Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #73
Humble Pie
Philanthropist

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Overrated Bands

Coldplay
Humble Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #74
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Less View Post
what Hollies song did creep steal from???
Supposedly the bridge in Creep apes the chorus of "Air That I Breathe". I've listened to them back to back and there is a similarity, but I doubt anyone would notice it unless it were pointed out. Yorke pointed out that he had copied the vocal line in an interview and the publishers of the Hollies song pounced. If that's plagiarism then every rock song written after 1960 needs to cut a check to Chuck Berry.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #75
CosmicDancer
Ain't No Substitute For Arrogance

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $3124
Give Thanks: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALPRIEST View Post
But The Grateful Dead don't bother me as much as Jimmy Buffett..

My wife's boss likes to go to his shows and get's the Office tickets every summer....

you know you try real hard to get into it and you pray for the CROWD itself to lift your spirits but everytime..no one in our group or around us is listening and only sing along to a couple numbers...

..it's just a summer thing,wear a parrot on your head..drink..eat cheeseburgers..and it don't matter what the man plays...

I stopped going!!

So life is good. Again he has a few good numbers,but if I really have to choose someone "overrated" to keep this thread on topic..I'm gonna have to go with Buffett..

While we don't agree on a lot of bands, I guess we can meet in the middle on the Dead AND Jimmy Buffett. I loathe Jimmy Buffett!!! The one difference between the two of us with him though is that I don't think he has ANY good songs. IMO the guy is nothing more than a novelty act. He has milked the same formula for decades now and for me, it has never been anything but old and tired. My parents are fans of his, as are millions of others, and I just can't understand it. It wouldn't bother me if that son of a son of a gun (substitute for a much harsher word) never made another record and never palyed another show. Overrated for sure.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #76
CosmicDancer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roser View Post
Supposedly the bridge in Creep apes the chorus of "Air That I Breathe". I've listened to them back to back and there is a similarity, but I doubt anyone would notice it unless it were pointed out. Yorke pointed out that he had copied the vocal line in an interview and the publishers of the Hollies song pounced. If that's plagiarism then every rock song written after 1960 needs to cut a check to Chuck Berry.

Interesting. You learn something new every day. Chances are, if Yorke had never mentioned it in the interview, the issue would have never reached that point. Sure, it's similar, but there have been MUCH more blatant rip offs that have gone unnoticed or at least never prosecuted. Very lame cash in on the part of the publishers.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #77
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Quote:
It's a pretty unique melody line IMO..I noticed it right away and though Air That I Breathe...

The Hollies ARE collecting royalties from it to this day...
The song was written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazelwood who were never members of The Hollies so they get the royalties, not The Hollies themselves.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #78
zen
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1095

Quote:
Deep Purple - I like a couple of their earlier MK II albums and even like the majority of the "Burn" album with Coverdale, but I think the songwriting got really shabby after that album and don't really find any of it to be very inspiring.
I'd really like to know what albums you did "explore" after the Burn album where their songwriting got really shabby.

Was it just the last two studio albums in the 70's with Coverdale/Hughes, or was it the reunion albums of the 80's, or the three completely different lineups in the 90's...or even the recent albums with the current lineup?
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #79
CosmicDancer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Quote:
Deep Purple - I like a couple of their earlier MK II albums and even like the majority of the "Burn" album with Coverdale, but I think the songwriting got really shabby after that album and don't really find any of it to be very inspiring.
I'd really like to know what albums you did "explore" after the Burn album where their songwriting got really shabby.

Was it just the last two studio albums in the 70's with Coverdale/Hughes, or was it the reunion albums of the 80's, or the three completely different lineups in the 90's...or even the recent albums with the current lineup?

A guy that I used to work with is a Deep Purple nut and constantly let me borrow Deep Purple albums to try and convert me. He couldn't understand why I didn't like them more. I don't remember every album I borrowed. Those that I remember are:

Stormbringer
Perfect Strangers
The Battle Rages On
and
Purpendicular

There were a couple more, I just don't recall the titles. Nothing against anyone that likes them, I just didn't care for them.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #80
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Quote:
Still a win win both ways..

