Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #73
dr wu
Dr Prog

Gameroom cash: $2752
Give Thanks: 12
Re: WOWW Radio!

I used to love to lay pinball....been a few years now. In college at IU Bloomington we would play in between classes at the local arcade and beer place. I got pretty good...my brother also had a machine in his house in Bloomington we played ...can't recall the name of the game.
Great looking art work on that machine,
dr wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #74
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $25823
Give Thanks: 242
Exclamation Re: WOWW Radio!

"Playing all this pinball here in the WOWW staff room during this time of social distancing reminds me of the story The MAN always drags out when he's feeling particularly maudlin:"

"I don't remember precisely where and when I encountered my first pinball machine but it must have been over sixty years ago and I've loved them ever since.

As a youngster in the early sixties I was usually required to attend supplemental Lithuanian language classes Saturdays between 4:00 and 5:30 PM during the school year. These classes were in the basement of St. Peter's elementary school just north of downtown London, Ontario on Richmond Street by the cathedral. Dreadfully inconvenient to be sure.

There was a silver lining though. I'd be given $0.50 or so to go see a movie downtown prior to classes plus bus fare there and back. But St. Peter's was only about a mile and a half away from where we lived in Old South London. So I could walk there anyway. The bus fare I could then spend otherwise!

Sometimes I would indeed take in a movie. But often I'd elect to deploy my cash in other ways.

One temptation was a pinball machine at a diner that was right across from the Wishing Well Beverages bottling plant on Richmond Street which was on the southern edge of the downtown area about halfway to St. Peter's. I believe that it was this Gottlieb Sweet Hearts machine released in 1963:

But pinball machines were then banned in Canada as 'illegal gambling devices' until January 1976. But when the new student recreation center at the University of Western Ontario was completed in 1971, it had five pinball machines! One of them was the Gottlieb 2001 released in 1971 which ended up becoming my own gateway machine to a lifetime of sordid pinball degeneracy.

Now I was never short of cash as a student and so I fed many a quarter into that machine. But it couldn't last. You see under the law it was an "illegal gaming device". Accordingly a City of London police officer appeared at the rec center after about three months, played the machines for two or three hours to satisfy himself that they were indeed illegal gaming devices which could very well corrupt students, policemen and whoever else for life, and the machines were gone for good the next day. Yes, seized they were by the fascist State!

While the draconian law was repealed a few years later, I've never forgiven the bastiches. Smash the State I say!

When pinball machines were legalized in my environs in 1976, two specific machines acted to set me on the path to permanent pinball degeneracy. These were both to be found at the York Hotel in downtown London directly across the street from the CNR passenger train station. The first was the Wizard released by Bally in 1975:

A very well designed game, it sold over 10,000 units which smashed Bally's previous production record of 5254 for a pinball machine. I had the game completely mastered and built up a total of nineteen free games on a single quarter one afternoon before I succumbed to fatigue.

The other game was in the other room by the old fashioned greasy spoon lunch counter attached to the York Hotel. (How I miss those greasy spoons now!) It was the Royal Flush machine which Gottlieb released in 1976:

I had my best run ever on this machine one afternoon. I'd hit everything and I had the machine lit up like a Xmas tree. I was already up to five or so free games but I wasn't even targeting the free game hole. My timing was so good that I was hitting the silver ball hard enough to propel/bounce it right off the glass and I just wanted to keep hitting. And then believe it or not but a hippie watching me with astonishment leaned on the machine so hard that he tilted it thus ending my best run of all time. I wanted to belt him!

So no, I've never needed drugs or alcohol. Pinball, model kits, comic mags, gum cards and other baby boomer kids' stuff, muscle cars, and rock music and stereo equipment were all it took to set me on the path to ruin. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry."

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #75
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwww!!! This is Brer Foxhound on WOWW Radio where we just keep on hitting! And tonight's show will be no exception as we're bringing back the ever popular garage rockers.

First though a word from our sponsor. Ladies, are you shall we say less than generously endowed? Would a more eye-catching pair of mammary glands act to enhance your life experience? Well the good folks at Mark Eden now have the answer to your prayers:

Yes, ladies, with Mark Eden's help you too could be stopping traffic everywhere!

And now for the hits!

This is your main man Foxhound signing off for the evening, but be sure to tune in again tomorrow for the best in rock entertainment on either side of the Mississippi!"

"Mmmmmm, The MAN's aunt cooked up a whole potful of cepelinai for us here at WOWW this evening!"

Old 03-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #76
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwww!!! This is WOWW Radio and I'm Professor Foxhound bringing you all the wax that's happening! And I've got another great Psychedelic Sunday Show today, but first a word from our sponsor, Stag Chewing Tobacco!

