Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #19
Runtfan
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Overrated Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
Runtfan: famous for being famous is way overstated. The man is an incredible song-writer. The songs are really, really great. That's why people like Joni idolize him. And re: popularity, let's face it, Joni Mitchell fans are not exactly dominating the globe either, but you know how great her music is. I don't know anyone IRL that's seriously into Joni beyond the relatively few hits. And would anyone have accepted her long narrative songs if Dylan had not made that kind of song ok? She says as much herself in the documentary Woman of Heart And Mind (highly recommended if you haven't seen it.) I have averred that Joni at her best is a good as Dylan (and taken flak for it on some quarters) but she doesn't have nearly the number of great songs he has.

And personally, I like most of his performances. People vastly overdo the 'whiney nasal' thing. He does NOT always sing like that. His 'voice' (both physical and how he uses it) varies from song to song. His guitar playing is very underrated, IMHO, at least on the albums. I think sometimes people get a little too hung up on things sounding sweet. A little rawness and down-and-dirtyness is no bad thing, IMHO.

I've related before how it took me a long time to get into Dylan. Some have said, well if it's that hard, how good can he be? I can only say that being a fan now for about 6 years I can't tell you how much pleasure his music has brought me. As much as Joni's. I'd suggest you give him another chance sometime. Start with Blood on the Tracks. That's the album that got me going. Absolutely classic.

That said, there's a fair bit of his work I don't care for. That's ok, too. And some I have yet to try.
Well, alot of it comes down to the subjectivity of what to like about songs in the first place. I don't doubt that Dylan was a big influence on many people as a lyric writer. I don't doubt it because many people have said it and I'm not familiar enough with his lyrics to argue either way...
...but I'm a music guy, first and foremost. Which is why I would aver that Dylan is in no way shape or form in the same universe as Joni mitchell musically. I have a hard time seeing how or why that would even make a valid comparison , musically speaking. As a songwriter, Joni's light years better because, in addition to writing great lyrics (yes, I pay attention to Joni's lyrics because of the package they come in), she has great melodies, is a great singer, writes incredible chord progressions, interesting instrumental arrangements. Granted, I own just about everything Joni's ever released and where Dylan's concerned, I know the same 10 songs most anybody would know, plus a few albums I slogged through on Rhapsody.
I'll concede anything you want concerning Dylan's words - like I said, I'm not familair enough with his words to argue but mostly don't care enough because he operates in the medium of music. Someone who operates in the music medium, sells records and does concerts, ought to be able to deliver. Even you, Infidel, as a hardcore Dylan fan, don't even defend him in that regard and, for gosh sakes, I've read reviews on this very message board talking about concerts where he was mumbling and slurring his words. If words are his strong suit - and assuming he's got one, that's it - he's doesn't even care enough about that to get that across to an audience.
Musically, I think he's really boring and repititous for the most part. But his biggest sin of all?...that infernal harmonica playing

Anyway, he's an acquired taste that I haven't been able to acquire and am just not very interested in trying to acquire. I've made a few attempts on my own and am baffled by the whole thing. If I sat down with a book of his lyrics and read it, maybe I could see the genius...if I have to listen to his music along with it, it would drive me to distraction and damage the credibility of anything I read - that's how much I dislike his music and singing.

-Change Myself (Todd Rundgren)
Runtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
Tkitna
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $2362
Give Thanks: 1

Nirvana - Some say they changed music, but to me, it was for the worse. I dont like any of their songs that i've heard and I just dont think they were very talented.

Eagles - I'm not capping on their playing and I dont doubt they are talented, but I dont like hardly anything they've done. Maybe its the smooth, country based tunes or something else. I just cant do them. I still consider the Long Run as being their most entertaining album.

AC/DC - What everybody else has said. They've made the same album over and over again.

CCR - Fogerty has one of the most irritating voices i've ever heard and they do nothing for me.

Oasis - I'm a Beatle fan and I cant even listen to them. I've never understood the appeal.

Springsteen - I like one song from his entire catalog (Trapped). Besides that, I loathe him.

Dylan - Great songwriter as long as somebody else sings them. I saw him once in concert with Paul Simon and could only take 2 songs before I left. His voice is that bad to me.

ZZ Top - A band that literally gives me heartburn when I hear them.

Van Halen - They have the Boston affect on me (although I like Boston), every song sounds the same.

Tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #21
white_lancer
Occasional Iconoclast

I'm gonna step on quite a few toes here...

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. The Doors
4. AC/DC
5. Guns N' Roses
6. Bob Dylan
7. The Rolling Stones
8. Queen
9. Kiss
10. The Police
11. John Lennon
12. Bon Jovi
13. Jimi Hendrix
14. Neil Young
15. Aerosmith

There are many more, but those are the ones that I think are the most overrated. If we move out of bands that can be considered Classic Rock, you could definitely say Nickelback, Creed, Fall Out Boy, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, etc...
white_lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #22
white_lancer
Occasional Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtfan View Post
Anyway, he's an acquired taste that I haven't been able to acquire and am just not very interested in trying to acquire. I've made a few attempts on my own and am baffled by the whole thing. If I sat down with a book of his lyrics and read it, maybe I could see the genius...if I have to listen to his music along with it, it would drive me to distraction and damage the credibility of anything I read - that's how much I dislike his music and singing.
I agree with this almost exactly, except for the fact that I like "Like a Rolling Stone." I actually have 8 (I think) of his albums and they just don't do anything for me.

