Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
tacobender44
Lost

Give Thanks: 0
Overrated Bands

just say out the names of bands you think are really overrated and tell us why

personally, i think the stones are really overrated, they have a few good songs out of their like 20 albums and thats it
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
discoverjourney
Classic Rocker

Re: Overrated Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender44 View Post
just say out the names of bands you think are really overrated and tell us why

personally, i think the stones are really overrated, they have a few good songs out of their like 20 albums and thats it
I can agree here I've always thought the Stones were overated, good but overated. Queen is another band that I could never really get into with the exception of a couple of songs. I guess it's all just a matter of personal taste.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
jimmy
Classic Rocker

The Stones? :-(

Good call on Queen though. Definitely one of the most overrated bands ever. Pompous, overblown drivel IMO.

First person to say Radiohead is gonna get fucked up.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
carlozzi006
Classic Rocker

I'm a Queen fan, but I can't see how people vote them one of the greatest british bands. I also think AC/DC's a little overrated. They were much better with Bon Scott, and after Back in Black they didn't really do anything other than a couple songs here and there.

Also, I think Radiohead is greatly overrated. I know there are a ton of die-hard fans, but I just don't get it and i think there boring. That's just my opinion.

Titus Andronicus
carlozzi006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3514
Give Thanks: 23

Lately I've come to think that Boston is quite a bit overrated. On my Burning Man trip it seemed that every radio station in every state consisted on a diet of mainly Boston, Boston, Boston. They're a fabulous band, but they've made a couple of great albums at most and they're a band that isn't nearly diverse enough to sustain so much constant play, the way that Led Zeppelin and The Beatles can due to their variety of depths.

I don't get Radiohead either. But that's mainly because of their smooth, soft sound, I think. Eventually I'll find a way to get into them and they'll probably become one of my favorites. Metal used to be too smooth for me, but eventually I came to understand it.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
zen
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1095

I'll pick 3:

Led Zeppelin - I like 'em, but there's too much filler per album.
The Sex Pistols - Only one album, and it wasn't even good.
U2 - If they are best, in the modern rock era, then no wonder
the music biz is in so much trouble.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
dwill123
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $3656

U2
Rush
Dave Matthews Band

all very un-interesting in what they do
Old 10-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
ItsReallyTute
Classic Hippie (that regularly showers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill123 View Post
U2
Rush
Dave Matthews Band

all very un-interesting in what they do

God, I hate Dave Matthews Band. Now I understand why it's one of the biggest drug-fests. You need to be practically comatose to enjoy such a headache. Besides that, Linkin Park. I bet they Circle Jerk before every show.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
infidel
_.:._

Three words: Guns. N. Roses. Axl Rose cannot and never could sing well, IMHO. Once you get past 17 I can't see the attraction.

CSN(Y). People laud their harmonies but they grate on my ears.

I'll agree with the Stones, too. Their good songs are a small part of the their overall output. Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World. Not hardly.

Led Zeppelin has a lot of filler? Not to these ears.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
Three words. Guns. N. Roses. Axl Rose cannot and never could sing well, IMHO. Once you get past 17 I can't see the attraction.

CSN(Y). People laud their harmonies but they grate on my ears.

I'll agree with the Stones, two. Their good songs are a small part of the their overall output. Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World. Not hardly.

Led Zeppelin has a lot of filler? Not to these ears.

I totally agree with CSN(Y)-I never have cared for them
Old 10-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Runtfan
Classic Rocker

Heh...these "overrated" threads are always good for a fight or two...I'll play

Rolling Stones - In spite of the fact that, on a good day, they're a second rate band, they've managed to come up with their share of good singles - I'll give them that much.

AC/DC - A one-trick pony if there ever was one. It was a cool little trick 25 or 30 years ago...now go away.

Metallica - I'm sure there's scads of other metal bands that are FAR worse, but Metallica is held in pretty high esteem by metal fans and the whole thing escapes me...maybe if they had a singer...

Bob Dylan - I know he's a demi-god, especially around here, but given that he's chosen music as his medium (as opposed to poetry/writing) I think he falls pretty well short.

Bruce Springsteen - Maybe it's an east coast thing and I'm a midwestern guy or maybe...I don't know. I don't like his singing and don't really care about his tunes. I believe him - I just don't care about what he has to say, in musical terms certainly.