For those who appreciate real tobacco taste in smoking prohibited areas. Accept no substitutes! Real men ask for Stag Chewing Tobacco by name.

And here they are, the hits for which you've been waiting all day!

That's it for tonight! Tune in again tomorrow."

"Mmmmmm, I thought Roscoe and I could use a late evening snack so I ordered up a couple dozen fried pies from Mrs. Wheat's Louisiana Meat Pies up on Agriculture Street:"

Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #77
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwwww! This is your mad man of rock, Foxhound, coming to you live from the Crescent City on WOWW Radio! And we have all the hits here, yes we do! But before we get to tonight's hot wax, here's a word for you ladies from our sponsor, Chase & Sanborn Coffee:

So don't risk serving flat, stale coffee in the mornings. Reach for the coffee store-tested for freshness, Chase & Sanborn.

And now for another wave of the British Invasion!

That's it for tonight! Tune in again tomorrow for the very best in rock entertainment on the dial."

"Mmmmmmm, The MAN's aunt baked a whole big pan of kugelis for Roscoe and me:

Time to dig in!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 05-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #78
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Mmmmmm, every now and again I like to treat Roscoe and myself to a good-sized bag of White Castle burgers and sides:

Excellent! Time though to get my show on the air."

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwwww! This is your friendly neighbourhood baltic fox coming to you live on WOWW Radio where we play all the hits and more! And I've got a great show of some of the best blues rock tunes of all time for all you avid listeners tonight, but first a word from our sponsor:

Yes, Old Mice After Shave, for those times when you absolutely, positively need to practice social distancing - which of course is just about always for us fellows here at the WOWW studio.

So now here are the hits for which you've all been waiting:

This is Lord Foxhound signing off tonight from the Big Easy, but be sure to tune in again tomorrow!"

Old 04-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #79
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwww! This is Doctor Foxhound coming to you live on WOWW Radio, the hit masters of New Orléans! And I've got another great show for all you fans out there in radioland tonight, but first a word from our sponsor:

Yes, Bell & Howell projection equipment stands out from the crowd!

So now it's time to get out those sandals and beads and protest signs again because tonight I'll be spinning some more of the very best in folk rock tunes:

That's it for me your ever loving Foxhound tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow same spot on the dial!"

"We've been so hard hit by this coronavirus infection here in New Orléans that my cousins up in Acadia just outside of Moncton have taken pity on Roscoe and I and sent us a whole crate of victuals. Very much appreciated since Roscoe and I have been wasting away due to lack of sustenance here these past three weeks. They included both a case of Kam and another one of Klik which Maple Leaf Foods makes available in place of Spam up there in Canada:

I guess my northern cousins still really appreciate all the help I gave them ridding their country of Brits and have now come to my aid in this the hour of our need. But whatever the reason, time to open up a few of these cans! Roscoe's not one for patience."

Old 04-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #80
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwww! This is Brer Foxhound coming to you live on WOWW Radio where we play the hits and nothing but the hits. And I've got another great show on the best in duets for all you listeners out there today but first a word from our sponsor:

Lucky Strike, for those lucky enough to still afford the price of cigarettes these days!

Now for the hits!

That's it for me today! But tune in again tomorrow."

"Mmmmmm, the big pot of chili I ordered up for our post show snack is here!

The Camellia Grill is way Uptown on South Carrolltown Avenue but they make just about the best chili in town so it's worth the wait!"

Old 04-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #81
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"So I've now hired a health care professional to work part-time here at WOWW:

Nurse Madeline's duties will include making sure the rest of the staff, i.e. Roscoe and me, are eating well and staying healthy. She'll also be ensuring that conditions here are sanitary, meaning she'll have to clean up the place as part of her job. That of course is key!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 05-04-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #82
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrroooowwww! This is Professor Foxhound here on the station with the hits, WOWW Radio of New Orléans. And tonight I've got a whole stack of acid rock tunes that will fry your ears. But first a word from our sponsor:

So next time you find yourself overseas in Japan, be sure to visit my distant cousins at Miyagi Zao Fox Village!

Now for the acid!

That's it for tonight! But keep those cards and letters coming and tune in again tomorrow."

"So I got Nurse Madeline's seal of approval and we've ordered up a tray of lasagna from Domenica's over on Baronne Street:

Domenica's lasagna gets everybody's seal of approval!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 04-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:59 PM   #83
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrrooowwww! This is your mad man of music on the Mississippi, your ever loving Foxhound, here on WOWW Radio! And I've got another great show tonight devoted to the very best in country and western rock, but first a word from our sponsor:

It's Ideal! Available wherever better toys are sold.

So get out your six guns and silver spurs now, cause here are tonight's hits:

That's it for us tonight, but be sure to tune in again tomorrow!"