I read over the replies and almost everyone that I've mentioned, with the exceptions of the Doors, Kiss, John Lennon, Hendrix, and Aerosmith. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that some of them haven't been mentioned yet.
white_lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #23
Moonchild
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Ouch!! You stepped on my toes I do agree with a a few of your choices but hey, it would be a boring old world if we all agreed on the same thing now wouldn't it?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 AM   #24
carlozzi006
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_lancer View Post
11. John Lennon

I am a huge Beatles/Lennon fan, but I can kind of see where you are coming from. I think Lennon's solo work was very up and down. Obviously he had a handful of great tunes, but he only had one really good album (Plastic Ono Band). I think his premature and tragic death has a lot to do with how his solo work is viewed today. If he was still alive I don't think it would mean as much to people as it currently does.

Titus Andronicus
carlozzi006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:48 AM   #25
Quadrophenic73
I'm villifying you for god's sake! Pay attention!

Radiohead. I've tried to get into them and people have tried to get me into them, but all to no avail. I don't know exactly what it is about this band that repels me. Is it the lack of riff/hookage? The high-pitched whine of Thom Yorke's voice? The irritating electronic "landscape"? All I know is that There are three types of people: those who love Radiohead and those who will concede to their supposed brilliance but aren't hung up on them, and finally, that very small group of people that just doesn't see what all the fuss is about. I'm one of those people.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #26
jimmy
Classic Rocker

I fucking love Radiohead but can understand why people dont like them. Especially if what you look for in music is just "riff/hookage" What's wrong with electonic landscapes by the way?
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #27
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender44 View Post
what are you guys saying about CSN being overrated??

their first album was nothing short of godly, but then when neil young (as much as i love him) enters the scene, the whole band went down the crapper

Hey you like them thats good,but I say they are overrated
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #28
mostfurious
Professional Slacker

Gameroom cash: $11380
Give Thanks: 28

Overrated?

The Rolling Stones,
The Beatles,
Bob Dylan,
Queen,
These four I'll listen to, and even enjoy quite a few songs... but I just don't understand how anyone can be completely hardcore over these bands. Nothing overly special IMO..

Bruce Springsteen,
John Mellencamp,

These two I absolutely cannot stand... terrible voices.

I could add scores of new bands to the list, but I won't bother 'cause most people would probably agree with me anyways..
mostfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #29
ShuffleItAll
Guitar Romantic

um... so what do you guys not consider overrated?! :P
ShuffleItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #30
JohnDMcClane
Artist

Hmmmm...I have to think a LONG time about that.

Overrated? I do dislike My Chemical Romance, but other than that, I don't know really.

I'm just here for the peanuts.

JohnDMcClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #31
Scotty
Classic Rocker

I'm going to come about this question from a different direction. All these bands that have been listed so far are all pretty good/great bands. I don't look at them as being overated. I just get burned out listening to them.

With that being said. Everytime Aerosmith comes on the radio I switch channels. So there. Thats my overated band.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #32
hogfat
Blues Rocker

YES. I'm not sure that they're really overrated, I've just never been able to get into them.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #33
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALPRIEST View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I fucking love Radiohead but can understand why people dont like them. Especially if what you look for in music is just "riff/hookage" What's wrong with electonic landscapes by the way?
I can't speak for anyone else but if the question was directed to me I would say, maybe it's the same thing that's wrong with "Long, boring songs with frankly embarrassing sci-fi/fantasy lyrics. Not to mention Geddy Lee's dreadful vocals in addition to Alex Lifeson's technically proficient but woefully uninteresting guitar playing."

Give me RUSH over Radiohead anyday...why?

IMO...BETTER music all around..

Except for the fact Radiohead songs aren't exactly "long" not in terms of when we are talking about prog rock as in the case with Rush. Not that there is anything wrong with long songs of course but at least the likes of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's and Genesis' long songs go somewhere. It's not just highly proficient technical wankery as in the case of Rush.

Secondly, yes Radiohead have had technology themed songs (primarily on OK Computer) but the lyrical topics covert a far different message than the fantasy bullshit that coun be found on any Neil Peart lyric sheet.

And as for Radiohead having un-interesting guitar playing, well that is frankly such nonsense i'm not even going to bother wasting my time replying to it.

Radiohead are frankly leagues ahead in terms of artistic and lyrical integrity than Rush ever have been.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3504
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
I like my landscapes to be quote unquote
Any Radiohead songs off the top of your head that you think I might like?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #35
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Burzumic? As in the mentally fucked-up death metal band? They're a far cry from the landscapes that can be found on Kid A.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #36
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3504
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
Burzumic? As in the mentally fucked-up death metal band? They're a far cry from the landscapes that can be found on Kid A.
Well, I provided a link. Burzum isn't a death metal band. But that's an understandable mistake. As for them being different from Radiohead, I guess that explains why I don't like Radiohead... You've got no song suggestions, then?