Just about ANY punk from any era starting with the Velvet Underground's debut - just awful stuff.

Tom Petty - Another CRF2 demi-god...he's got a handful of good songs and is a really good guy, but he's been selling millions of albums for nearly three decades now...really?? I guess it's just me. I think it's his voice - a cross between Roger McGuinn and Bob Dylan - two singers that he loves and I can't stand.

Dave Matthews - semi-interesting music, really good backing band, lousy singer.

The majority of the 80's, MTV hair metal/glam metal crowd - even though most of them didn't have more than an album or two and a hit or two, most of them didn't deserve that much. Yes, I could come up with a good compilation of this type of stuff, but I'd be happy to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Any rap/techno/hip hop...I don't like the genuine article but I especially don't like it when artists I like are trying it out (like my boy Todd Rundgren for instance).

Most old school country music - I hear people rag all the time about how homogenized modern country is...I say hooray (or is it yeehaw?) for homogenization. I can handle most anything that sounds like it was influenced by the Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd and you can have my allotment of Johnny Cash, Hank Sr. ( or Jr. for that matter), Waylon, Merle, George Jones, Conway Twitty, etc. etc. All steel guitars and fiddles can be thrown off a high cliff as far as I'm concerned.

...oh, I'm sure I've forgotten somebody

-Change Myself (Todd Rundgren)
Runtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Travis Bickle
Classic Rocker

The Beatles. Personally I don't like any of their albums entirely, and I've tried a lot of times. Generally, I think they're overrated because people tend to say that they invented absolutely everything in pop music while there's a lot of 60s bands that did a great contribution too, but they remain forgotten. Yes, they were the most important band of their time, but there's more! They didn't revolutionize pop music alone, there were lots of bands that did a lot too.

Just my opinion
Old 10-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtfan View Post
Bob Dylan - I know he's a demi-god, especially around here, but given that he's chosen music as his medium (as opposed to poetry/writing) I think he falls pretty well short.
Can't really call a guy overrated when people rag on his singing and playing constantly. Interesting point, though. If he had published the SAME words over the years in a series of poetry books, he'd probably be virtually unknown to any but poetry wonks.

Quote:
Bruce Springsteen - Maybe it's an east coast thing and I'm a midwestern guy or maybe...I don't know. I don't like his singing and don't really care about his tunes. I believe him - I just don't care about what he has to say, in musical terms certainly.
I'm east coast born-and-raised and I don't care for him in the least. He just played here yesterday in a free concert to get out the vote and I couldn't be buggered to walk the 5 blocks to see him.

Quote:
Tom Petty - Another CRF2 demi-god...he's got a handful of good songs and is a really good guy, but he's been selling millions of albums for nearly three decades now...really??
Agree here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
The Beatles. Personally I don't like any of their albums entirely, and I've tried a lot of times. Generally, I think they're overrated because people tend to say that they invented absolutely everything in pop music while there's a lot of 60s bands that did a great contribution too, but they remain forgotten. Yes, they were the most important band of their time, but there's more! They didn't revolutionize pop music alone, there were lots of bands that did a lot too.

Just my opinion
Mine, too, except there are several of their albums I like entirely. There are many I don't, too. The early bubble-gum stuff I could live without, e.g., I Wanna Hold Your Hand. The covers were cool though, e.g., Twist and Shout.

One more: The Police. Ugh. Their songs are so annoying and repetitious. Can't stand them, but I'm obviously in the minority.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Queen - Self-Indulgent pomp-rock. There toe-curlingly overblown. An example of why Punk Rock HAD to happen.

Rush - Long, boring songs with frankly embarrassing sci-fi/fantasy lyrics. Not to mention Geddy Lee's dreadful vocals in addition to Alex Lifeson's technically proficient but woefully uninteresting guitar playing.

AC/DC - These guys have made like, 13 albums worth of material by repeting the same song! If that wasn't reason enough to dislike them then their quite frankly childish lyrics (See: Big Balls) is reason more.

Van Halen - To me, this is the epitome of something that 80's hard rock has been forever plagued by. Poppy hooks, short catchy chorus driven songs, the "oh look at me I can wank all over my guitar" flashyness, the useless sex appeal; this band has it all.

Bon Jovi - Do I really even need to explain this one?