"The MAN's old aunt fried up a huge stack of potato pancakes for us in the studio tonight:

And yes, they have Nurse Madeline's Grade A seal of approval, and Roscoe's too (although his isn't tough when it comes to food)!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 04-06-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #84
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Oh man! A granddaughter of Simon Hubig's delivered a whole crateful of Hubig's New Orléans Style Pies to our studios bright and early this morning. Mmmmmm, all kinds, apple, cherry, lemon, peach, blueberry, chocolate, all my favourites! Roscoe and I have been feasting on them all morning.

They have of course Nurse Madeline's grade A seal of approval. She has in fact been nibbling (shall we say) on them as well.

The Simon Hubig Pie Company opened its Dauphine Street bakery in the Fabourg Marigny neighbourhood of New Orléans in 1922. Hubig's Pies and mascot Savory Simon became local institutions over the years with 30,000 hand-sized pies being produced per day.

The bakery stayed in continuous operation until damage from Hurricane Katrina resulted in a four months suspension of operations in 2005. Sadly a fire on 27 July 2012 destroyed the bakery and Hubig's Pies have been off the market ever since. Production though is slated to restart later in 2020 from a new plant up in Jefferson Parish."

Old 04-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #85
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"This is your rave fave DJ Brer Foxhound coming to you live on WOWW Radio this Sunday evening. I've got another great show for all you real frantic ones tonight, but first a word from our sponsor:

'Dirty Harry', on either DVD or Blu-ray at better video shops everywhere!

And now for the hits!

Man, I love that Garrard Z2000B turntable we have here in the studio! Music just sounds better on vinyl. That's it for tonight, but tune in again tomorrow!"

"Mmmmm, time for another piece of strawberry shortcake!"

Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #86
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrooowwww! This is your main man Foxhound, the godfather of cool, coming to you live on hit radio WOWW! And I've got another great show stacked up to play tonight but first a word from our sponsor:

Yes, look for Milky from Kenner wherever better toys are sold!

So today we're bringing back the girls:

That's it for me tonight! But be sure to tune in again tomorrow for more great platters!"

"Hmmmm, I dunno. Nurse Madeline has strongly suggested that Roscoe and I cut out the late night snacks to keep our weight down while we're not getting around as much with all this social distancing we've been practicing. Well maybe two or three bags of Yum Yum potato chips from the care package my Acadian cousins sent me can't hurt, can they?"

Old 04-08-2020, 12:02 AM   #87
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Bloody hell! There's a plague of rats out there in the French Quarter right now! Where's that dastardly Hepcat when we finally need him here?"

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrrooowwww!!! This is your mad man of rock here on WOWW Radio! Yes, this is Brer Foxhound and for those of you with strong constitutions I have another great 'Punk Till You Puke' show all stacked up to play tonight. But first a paid public service announcement.

Many of you may have heard of the mischief of rats on the streets of the French Quarter:

Yes, with restaurant business way down in the absence of visitors and thus less food waste being put out in back alleyways, rats have been swarming the streets looking for something to eat. Rather than girls gone wild in the streets, we now have rats gone wild! The city administration of New Orléans is therefore putting out a call for any and all pied pipers. Applications will be taken at City Hall on Perdido Street beginning tomorrow morning.

Time now to steel your nerves cause we're about to punk out!

So that's it for tonight! But tune in again tomorrow."

"Now that Nurse Madeline has left for the evening, I just may sneak a few of these Cherry Blossoms from the care package we got from Acadia a few days ago:

Just for Roscoe of course. Really tough to resist those hungry eyes of his...."

Last edited by Foxhound : 06-16-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #88
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Mmmmmm, late supper tonight but it got Nurse Madeline's Grade A seal of approval, fish and chips from Hooks on St. Bernard Avenue!

For us here at WOWW they deliver!"

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrrooowwww! This is Professor Foxhound coming to you live on WOWW radio where we play all the hits and nothing but the hits! Today's show features some of the greatest hits of one of the greatest bands of all time, but first this word from our sponsor:

Pepsi, for those who think young!

Now here they are, the Who!

That's it for tonight! But tune in again tomorrow."

Old 04-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #89
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Oh man, I've been waiting a week for delivery of this fabulous Creature from the Black Lagoon pinball game that Bally released back in 1992:

"Let's see now if I can master it this afternoon!"

Old 04-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #90
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Eeeeek!!! Oh man the time! Boy does time ever fly when you're playing pinball. I'll just grab this play list here and go with it."

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrrooowww! this is Brer Foxhound and i've got a great show for all you animal lovers today. But first a word from our sponsor:

Victoria, I'll bet you'd like to see the rest of her secrets!

So here they are, the Animals!

That's it for me tonight! Keep those cards and letters coming though and tune in again tomorrow."

Last edited by Foxhound : 07-27-2020 at 09:54 AM.