post
Many men dream to escape from their wives. And some women dream to escape from their husbands too. But not so many people decided to commit suicide. McCartney didn't do so.
No ... McCartney's wives seem to escape from him ....

Moera I was kidding ... as I believe Foxhound was too ...

I agree that it is difficult to function (no matter whom you might be) if you are drinking or taking drugs. At some point in time, you will pay the toll.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #59
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Quote:
I'd say that taking your own life calls into question your ability to cope with heavy drug use.
I agree ....
I'd say that it comes out as an advantage, but that's just me...
Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #60
Hepcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I agree ....
But you lose the longevity argument that way....

Old 08-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #61
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree ....
But you lose the longevity argument that way....

Let me reiterate that there never was a longevity argument in the first place, because Jim Morrison died young too. The same age, to be exact.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #62
Moera Ermise

I know some musicians. They are not too famous, and they haven't too many concerts - as really great people. The musicians I know play or sing in a public twice a week or even more rarely. All are they have a lot of time to use drugs or drink. But they lead a usual life - as a people of other professions. Why should I think it was Morrison who deserve to be describe in Lancet as a case that lead to real breakthrouth in medicine. I suppose doctors or scientists would shocked by Morrison's extraordinary abilities to use heavy drugs and fatal doses of alcohol and make a succes in his work. Nobody would believe it without convincing proof.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #63
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Meh, no offense but it doesn't seem hard to believe to me. The human is an incredible animal and life is more versatile than people tend to give it credit for; I'm sure countless things every day happen which aren't "supposed" to be able to happen. All different lifestyles have both succeeded and failed. And, I mean, it doesn't have to be a big breakthrough from Jim. I'm pretty sure plenty of people did it before he ever did.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #64
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu
Suicide is NOT an option.

Then again, suicide is against the law in most states ...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #65
Hepcat

Deja Vu:

Quote:
Let me reiterate that there never was a longevity argument in the first place, because Jim Morrison died young too.
Troggy is correct though. My use of the terms "several more" in the poll question implies longevity.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #66
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Give Thanks: 0

Quote:
Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death? Or could he and the other Doors have recorded several more excellent albums after "L.A. Woman"?
C'mon! Everyone knows Morrison was a "suicidal dirtbag..."
Phantastico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #67
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
Deja Vu:

Quote:
Let me reiterate that there never was a longevity argument in the first place, because Jim Morrison died young too.
Troggy is correct though. My use of the terms "several more" in the poll question implies longevity.

I dunno what you guys are talking about, but what I was talking about was Kurt Cobain as an example of a junkie. The question was whether or not Jim Morrison could have been addicted to drugs while still accomplishing the things he did prior to his death. My assertion is that he could have, since Kurt Cobain seems to have done pretty much the same thing. Jim died at the same age as Kurt, so Kurt's death doesn't effect his use as a prime example in the issue me and Moera were tackling. We had already ventured far off from the initial poll topic.

Troggy - with all due respect, you misunderstood me. What I was discussing was whether or not Jim Morrison was addicted to drugs.

Quote:
Quote:

It's an option for me. Let them take my corpse to jail for it, I think they'll find their efforts quite wasted.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #68
infidel
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moera Ermise View Post
It's very difficult to be a drunkard and an addict, when you have to sing in public every day. We have never seen an office worker or, for instance, driver, who use cocain and drink a bottle of whiskey every day and make a career.
uh, sure they do. lots of the greatest jazz musicians for example (coltrane, parker, holiday). jimmy page circa 1977 (and he was on smack!). sure he had some bad shows during that time but few who don't collect bootlegs are aware of that. this happens all the time. ever heard of a 'functioning alcoholic'? going out on a stage and singing songs you know by heart isn't all *that* hard. can't compare it to someone who drives for a living, for example.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #69
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Quote:
Deja Vu:

Quote:

I dunno what you guys are talking about, but what I was talking about was Kurt Cobain as an example of a junkie. The question was whether or not Jim Morrison could have been addicted to drugs while still accomplishing the things he did prior to his death. My assertion is that he could have, since Kurt Cobain seems to have done pretty much the same thing. Jim died at the same age as Kurt, so Kurt's death doesn't effect his use as a prime example in the issue me and Moera were tackling. We had already ventured far off from the initial poll topic.

Troggy - with all due respect, you misunderstood me. What I was discussing was whether or not Jim Morrison was addicted to drugs.

Quote:
Quote:

It's an option for me. Let them take my corpse to jail for it, I think they'll find their efforts quite wasted.
You rock DV! You're like the ultimate tortured artist. Although I don't always agree with your take on life. I sincerely dig your candor. Please make sure I get an invite to your funeral...

Cobain and Morrison were both head trips, which is what made them who they are. There are a lot more head trips we don't get to hear about. There's a good reason for that, I imagine. Nevertheless, once in a blue moon, certain people with distorted, non-comformist attitudes gain recognition for their artistic endeavors. Morrison and Cobian are not exclusive members of the club. How about these danglers on the edge:

Sigmund Freud
Anne Sexton
Hunter Thompson
Chet Baker
Brad Delp
Terry Kath
Tom Evan
Pete Ham

I wouldn’t call them “suicidal dirtbags” like some -- just estranged individuals who wanted off the planet.
Phantastico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #70
troggy
spinning at 45 rpm

Quote:

Fair enough, I don't even know the answer to that question.
troggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #71
Flower

Crazy Re: Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Deja Vu:

Suicide is illogical ...

Most people who talk suicide never do it .. they only want attention or to embrace their pain and in fact, turn others off rather than receive the attention and/or sympathy that they are seeking from others.

I'll take a pass on your funeral ...
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #72
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Quote:
Deja Vu:

Suicide is illogical ...

Most people who talk suicide never do it .. they only want attention or to embrace their pain and in fact, turn others off rather than receive the attention and/or sympathy that they are seeking from others.

I'll take a pass on your funeral ...
Yes, I devote much of my time "turning people off." I find that they save more energy that way, and with the times the way they are.... it can be important to save energy.

I ain't got no significant pain in my life. Ain't lookin' for suicide to save me from anything or to win attention. I just think it's the most logical choice. If other people want to roll the dice and try to stretch their resources indefinitely, I've got nothing against that. But, me? I'm gonna do the sensible thing and only live for 30some years. That way my body, mind, and money only have to last that long, and I can be certain to have lived a full life with very little pain in it. That's called choosing quality over quantity.

And like Phil Anselmo for Dimebag, you're not invited to my funeral. It's gonna be an LSD-fueled orgy, so you're going to be missing out on quite a lot of fun. Too bad Dimebag's wasn't like that, but Phil should have been allowed to go anyway.