Yep, Radiohead got a great song and Hammond and Hazelwood got a little extra scratch for their retirement.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #81
MagicRat
Hidin' on the Backstreets

David Bowie, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan
Old 10-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #82
infidel
_.:._

^ Wrong. Wrong. And Wrong.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #83
zen
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1095

Even Bob Dylan would say he was overrated these days.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #84
zeppboy
The Hammer of the Gods

Gameroom cash: $2089
Give Thanks: 6

About the only band I would say are overrated is Nirvana. I like them but it is amazing how people go on about them.
zeppboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #85
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppboy View Post
About the only band I would say are overrated is Nirvana. I like them but it is amazing how people go on about them.
I agree. I love Nirvana but no band could live up to that hype.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #86
rtbuck
Classic Rocker

I really don't like the term "overrated" because if a band has millions of fans backing them & buying albums they must be doing something right. That said...for my own personal tastes in music(which must be wrong because these have a ton of fans)

Jimi Hendrix - sorry, I just never got him.I like a lot of his stuff including this one album I bought in the 70's called 'Midnight Lightning' but I just can't see how he is such a guitar god.I've said it before that I thought(in my opinion) Alvin Lee from 10 Years After totally blew away Hendrix at Woodstock.

Sex Pistols - I always thought the whole Craze was fake & it was just a set up to line the pockets of Malcolm Maclaren(& probably Steve Jones & Paul Cook also). Their hype was definitely bigger than the band who really never played much beyond the club scene in their hey day.

Nirvana - I enjoy their stuff but they were just another hard rockin band with a punk sounding edge.I can listen to a band called the Razzles who released 3 cd's in the early/mid 90's & didn't play much past the NY/Pennsylvania states & get the same thrill out of their music
rtbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #87
jimmy
Classic Rocker

Interesting that you say theres lots of good metal but limited stuff coming from North America.

Granted that I am not the biggest metal fan on the planet, but the metal bands I am into at the minute are mainly North American. Sunn O))), Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Neurosis, Pig Destroyer etc.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #88
Rotherhamkid
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Quote:

Again, I like both bands, but Rush is like the mascot band for nerds around the world so I found this amusing.
Sorry so late but I meant to respond to this. Not sure what area you lived in as we are both from Chicagoland...but I graduated in '83 and "nerds" (not that they are bad people) as a high percentage didn't get into RUSH from where I originally came.

I was even looking through an old year book of mine.

The RUSH fans I remember were all the Hard Rock/Metal types. You now longer hair,flannel shirts, Loop T-shirts, that kind of thing.

I will say that the "music nerd" or "gutar kids" were always into them but that's music/gear/musician geeks and doesn't really count as they are in bands and such.

Most of what would be considered nerds back then were into a whole different thing...or really not into music AT all as they were more concerned with things like Science Fairs, Latin Clubs,Chess Clubs and the like.

I know the jocks never drooled over RUSH or any band for that matter cause they were.... well...Jocks! But they would groove to bands like AC/DC I remember, or whatever top 40 was on the radio at the time. I would see that often.

But even to this day if you check out RUSH in RIO, R30 or whatever, when they show the audience they are a bad ass lookin' bunch and hot chicks also.

I remember in the 80's however around Grace Under Pressure and things, that the audience still had the hard rockers, but actually had females that were more...well...80's looking...with the hair and sweaters and stuff...there seemed to be alot more of a "preppy" crowd with the guys as well.

More side parts,collared shirts ect.

But my heart always lies with the guys and girls that would be attending these shows,walking the school halls during their run up to Moving Pictures and such.

But for a long time now it seems that it's back to that. That epicness that the audince feels and gives back through volume and visually as well.

Just alot of cool rockers.

In the last decade with Metal being so great,and soo many awesome things happening over the waters (not here)...bands like Rush give me more chills than they ever had.

Well, I love Rush and I belong to both the rock crowd and the nerd crowd. I have long hair and the whole denim and leather thing...and yet I love science fiction.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #89
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Quote:
The RUSH fans I remember were all the Hard Rock/Metal types. You now longer hair,flannel shirts, Loop T-shirts, that kind of thing.
Yeah that was me too. Loop shirt . I never thought of myself as a nerd.

We graduated the same year MP. I just know we went to some of the same shows. I had a ticket to see Rush (at the International Amphitheater) sophomore year but I got grounded.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #90
APageMark
Like acid & oil on a madman's face
Pinch Hitter Champion, Find The Suspect Champion, Bombardier Champion, Elite Base Jumping Champion

Gameroom cash: $17288
Give Thanks: 210

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that was me too. Loop shirt . I never thought of myself as a nerd.

We graduated the same year MP. I just know we went to some of the same shows. I had a ticket to see Rush (at the International Amphitheater) sophomore year but I got grounded.
I'm not the only one to have missed a show by being grounded?

I missed VH during the "Women and Children First" tour for being naughty...apparently.
APageMark is offline   Reply With Quote