Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #55
discoverjourney
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Overrated Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlozzi006 View Post
Wow, this is getting stupid.

I like Rush a lot better than Radiohead. I just can't get into them, but if you don't like Rush that's cool. It's your opinion. I know there are a lot of Radiohead fans out there who live and die for the band, so we shouldn't be arguing that they aren't good. They are good to a lot of people, just not to me.

Everybody has their own unique musical taste and I just think a lot of people can't take it when a band they loved is hated by another person.

If somebody told me they hated the Beatles, I wouldn't really give it another thought. I might try to plead my case, but all that matters at the end of the day is that I still love the Beatles.

You are so right, I don't take it personally because people don't like Journey, and just because I may think a band is overated doesn't mean that they don't have their fans, it's just my personal taste. Nobody is right or wrong it's just personal opinions, and we all got um. I don't try to force mine on anyone, and nobody's gonna force theirs on me.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #56
heyjoe
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1904
Give Thanks: 14

The Osmonds... and when they released Goin Coconuts,
that was it... never again would I be duped.

heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #57
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALPRIEST View Post
I'll stick with bands that Rock,have melody, and try to get some quality together.

I'm not saying Radiohead doesn't do that, but they're the kind of band that think they are being artsy...create a bunch of dribble...hell I believe they could fart on the mic for 45 minutes...and somehow I feel that SOME of their fans would be all over it as the greatest thing ever.
Why all the hate dude? If you don't think Radiohead are melodic than either:

A) You haven't heard much Radiohead music

or

B) You don't know what melody is.

There's no C. They aren't your cup of tea? Good for you. They are talented musicians making beautiful music. Music that you don't like. I would say your taste is more in question than their talent.

Quote:
So it's probably a good thing to pay off critics once in awhile
Sour grapes much?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #58
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALPRIEST View Post
You're both right..and in my defense if you re-read most of the posts...I was only referring to Jimmy thinking that Peart's lyrics were ALL fantasy driven.
You took that completely out of context (as per usual). I never said that ALL of his lyrics were fantasy-driven, you just assumed that. It was you who started this, stalking me as per usual, calling me up on every single post that I make, and dont deny this you always have done it. Ever since I registered, telling me to leave because of the mere fact that you assumed I was "only into hip-hop" which is ridiculous considering I was new at the time for you to assume such a thing.

Quote:
How many times do I have to say to this guy that I don't care if he doesn't like Rush...

Then be accused that I don't know much about Radiohead?? I believe in one post I said I'm not claiming to know alot...Isaid that early on...wayyy early on...I didn't say they wrote songs about this and that...and then come back later and say...Oh I didn't say I knew it all. (not my kind of game)
I dont know a great deal about Rush, and more to the point why should I want to see ing as I dont like them. I dont HATE them (like once again you assumed) and nor do I care that you like them and (for whatever reason) dont like Radiohead. Theres a difference though, as to why you claim that the only people who like them do so just to try to "be cool" or "fit in" or whatever it was you said.

Quote:
...they're not hiding behind a computer saying F- This, F-That, "WHITE TRASH" (so I take it that's what I am being a Rush fan Jimmy? Sure as hell seemed like you implied that in post # 55)
Rush aren't white trash (I'll give them that much) :-) I was more reffering to some of the embarrassing, latex cladded 80's hair-metal bands that your into.

Enjoy your Radiohead dude...as long as you like it..all that matters.

Quote:
I'll stick with bands that Rock,have melody, and try to get some quality together.

I'm not saying Radiohead doesn't do that, but they're the kind of band that think they are being artsy...create a bunch of dribble...hell I believe they could fart on the mic for 45 minutes...and somehow I feel that SOME of their fans would be all over it as the greatest thing ever.
See the Rosers excellent post.

Quote:
Note Jimmy: How I said SOME above and highlighted it for you. I know how people like you like to take things out of context as you did throughout our entire debate....SO NO STEREOTYPING...Some does not equal ALL
Ha ha ha. This coming from you! The person who presumes that everybody who listens to Radiohead or Sonic Youth is only doing so as to "be cool" rather than actually appreciating the music. Nor did I ever say that EVERY SINGLE Neil Peart lyric was about fantasy. Again, something you made up.

cheers.[/quote]
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #59
Hepcat

Question Re: Overrated Bands

If I still like to listen to the Doors, Animals, Cream, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Kinks, Traffic, Beatles, Vanilla Fudge, Yardbirds, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Who, Santana etc., does that make me so much of a dinosaur that I'm beyond even being called uncool?

But the Queen Street hipsters these days all think retro is cool....

Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #60
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3514
Give Thanks: 23

You know... I curse hipsters as often as anybody does. I really do. But frankly I think it's a myth from start to finish. Hipsters? Nope. Just people who like different stuff than you do. Just because someone doesn't understand their music or their style or their ideas doesn't make them elitist hipsters, they just like and understand different things than someone else. Likewise, there's no such thing as an anti-hipster, we all have our own scene and our own frame of reference for what makes sense, what is 'cool', what sounds good, what is 'artsy' or 'elitist.' We're all hipsters. Everyone on the planet....
Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #61
Flower

Silly Re: Overrated Bands

Hipsters!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #62
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3514
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
In the late 1990s, the 1940s slang term hipster began being used to describe young, urban middle class and upper class adults with interests in non-mainstream fashion and culture. Actually defining what a hipster is can be a difficult task considering the idea that hipsters are thought to exist as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior[s]."[1] Hipsters are also referred to, in some contexts, as scenesters.[2]
Sounds like all of us, to me. A mutating melting pot of styles? IOW anything & anybody. Everybody's a scenester, since trying to have no scene is a scene itself.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #63
heyjoe
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1904
Give Thanks: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
You know... I curse hipsters as often as anybody does. I really do. But frankly I think it's a myth from start to finish. Hipsters? Nope. Just people who like different stuff than you do. Just because someone doesn't understand their music or their style or their ideas doesn't make them elitist hipsters, they just like and understand different things than someone else. Likewise, there's no such thing as an anti-hipster, we all have our own scene and our own frame of reference for what makes sense, what is 'cool', what sounds good, what is 'artsy' or 'elitist.' We're all hipsters. Everyone on the planet....
Ding Ding, we have a winner! True words of wisdom Deja Vu.

Although, some 'hipsters' are pretty cool, but that's mainly because
they have no idea that they are hi... nevermind.
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #64
Hepcat

Music Note Re: Overrated Bands

Hey! I guess everybody agrees that I'm cool!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #65
Beat Less
Beat Less's Beatle Of The Day

what Hollies song did creep steal from???

All comin' from human imagination
Day dreaming days in a daydream nation
Beat Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #66
Fever Dog
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Less View Post
what Hollies song did creep steal from???

The Air That I Breathe
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #67
tacobender44
Lost

am i the only one here that thinks radiohead and rush both suck?
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #68
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlozzi006 View Post
Wow, this is getting stupid.

I like Rush a lot better than Radiohead. I just can't get into them, but if you don't like Rush that's cool. It's your opinion. I know there are a lot of Radiohead fans out there who live and die for the band, so we shouldn't be arguing that they aren't good. They are good to a lot of people, just not to me.

Everybody has their own unique musical taste and I just think a lot of people can't take it when a band they loved is hated by another person.

If somebody told me they hated the (fill in the blank), I wouldn't really give it another thought. I might try to plead my case, but all that matters at the end of the day is that I still love the (fill in the blank).
Carlozzi:

I feel the same way ... I changed your "Beatles" to "fill in the blank" but I really don't care if anyone likes or dislikes the same bands/singers that I do.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #69
Flower

Silly Re: Overrated Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

Hepcat -1

Oops wrong thread ...

Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #70
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7

Alright, I'll throw in my $0.02 on the matter of overrated bands. Here we go:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - I know that most everyone in the world loves them, especially here in the south, but I find them to be very boring and not as inventive as others do. I will not take anything away from them musically, all of the guitar players were/are great players as are the rest of the musicians, but the songwriting lacks IMO. I don't like Ronnie Van Zant's voice and I REALLY don't like Johnny's. Some people swear by the new band's live show, but I have seen it and didn't find it to inspiring. They just lazily labored through the old hits and a couple of the new, majorly inferior new songs. They all looked terrible with the exception of the drummer. All that aside, I must say that I do like "Call Me the Breeze" a great deal. I could never hear "Freebird" again and live a very happy life. I just think plenty of other bands that did Southern Rock much better that don't get as much credit.

Rush - They have been done to death on this thread so no offense to those that love them, I just find them to be a bit to pretentious. For one, it is my opinion that Neil Peart, however skillfull and technically proficient he may be, is the definition of overplaying. Also, I don't like his lyrics (I don't agree with the earlier statement about all of his lyrics being sci-fi based for the recrod). I am known amongst friends to really like people with less than pleasing voices (Dylan, Tom Waits, Keith Richards, etc.) but I can't stand to hear Geddy Lee sing.

The Grateful Dead - I love Workinman's Dead and American Beauty a great deal, other than those albums, I have no use for them. I have heard the argument that the live show is the way to go about appreciating them and while I have never seen them live, I have heard plenty of bootlegs and they still don't do it for me. Endless jams that really don't go anywhere IMO. The two albums that I like stray away from the overly long jammy side of them and stick to the good, rootsy side of them. Not a big fan.

Deep Purple - I like a couple of their earlier MK II albums and even like the majority of the "Burn" album with Coverdale, but I think the songwriting got really shabby after that album and don't really find any of it to be very inspiring. IMO, they get way to much credit around here. For me, they were a good band with good tunes at one time that fizzled quickly.

I could go on, but that is enough for now.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #71
Hepcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender44 View Post
am i the only one here that thinks radiohead and rush both suck?
I really wanted to like Rush since it's a Hamilton band and I grew up barely an hour down the road in London - but their music just doesn't do it for me.

Radiohead I don't know. I plan to check out the Pixies and the Eels before Radiohead.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #72
tacobender44
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

Hepcat -1

Oops wrong thread ...

i have no idea why i found that so funny
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote