Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
Beat Less
Beat Less's Beatle Of The Day

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Overrated Bands

when i saw the title of the thread i thought this would turn into a nirvana/cobain hate thread. im kinda surprised

All comin' from human imagination
Day dreaming days in a daydream nation
Beat Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #38
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $21024
Give Thanks: 167
Question Re: Overrated Bands

Tacobender:

Quote:
personally, i think the stones are really overrated, they have "a few" good songs out of their like 20 albums and thats it.
Yes. A few being a couple hundred or so, that being more than the first three bands on your list of favourites - the Allman Brothers, the Band and Black Sabbath - put together. In fact, I really like only one track by Black Sabbath, that being "Paranoid".

Runtfan:

Quote:
Rolling Stones - In spite of the fact that, on a good day, they're a second rate band, they've managed to come up with their share of good singles - I'll give them that much.
Is there any other workable definition of a "good" band than one that comes up with good singles i.e. good music?

I don't like to say "overrated" because it presupposes that my taste is better/more accurate than the consensus, however loosely defined that in itself may be. There was, however, another thread entitled "Bands that the whole world loves but you don't" in which I submitted this list:

Elton John
Paul McCartney & Wings
Van Halen
Yes
Electric Light Orchestra
Doobie Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Kim Mitchell
Barenaked Ladies
Joni Mitchell

Last edited by Foxhound : 10-10-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #39
BBrock
Classic Rocker

I find it a bit hard to define overrated, but a couple i feel could fit.

Van Halen ( Great guitarist. Other than that i don't quite see the appeal )

The Doors ( I never quite understood Jim Morrison's promotion to half-god. Good vocalist, but there's a lot of better ones. )

Sex Pistols ( I could have said this about a lot of punk bands, but i let sex pistols represent at all.)

Black Sabbath ( Incredibly important for rock music, but i don't think they are as good as some people think.)

Guns N' Roses ( I really tried, but couldn't get into them. And Axl annoys me.)

I could mention a couple more, but decided i had stepped on enough toes...
BBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #40
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Burzumic? As in the mentally fucked-up death metal band? They're a far cry from the landscapes that can be found on Kid A.
Well, I provided a link. Burzum isn't a death metal band. But that's an understandable mistake. As for them being different from Radiohead, I guess that explains why I don't like Radiohead... You've got no song suggestions, then?
Well whatever the case it would be very difficult to find Radiohead songs that resemble Burzum. I've heard there material before but I'm not so smart on differentiating between metal sub-genres. All I'll say is that if your really into electronic soundscapes then listen to Kid A. If you must then the best songs from the album would be How To Dissapear Completely, The National Anthem but it's really an album that needs to be listened to in it's entirety to fully appreciate.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #41
white_lancer
Occasional Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuffleItAll View Post
um... so what do you guys not consider overrated?! :P
Well, 7 out of my top 10 have not yet been mentioned as overrated in this thread, and the 2 of the 3 that have been mentioned have only been mentioned once.
white_lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #42
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Well Radiohead are a bigger band than Rush anyway (maybe not amongst the classic rock crowd but in general) but that is completely beside the point. Bon Jovi has sold more records than Broken Social Scene but in terms of musical quality, anyone who prefers BJ is removed of the right to have a musical opinion.

I completely disagree with your point about Rush "reaching people" moreso than Radiohead. If you think lyrical themes about intergalactical bullshit is more relevant to people than the pentant, political and social-minded themes that are found on a Thom Yorke lyric sheet then you are very dilusional indeed.

I dont listen to Radiohead to "be in crowd" to "fit in" or "be cool." I just love their music for what it is, why can you not accept this? That people have different music taste to you?

In contrast to what you think, I dont care if people prefer Rush to Radiohead. But why come onto a music forum if you dont want other people to state their opinions or have our opinions challenged? Isn't that the whole point of them?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #43
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $21024
Give Thanks: 167
Exclamation Re: Overrated Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
Bon Jovi has sold more records than Broken Social Scene but in terms of musical quality, anyone who prefers BJ is removed of the right to have a musical opinion.
That's a pretty bold statement.

1. What about those who don't think much of Bon Jovi but have never even heard of Broken Social Scene (probably due to the radio stations to which they listen which is more often than not age related)?

2. Do you think that professors of music and the conductors of present day symphony orchestras would wholeheartedly back your view? And don't say that these fellows know nothing about music or rock music specifically because they most certainly do.

3. Are you currently studying music in university? Can you even read music?

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #44
Hepcat

Exclamation Re: Overrated Bands

AC/DC, Rush, Ozzy Osbourne, and Blood, Sweat & Tears with David Clayton Thomas are very high on my list of popular bands that I myself strongly dislike.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #45
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

As a fan of both Rush and Radiohead, can I just say that both Jimmy and Metalpriest are indulging in stereotypes. Rush's lyrics are not all "fantasy bullsh*t" and Radiohead fans are not all trying to "be cool" I'm a 43 year old father of four, my "cool" ship sailed years ago. I listen to Radiohead for the same reason I listen to any music, because it speaks to me in some way.

As for Rush, Peart's lyrics touch on topics ranging from teen alienation to government oppression. Peart's more linear direct approach to songwriting is different from Yorke, who depends more on imagery, but it can be equally effective.

Really Rush and Radiohead are an apples to oranges comparison, but they both have their merits.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #46
carlsoco
Hey Beavis.... Pull my finger

This list could be very long...
Kiss.... good stage show, god awful music
Deep Purple... they just plain suck
Styx... why?
Dave Matthews.... poor mans dead
Grateful Dead.... concerts were fun, music is shite
carlsoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #47
zen
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1095

Quote:
Deep Purple... they just plain suck
Not surprising coming from someone who said, "Elton owned the 70's."
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #48
Zombeels

Gameroom cash: $3694
Give Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALPRIEST View Post
Quote:
Well Radiohead are a bigger band than Rush anyway

Don't know why you're laughing because it is a fact and not opinion.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #49
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Quote:
Well Radiohead are a bigger band than Rush anyway

No Radiohead are a bigger band than Rush. Somehow I doubt Rush would be able to headline a major festival like Glastonbury or Coachella or release a number one album anytime soon.

Quote:
anyone who prefers BJ is removed of the right to have a musical opinion.
We'll get back to this one.... We'll call this QUOTE # 2

That remark was quite tongue-in-cheek. I was clearly joking but some of us cannot grasp that can we?

Quote:
If you think lyrical themes about intergalactical bullshit is more relevant to people than the pentant, political and social-minded themes that are found on a Thom Yorke lyric sheet then you are very dilusional indeed.
If you think all Peart's lyrics are about intergalactical bulls*** then..dilusional would be a very good word indeed

They do have sci-fi/fantasy driven lyrics though do they not? And you have the audacity to claim that they connect with people moreso than Radiohead.

That was my point..I could care less if you get Rush or not...they're not for everyone...you have to get it..but don't come off like you know everything about Peart or his words....you don't like them, you don't like them...just get it right when backing up your "opinion"

Quote:
I just love their music for what it is, why can you not accept this? That people have different music taste to you?
Oh I can...the only difference is you get hot when someone doesn't like what you like..

Or you go into threads regarding bands you don't like just to toss around your F-bombs to everybody...no one's impressed dude...

I was responding to moronic claim that I only listen to Radiohead as to "be cool." I dont "get hot" when someone doesn't like a band I like at all. Notice how when I gave my reasons for not liking Rush on the other hand you're all over me like rabies.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #50
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
I stand by my above responses to Jimmy....he hates everything (though I have some tastey LIFE cereal he may get into) and has to make it known...my points were to say that he knows ZIP about Peart's lyrics.

I dont know where you get the presumption that I "hate everything." Some of us just aren't impressed by any old mindless white trash.

Much bigger and better band (JMO)..more history and longevity as well.

So because Rush are older and have been going longer that makes them a better band? That point is completely void of any intellegence whatsoever.

I'm not gonna claim (as Jimmy does about Rush) that I know everything about Radiohead but I do know this..

...trendy...not stero typing..but mainly..the people I met that like them...Sonic Youth also..that kind of thinking.

