Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

View Poll Results: Why have the Rolling Stones not released any big hit singles for years?
Option A 6 19.35%
Option B 9 29.03%
Option C 2 6.45%
Option D 8 25.81%
Other. Explain. 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $26422
Give Thanks: 256
Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

I've long wondered whether the big hit singles of the sixties would still be big hit singles today. I have to default back to the Rolling Stones to discuss this issue because they're the only still active band that in the 1964-71 period had mega top-ten-for-the-year hits, e.g. "Satisfaction", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women", "Brown Sugar".

A. The Rolling Stones are no longer capable of releasing mega hits because the well of creativity goes dry as the years progress. As a result hit singles are generally recorded by younger musicians.

B. The Rolling Stones are no longer capable of releasing mega hits because it's the teenage demographic that makes a hit single and teenagers are just not going to embrace a single by a dinosaur rock band from decades before they were born. 'Nuff said.

C. The Rolling Stones can and do on occasion still record tracks that would have become mega hits in the sixties e.g. "Mixed Emotions", "Love Is Strong". But times have changed and what would have been a big hit forty years ago doesn't make much of a splash today. The Stones must adapt to 21st century tastes if they want to release any more hit singles and they've not shown any evidence of being either willing or capable of adapting accordingly.

D. The Stones don't need to continue releasing hit singles conforming to modern tastes so they don't even bother to try. They much prefer to record music that fulfills their own artistic sensibilities. Psychologists term this self-actualizing behaviour.

Last edited by Foxhound : 09-16-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

Well, as a teenager the answer is definitely A. I still love there 60's/early 70's output though.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Flower

Music Note Re: Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

Great Thread!

I went with option "D."
D. The Stones don't need to continue releasing hit singles so they don't even bother to try. They much prefer to record music that fulfills their own artistic sensibilities. Psychologists term this self-actualizing behaviour.

I'm a bit short for time right now but will respond more at a later date ...

Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
mostfurious
Professional Slacker

Gameroom cash: $11440
Give Thanks: 28

The Stones were huge in the 60's and 70's because they pioneered the genre (I didn't say start the Genre!! let's not get into that...) Rock 'n Roll was still relatively 'new' at the time... so of course people were gonna be excited about it. It's the same with the emergence of every new genre; even if their origins are speculative, most genre origins are attributed to only a few bands.

Music is continually expanding.. and while we can still look back and enjoy/respect the origins, it's great to experience new forms of creativity.

So I guess what I'm saying is: if rock 'n roll had different beginnings and a different sound in the 60's, yeah, it'd be huge today because it'd be new and special because of it.
mostfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Rotherhamkid
Classic Rocker

D.

What exactly have they got left to prove?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1379
Give Thanks: 6

other
times have changed and the mega hit isn't going to be from a rock n roll band anymore.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
white_lancer
Occasional Iconoclast

I went with option B. As sad as it is, the tastes of many teens today are not nearly the tastes of the teens of the 60's. Thus, even if they listened to a Stones song that was released today, they aren't likely to like it because their tastes lie more in the rap/hip-hop or techno areas.
white_lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
flipflop
Prisoner of rock'n'roll

If Jesus landed on Earth in a space ship tomorrow in downtown Washington DC... would anybody a) notice b) give a crap?

Imo, it's kinda the same question

And yes, the hit single transformed into the video single which hasn't been very rock'n'roll (nor huge) since.... eh.... Smells Like Teen Spirit.

It's got much more to do with how the media works than how the Stones work - but I'm guessing Satisfaction would go down pretty well today

I'm a big rock star / My sales have tanked / But I still got you / Thanks / Download this / Sounds like shit

flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

If I recall, I Want You was a hit single for Dylan in the day, but today it is not one of his biggest tracks -- appearing on Dylan's '67 hits collection but not on future compilations.

The thing I don't understand is why new albums from "dinosaur" bands hit #1 on the charts despite being bullcrap compared to their classic albums which often only went to #2 or #3. Or even if they hit #1 too, nobody is going to say that Steel Wheels is on par with Exile On Mainstreet. Nobody is going to say that Modern Times is really as good as Highway 61 Revisited. But new albums from classic acts are gaurenteed chart standings, despite the fact that most of them will not be reccomended to anyone in a year or two. There's a lot of hit classsic rock albums out there from recent times that nobody includes in their lists of "essential first albums to buy from (classic band)."

The market doesn't feed on the same things that it did in the past, certainly I Can't Get No Satisfaction is not going to be big with the same people that are also listening to the Top 40 material. But it's obviously still a hugely popular song, more popular than a lot of the Top 40 material even decades later. But I think the question comes down to whether the Stones market is willing to embrace new music. Satisfaction kicks ass, but are people craving a new Satisfaction? Or are they perhaps happy with the classics they already have.

That being said, it's to some extent hip to be reminiscent of Classic Rock. And in that sense I do believe there are classic rock albums that perhaps could be BIGGER today if released under the modern banners. But that's just a theory of mine.

