Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 60's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

60's Discuss your favorite classic rock & pop from the 60's.

Reply
 
Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #19
dwill123
Classic Rocker
 
dwill123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,461

Gameroom cash: $6041
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 328 Times in 264 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
The Doors did some 'catchy' tunes but were not great musicians...imo.

That's an interesting comment. To this day I still consider Ray Manzarek to be one of the better keyboardist in the history of the modern era rock music.

__________________
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
dwill123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #20
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker
 
Marshall Stack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,119

Gameroom cash: $11427
Give Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 846 Times in 662 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Yeah, I think the 'Ray thing' made the sound and vibe that was The Doors... just how competent they all were as musicians - I don't know.... it mainly boils down to whether I like their songs or not. If I had to grab a record from a burning building... I'd let Jim's stuff melt.
Marshall Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #21
dr wu
Dr Prog
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana , US
Posts: 1,591

My Mood:


Gameroom cash: $7878
Give Thanks: 247
Thanked 390 Times in 299 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

A great keyboard player as compared to ,Emerson, Wakeman, Tony Banks, Hancock, Corea, Winwood, Nicky Hopkins....etc...he's not that close to any of them imo.
I do agree that his Gibson G 101 'farfisa' sound did give a distinct sound to the Doors and his melodies and song writing helped make that band what it was.

https://recordhead.biz/10-best-keybo...s-of-all-time/
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_keyboard.html (he did come in at 4 on this list but imho many are far better players than him but didn't do radio friendly pop to reach audiences.
https://www.aimm.edu/blog/greatest-k...ts-of-all-time
https://ledgernote.com/blog/interest...-in-the-world/ (made 6 on this list)
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #22
dr wu
Dr Prog
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana , US
Posts: 1,591

My Mood:


Gameroom cash: $7878
Give Thanks: 247
Thanked 390 Times in 299 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Stack View Post
Yeah, I think the 'Ray thing' made the sound and vibe that was The Doors... just how competent they all were as musicians - I don't know.... it mainly boils down to whether I like their songs or not. If I had to grab a record from a burning building... I'd let Jim's stuff melt.
Jim...? You mean Morrison..?
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #23
dr wu
Dr Prog
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana , US
Posts: 1,591

My Mood:


Gameroom cash: $7878
Give Thanks: 247
Thanked 390 Times in 299 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill123 View Post
That's an interesting comment. To this day I still consider Ray Manzarek to be one of the better keyboardist in the history of the modern era rock music.

And compare that to the work Emerson and Wakeman and others did around the same time frame.....
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #24
dwill123
Classic Rocker
 
dwill123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,461

Gameroom cash: $6041
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 328 Times in 264 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
And compare that to the work Emerson and Wakeman and others did around the same time frame.....
Many do but I cannot really compare Emerson and/or Wakeman to Ray Manzarek. Manzarek (to me) belongs in the early 'classic rock' era. Emerson or Wakeman I would place in the early 'progressive rock' or even early 'jazz rock' period. I would consider it to comparing apples to oranges (both fruit but not the same). A better comparison for Emerson or Wakeman might be Chick Corea and/or Brian Auger.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
dwill123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #25
Foxhound
Classic Rocker
 
Foxhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: French Quarter, New Orléans
Posts: 9,661

Gameroom cash: $43460
Give Thanks: 675
Thanked 446 Times in 395 Posts
Question Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
And compare that to the work Emerson and Wakeman and others did around the same time frame.....

Did though Emerson or Wakeman ever lay down as timeless a riff as the one Ray Manzarek did for Light My Fire and in so doing set the bar higher for rock music?

__________________
The top rock 'n roll animal on this side of the tracks!

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #26
dr wu
Dr Prog
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana , US
Posts: 1,591

My Mood:


Gameroom cash: $7878
Give Thanks: 247
Thanked 390 Times in 299 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Did though Emerson or Wakeman ever lay down as timeless a riff as the one Ray Manzarek did for Light My Fire and in so doing set the bar higher for rock music?

I believer there are number of 'timeless' riffs on both early ELP and Yes lp's, but they were not on the top 40 so unless one was a prog and lp fan in general they were not heard. If 'Light My Fire' had not been released as a single and The Doors were not as commercial would it have had the same impact...? Tough one to answer imo.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #27
Foxhound
Classic Rocker
 
Foxhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: French Quarter, New Orléans
Posts: 9,661

Gameroom cash: $43460
Give Thanks: 675
Thanked 446 Times in 395 Posts
Exclamation Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
I believer there are number of 'timeless' riffs on both early ELP and Yes lp's, but they were not on the top 40 so unless one was a prog and lp fan in general they were not heard. If 'Light My Fire' had not been released as a single and The Doors were not as commercial would it have had the same impact...?
But commercial impact is of key importance! Music is composed to be heard, and without the commercial impact it doesn't have the influence.

Truthfully I think you're making the mistake of equating quality with complexity. But music absolutely does not have to be complex to be good. There's no such correlation.

And I'm speaking as a big fan of Keith Emerson as well as Ray Manzarek different though they were.

__________________
The top rock 'n roll animal on this side of the tracks!

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:21 PM   #28
dr wu
Dr Prog
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana , US
Posts: 1,591

My Mood:


Gameroom cash: $7878
Give Thanks: 247
Thanked 390 Times in 299 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
But commercial impact is of key importance! Music is composed to be heard, and without the commercial impact it doesn't have the influence.

Truthfully I think you're making the mistake of equating quality with complexity. But music absolutely does not have to be complex to be good. There's no such correlation.

And I'm speaking as a big fan of Keith Emerson as well as Ray Manzarek different though they were.

This is where we disagree and the nub of the issue....commercial impact is not of 'key importance'...unless one is only interested in making big bucks and any true musician will tell you that. And many..I would argue perhaps most influence (at least in the beginning days) came from musicians who were not publicly nor commercially successful at least in the early days.
Quality does not have to be complex...that's right , but that was never my point...which was that Manzarek is a solid keyboard player but not a 'great one'. And as always this is subjective to the listening public.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:48 PM   #29
Foxhound
Classic Rocker
 
Foxhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: French Quarter, New Orléans
Posts: 9,661

Gameroom cash: $43460
Give Thanks: 675
Thanked 446 Times in 395 Posts
Exclamation Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
...but that was never my point...which was that Manzarek is a solid keyboard player but not a 'great one'. And as always this is subjective to the listening public.
Fair enough, but Manzarek has always sounded really good to me.

__________________
The top rock 'n roll animal on this side of the tracks!

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #30
dr wu
Dr Prog
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana , US
Posts: 1,591

My Mood:


Gameroom cash: $7878
Give Thanks: 247
Thanked 390 Times in 299 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Fair enough, but Manzarek has always sounded really good to me.

My favorite keys from him...by far...perhaps my favorite Doors track.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:26 AM   #31
Tkitna
Classic Rocker
 
Tkitna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3,532

Gameroom cash: $3132
Give Thanks: 9
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Beatles werent great musicians either, but they did alright for themselves.

It doesnt matter how technically good people are. If the package works, it trumps being a virtuoso.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

Tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:24 AM   #32
Foxhound
Classic Rocker
 
Foxhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: French Quarter, New Orléans
Posts: 9,661

Gameroom cash: $43460
Give Thanks: 675
Thanked 446 Times in 395 Posts
Exclamation Re: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkitna View Post
It doesnt matter how technically good people are. If the package works, it trumps being a virtuoso.
Truth!

__________________
The top rock 'n roll animal on this side of the tracks!

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted by: F5 / MVH Internet Services
Copyright ©2005-2018, CRF2.com