Let's be hip and real bizzzzzarre..Throbbing Gristle man!!! Residents!!

I've been to a Sonic Youth gig and not all of the audience were hipsters you know. All sorts of people ranging in all different ages, so please come back when you know what you're talking about.

I like these bands also and I have close to 4,000 CD's...but I prefer better melodies and bands that...you know...well...ROCK!!

Radiohead puts me to sleep...I'd rather listen to The London Suede / Suede ('bout the closest I get as I own everything by them)

Radiohead have both songs with gorgeous melodies and actually, songs that "rock" which are danceable too. The difference is that when I want to rock out I dont listen to something as boring as Rush.

I don't see anything wrong with being a Radiohead, if one picked this for their thing or their bag...but tell me...what is wrong with being a Rush fan in return...and how does one that hates Rush claim to know so much but prove to know very little???

When did I say there was anything wrong in being a rush fan? And when did I claim to know "so much" about Rush?

Besides, RadioHead wrote CREEP... (nice rip off of The Hollies)

Yeah right. Interesting that you picked on there most famous hit, thus sustaining my belief that you barely know what your talking about when it comes to RH.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #51
That 70s Guy
Bad

Gameroom cash: $1658
Give Thanks: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Less View Post
when i saw the title of the thread i thought this would turn into a nirvana/cobain hate thread. im kinda surprised

It could still happen.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #52
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

Quote:
Rush is technical but Rush to me =

Radiohead =
Again, I like both bands, but Rush is like the mascot band for nerds around the world so I found this amusing.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #53
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Like rabies

I love it when someone gets busted out..all of a sudden their exact words were "tounge in cheek"...try hateful bro!

Hate is a strong word. Even my feelings for Bon Jovi dont stretch that far.

Better read it again dude.

I already said you like 'em..you like 'em..no need to defend them to me.

RUSH do sell out shows across the oceans as well and have had their share of huge ass festivals. Who cares.

Well you're the one who brought it up so ask yourself that question

You're not the only Radiohead here or in the world for that matter and that's cool..but this thread is Overated bands.

I think they are.

I gathered that. I dont think they are.

Maybe check out this thread....you can view the poll results and see who voted for what.

Multiple choice and some voted a few times under 4 count 'em 4 choices for greatest or best and that didn't help as OVERATED for Radiohead still won, and those people only voted ONE TIME...

https://www.crf2.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2027

Yes but having looked at the poll results, 25 people still gave a positive notion towards the music. Compared to the 20 that thought they were overrated. And considering this is a CLASSIC ROCK forum which doesn't take too kindly to alternative rock at times I consider that a refreshing result.

Sorry dude....I don't care if you hate Rush..it's all good. You need to open your eyes and read, The point was you've proven to know very little about Peart as a lyricist.

Same could be said about you're knowlege about Radiohead. What's more to the point is that I have no desire to learn more about Peart because his output is appaling.

State your opinion..but don't try and back it up if you're really not sure.

Me? Quite simple..Radiohead puts me to sleep...

Rush is technical but Rush to me =

Radiohead =

lol. You have to be kidding me?

Hey..like I said..it's not like I go on a bashing frenzy like you do all across this place with F-this,F-that,F-them...making fun of fan bases..ect.

I took it easy on you, Radiohead fans and Radiohead in general,besides stating my opinion that they make me sleepy...so don't get pissed at me..better yet...get pissed at this guy...good read!!

https://www.somethingawful.com/d/your...head-sucks.php

haha, what an idiot.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #54
carlozzi006
Classic Rocker

Wow, this is getting stupid.

I like Rush a lot better than Radiohead. I just can't get into them, but if you don't like Rush that's cool. It's your opinion. I know there are a lot of Radiohead fans out there who live and die for the band, so we shouldn't be arguing that they aren't good. They are good to a lot of people, just not to me.

Everybody has their own unique musical taste and I just think a lot of people can't take it when a band they loved is hated by another person.

If somebody told me they hated the Beatles, I wouldn't really give it another thought. I might try to plead my case, but all that matters at the end of the day is that I still love the Beatles.

Titus Andronicus
carlozzi006 is offline   Reply With Quote