Alice In Chains - Basically, the formula of Alice In Chains is that a mindless riff gets pounded to the ground whilst Layne Stanley wails his pretentious bullshit over the top. It probably sounds really cool when your like, 15 though.

Save the worst till last...

Guns N' Roses - Like Aerosmith, they're just another white-trash American Stones rip-off, only worse, since they're an Aerosmith rip-off. Despite "critics" assertions, these guys couldn't rock as hard as Metallica or swing as effectively as Jane's Addiction. They connected with whites the world over because Axel Rose hates anyone he considers "different." Like Toby Keith a decade later, Axel was hailed as the "great white hope" for popular music when it was dominated by black music (Michael Jackson-inspired dance-pop and Hip-Hop). Later, finding that Hip-Hop could not be dislodged as the most popular music medium in America, critics deified rapper Eminem as the new "white hope." Appetite for Destruction might have sold several million more copies than Public Enemy's Yo! Bum Rush The Show or Sonic Youth's Sister (two of the best albums of 1987), but it is no where near the equal of those albums in intelligence, heart and soul.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
tacobender44
Lost

what are you guys saying about CSN being overrated??

their first album was nothing short of godly, but then when neil young (as much as i love him) enters the scene, the whole band went down the crapper
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Runtfan
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtfan View Post
Can't really call a guy overrated when people rag on his singing and playing constantly. Interesting point, though. If he had published the SAME words over the years in a series of poetry books, he'd probably be virtually unknown to any but poetry wonks.
The thing is the only people you hear talking about him being a crappy singer or musician are rock/pop/music fans ( and an incredibly vast majority in my experience)...but the giants of the industry, the artists that so many of us listen to, support, and idolize are the ones that are always trumpeting his virtues and talking about him as if it's a given that he's better than everyone else. I guess it's maybe just the circles I've traveled over the years ( and currently the majority of the circles I travel in are other musicians), but outside of CRF2 and a couple other message boards, I can't name one person who I know to be a Bob Dylan fan. I don't EVER remember anyone trying to turn me on to Dylan. I don't ever hear his songs covered by bands live. I only very rarely have ever heard a Dylan song on the radio, he's got one of the, if not THE most parodied and ridiculed voices in the last40 years...where's the fan base? How did he get to be a legend? He's almost like a mythical creature.
It's almost like the guy that sings, plays, writes the songs, does the concerts is usurping his own legend.
He'd be easy to dismiss except that people like the Beatles and Joni Mitchell and David Crosby (people who's writing I really love and respect) talk about him like he's Jesus or something.
There's definitely a serious disconnect happening. It's kinda rare for someone to have that kind of respect and not be more popular...I mean, his name is as popular as anyone's but why? That's what I have a hard time understanding. As my dad says "famous for being famous".

-Change Myself (Todd Rundgren)
Runtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3514
Give Thanks: 23

Say wha......?? Bob Dylan is only famous for being famous? Can't say I agree.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
infidel

Runtfan: famous for being famous is way overstated. The man is an incredible song-writer. The songs are really, really great. That's why people like Joni idolize him. And re: popularity, let's face it, Joni Mitchell fans are not exactly dominating the globe either, but you know how great her music is. I don't know anyone IRL that's seriously into Joni beyond the relatively few hits. And would anyone have accepted her long narrative songs if Dylan had not made that kind of song ok? She says as much herself in the documentary Woman of Heart And Mind (highly recommended if you haven't seen it.) I have averred that Joni at her best is a good as Dylan (and taken flak for it on some quarters) but she doesn't have nearly the number of great songs he has.

And personally, I like most of his performances. People vastly overdo the 'whiney nasal' thing. He does NOT always sing like that. His 'voice' (both physical and how he uses it) varies from song to song. His guitar playing is very underrated, IMHO, at least on the albums. I think sometimes people get a little too hung up on things sounding sweet. A little rawness and down-and-dirtyness is no bad thing, IMHO.

I've related before how it took me a long time to get into Dylan. Some have said, well if it's that hard, how good can he be? I can only say that being a fan now for about 6 years I can't tell you how much pleasure his music has brought me. As much as Joni's. I'd suggest you give him another chance sometime. Start with Blood on the Tracks. That's the album that got me going. Absolutely classic.

That said, there's a fair bit of his work I don't care for. That's ok, too. And some I have yet to try.