All in all I honestly don't think there's any formula to understanding the charts and the hits. The industry likes to think that they know how to make a hit record but the fact is that they don't. There are still "monster successes" released every day that end up flopping, for whatever reasons.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #10
flipflop
Prisoner of rock'n'roll

I think it's yet again a question of 'the fan' vs 'the casual listener' - those markets have to meet to make it a huge seller. That's nothing new, as far as I can tell.

The problem with most Stones fans - which I've often pointed out on here - is that EVERYthing they've released since 1972 has been compared to the same 4-5 albums regarded as 'the classics'. Rather than judging each album on its own which is how I feel every album from every band should be judged. Obviously you can't listen to a Steel Wheels and 'pretend' there's no Sticky Fingers out there but... listening to Steel Wheels for the next Wild Horses is just insane, imho.

I think, anyway, that Satisfaction would still have that kind of cross-over appeal that would make it huge today. Not unlike Elvis' 'A little more Satisfaction' - a minor Elvis song back in the day but beefed up for today's market it was huge a few years back. Companies should do that more

I'm a big rock star / My sales have tanked / But I still got you / Thanks / Download this / Sounds like shit

Old 10-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
dangerbird
dancepack

other

i think the audience of today would be happy to embrace new rock tunes....but it doesnt happen because radio and record companies no longer push the good stuff...but its out there

so, the Stones songs of the sixties, if they were released today, would not make a big splash, but it has nothing to do with younger music fans

i dont think the current stones or the stones of the last 20 years would make a splash regardless...theres better bands and music nowadays...but the stones or the 60's and 70's were great (albeit not really my cup of tea)
dangerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

I voted d,hit radio is aimed at 16 year old girls.The Stones don't need hits cos..... THEY ARE THE STONES!

If the Stones want a hit,they should record a duet with that Hanna Montana chick,or those Jonas Brothers.

It doesn't make their newer stuff not as good, if "Satisfaction" or "Brown Sugar" was released in 2008,they wouldn't be hits.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Reverend Rock
lost in the late 60s...and lovin' it!

I think the truth lies somewhere between options B and D. I'm not sure that they could do what would be a hit today simply because I think it's a fairly safe bet that they don't like the kind of music that makes hits today, and therefore couldn't do that kind of music with passion or artistic integrity.

And it is definitely true that they do not have to have hits to continue filling arenas. That's also true of Paul McCartney.

Both the Stones and McCartney managed to still have hits in the 80s, when there was still a certain amount of relationship between contemporary hit radio formats and the type of music they had pioneered in the 60s. But by the early-to-mid 90s, that was pretty much no longer the case.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

This got me thinking......

What was the last "classic" band to have a hit single? Was it Aerosmith "Don't Want To Miss A Thing"? anything more recent then that?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If I recall, I Want You was a hit single for Dylan in the day, but today it is not one of his biggest tracks -- appearing on Dylan's '67 hits collection but not on future compilations.

The thing I don't understand is why new albums from "dinosaur" bands hit #1 on the charts despite being bullcrap compared to their classic albums which often only went to #2 or #3. Or even if they hit #1 too, nobody is going to say that Steel Wheels is on par with Exile On Mainstreet. Nobody is going to say that Modern Times is really as good as Highway 61 Revisited. But new albums from classic acts are gaurenteed chart standings, despite the fact that most of them will not be reccomended to anyone in a year or two. There's a lot of hit classsic rock albums out there from recent times that nobody includes in their lists of "essential first albums to buy from (classic band)."
Alot depends on what else is out there.A classic band might hit #1 because there isn't much else out there.And an album that hit #2 might have had bigger albums to compete with. And new albums from classic acts are definitely not guaranteed chart standings-Lots of classic artists release new material that don't come close to making the top 10-Styx,Skynyrd,Petty,Neil Young and others have all made albums in the past decade that never charted high.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #16
zharth
The Green Manalishi

I don't think the dinosaur bands are any less capable of writing megahits today than they were back then, when the songs they wrote actually were megahits - in terms of the depth of their creativity well. I think the reason they don't make megahits anymore is a combination of 1) their own tastes are changing and evolving, and 2) the market is changing and evolving. And in most cases, these two paths of evolution are divergent.

So I'd probably go with option B, although there may well be some truth in option D, in that these bands may very well not be concerned about making hits like they were back in the day, since they've already "made it".

zharth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $26422
Give Thanks: 256
Exclamation Re: Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

I actually think there's one other factor at work here when it comes to "dinosaur" classic rock bands in general and the Stones in particular. Since they've already made it and mega tour money is so easy, they've gotten more than a bit lazy.

I really would like to see the Rolling Stones release two or three singles per year plus an album that may or may not include these singles as they did in the sixties - but I very much doubt that it's going to happen.

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
flipflop
Prisoner of rock'n'roll

They're still releasing a couple of singles off each album so... nothing's changed that way around, really.