Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > 00's
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

00's Discuss today's best new music.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 AM   #1
MusicLover7
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $61142
Give Thanks: 472
Moby Explains Why Music Today is Shit

Moby had one of those “old guy conversations” with Bill Maher this week and they discussed why music today is pretty ordinary.

“I’ve got Spotify on my phone and when I first got it I thought I would hear all this new music but immediately I began using it as my nostalgia machine,” Moby told Maher. “Spotify is basically my high school playlist. My musical tastes end around 1984. Modern music might be great but it can’t complete with The Clash or Public Enemy or John Lennon or Neil Young, on and on and on.”

https://www.noise11.com/news/moby-ex...9f8a-302566781
MusicLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to MusicLover7:
Old 05-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $22979
Give Thanks: 201
Music Note Re: Moby Explains Why Music Today is Shit

Here's a Youtube clip elaborating on the same thesis:

The fellow argues that there's been a dramatic increase in homogenization/sameness of pop music these days across both specific artists' catalogues as well as across artists. There's been a dramatic decrease in timbral diversity in pop music over the last fifty+ years. Moreover present day pop hits all tend to feature the "millennial whoop" sound pattern which is not at all surprising since the majority of pop hits these days are written by one of two fellows, Max Martin or Lukasz Gottwald.

Last edited by Foxhound : 02-11-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $22979
Give Thanks: 201
Music Note Re: Moby Explains Why Music Today is Shit

Here's another very good article about the music that dominates hit charts these days:

Is Pop Music Fake? - The New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Yorker
Almost all the music you hear on Top Forty radio these days is made on machines. You may hear a real guitar once in a while, but an actual drum sound is pretty rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Yorker
But was it just the whiskey talking, or was Grohl onto something? The gist of the backlash against his comments was that in extolling the playing of an instrument over the programming of a computer, Grohl was privileging rock over dance, electronica, and hip-hop.
Interesting that sneering at recordings done by computers is seen by some as politically incorrect these days. And expecting groups to play their own instruments is somehow "elitist" and "hurtful" to certain groups.

Another one:

Yup, it really does all sound the same.

And a quickie:

Science Proves: Pop Music Has Actually Gotten Worse - Smithsonian.com

A quick executive summary:

The video and articles address the increasing homogenization/sameness of pop music these days across both many artists' individual catalogues as well as across artists. Modern pop music all sounds the same (awful) because of lack of variety in four ways:

1. Tonal/frequency range. There's been a dramatic decrease in timbral diversity in pop music over the last fifty+ years meaning there's not as much range these days between the highest and the lowest notes in pop hit recordings.

2. Lack of dynamic range. It's all LOUD, as opposed to soft, soft, LOUD or soft, soft, soft, LOUD. This phenomenon has come to be termed the "Loudness Wars". And these loudness wars have also decreased the tonal range of pre-existing recordings because in order to get extra loudness throughout an entire recorded piece, the tonal range must be concentrated/compressed into the mid range frequencies. The way this is done is by clipping the extreme high and low notes from the recording. That's right, notes are clipped from recordings and presto, we're left with a LOUD but lossy recording.

3. Drummers with as wide a variety of drum beats and styles as the human imagination permits have been replaced in recording studios by drum machines operated by recording engineers. Sorry, but if you rely on the imagination of recording engineers, variety is the last thing you're going to get.

4. Present day pop hits all tend to feature the "millennial whoop" chord structure, i.e. sound pattern. This is not at all surprising since at the time these articles were written, the majority of pop hits were being composed by one of two fellows, Max Martin or Lukasz Gottwald.

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote