Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $24258
Give Thanks: 213
Exclamation WOWW Radio!

A sleek red pelted figure with pointy ears and long whiskers slinks through the narrow streets and even narrower back alleyways of the French Quarter. A closer look reveals rivulets of sauce running down both sides of his muzzle:

"Mmmmmm, this Acme oyster po-boy is scrumptious! Never a bad sandwich at the Acme Oyster House.

Ahhhhh, there's the old boarded up studio of WOWW Radio!

I remember when we were rocking out from those studios back in the early years of this century! We were dominating the rating charts right across southern Louisiana to the Texas border and well up past Bâton Rouge in the north and all the way across Mississippi and Alabama to Pensacola in Florida! It was me, Hazeleyes and that flea-infested feline Hepcat spinning the discs. Dwight let us do our own play lists and we used to really rock. Oh man, good times!

But WOWW got caught up in the collapse of Dwight's business empire. There were some sort of behind the scene machinations to which I wasn't privy. I always assumed they were of a temporary nature, but the studio doors stayed locked and the FCC eventually suspended WOWW's licence. Hazeleyes was lucky enough to blow the Big Easy well before Hurricane Katrina caused the levee to break. Last I heard she was up north somewhere and calling herself Flower. Women are like that, always changing their names. I don't know where the flea-bitten feline is but good riddance. Dumpster diving someplace I'm sure. Me of course I'm still hustling on the streets here in the French Quarter. I'm scratching out a living selling love beads and luring Japanese tourists into peep shows. Sad though seeing a padlock still on the door to the WOWW studios.

Of course I never needed to use the front door anyway. I wonder whether they ever boarded up the big crack in the brickwork by the delivery bay out back? No, they did not! Well, heeee, heeee, I'll have me a look-see inside, yes I will!

Cool! The stereo and broadcast equipment is all still here! More than a bit dusty but then so am I. It's been seventeen or so years.

I wonder if any of the records are still here though? I'll look into the library, and hey, they're all still here in the library! Wow!

I wonder if the stereo still works though? I'll just flick the ON switch on the Marantz amp and, hmmmm, nothing. Oh, be a good idea to plug the cord back into the wall socket, wouldn't it? And hey, the ON light works!

Oh man, now let's see if my old favourite turntable, the Garrard Z2000B still works:

Yes! They certainly don't make turntables the way they used to these days! But I should clean up the equipment a bit. Let me see, Hazeleyes kept cleaning supplies in her bottom drawer, and yes, there's the Pledge and the Windex! I'll just take a few minutes to do some dusting and polishing.

And now, I'll spin some wax! Well, maybe not yet. These records could use a bit of cleaning themselves but I think it's just surface dust. No problem. Our Nitty Gritty Mini Pro record cleaning machine is still right there beside the turntable:

So now, let's check how the old stereo sounds:

Wow, fabulous! This is the life, spinning classic discs while sitting in my comfy La-Z-Boy recliner here by my old desk. Hmmmm. Let me see, I wonder if I left any Dubble Bubble in my drawer here.... Hey, the playlists on which I was working are still here! Well, well, well, I wonder if I can get the broadcast equipment to work. Let's see, there's the power cord, I'll plug it into the wall socket, flick the ON switch and ... nothing.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if any of the connections are broken. Where's the diagnostic instrument machine? Ahhhh, there, right on the shelf where Dwight insisted it be kept. I'll just plug it in, and, oh there's the problem! A loose connection, and whoops, two of the circuit boards of the transmitter need replacing. Hmmmm, clamps to fix the connections I can get at even Ace Hardware but for the circuit boards I'll need to go to the Lafayette Radio & Electronics store on Canal Street."

Last edited by Foxhound : 03-02-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Re: WOWW Radio!

"Oh, zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!
What a wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

Yes, yes, great score indeed at Lafayette Radio! Not only did they have the right circuit boards, they were being sold off at blow-out prices as discontinued stock! So I bought a bunch of spares as well!

Before I mussel up my sleeves though and get down to work, I'll eat my brisket sandwich here from the Ugly Dog Saloon & BBQ:

Chomp, slurp, eat, gobble, mmmmmm, delicious! Can't beat the Ugly Dog Saloon for BBQ in the Factory District, no sir!

Well, I don't see how fixing up this transmitter can be any kind of a challenge for a sly old fox like me. Can't possibly compare to the trouble it took me to connect up my newfangled SACD player to my Sansui QA-7000 Quadraphonic amp without disconnecting my Quad 8-track player:

Let's see, pull the plug (always key), take this board out, slide this new one in, take that board out, slide this new one in, clamp these wires together, and flick the ON switch. Huh, nothing?! What the hell? Calisse de tabernac!

Oh, heh, heh, I forgot to stick the plug back into the socket. There! All lit up like a Xmas tree, yes indeed!

Now, let's get a look at those play lists from way back when. Hmmmmm, good stuff, but they're much too long. My show's got to be short and sweet. If I stay on the air too long, the FCC (lazy government bureaucrats though they be) might catch on that I'm operating a pirate radio station out of the old WOWW studios. Ahhhhh, here's a good one of garage rock classics from which I can choose a few tunes. The records are all still nicely filed in the library which Hazeleyes kept very well organized indeed even though the dastardly feline kept leaving records all over the place.

I'll have to make my opening show really good though if I want to line up sponsors. I'm going to need some to pay the bills. DJs have to eat too you know!"

"Hey, hey, hey, are you listeners out there in radio land ready to rock? Well then this is your friendly neighbourhood baltic fox, and I've got the goods! Yes, that's right, it's me, Foxhound, the doctor of style in the Big Easy, and we're back on the air here at WOWW Radio where we play all the hits and nothing but the hits! So strap on your dancing shoes and drool cups and get ready to rock!

That's it for today! Be sure to tune in tomorrow, same time (well sort of), same station!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 02-19-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Music Note Re: WOWW Radio!

"Mmmmmm, horf, slobber, drool, eat, nothing better than chicken, shrimp and andouille sausage jambalaya from the neighbourhood diner!

You can pay more, much more, but you'll not get much better! Well, now that I've fortified myself with a good meal, it's time to spin some wax."

"Hey, hey, hey, music lovers, are you ready to rock this afternoon? Well then you've come to the right spot on the dial because I'm Doctor Foxhound and this is WOWW Radio and we deliver the rock! And I've put together a great selection of psychedelic blues today that will rock your socks off!

That's it for today. Tune in again tomorrow for the best in rock entertainment on either side of the Mississippi!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 02-19-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Exclamation Re: WOWW Radio!

"Mmmmmm, a big bucket of fried chicken on a crisp February morning sure be tough to beat!

And a very nice young lady indeed was the delivery girl today. She said the kitchen staff were all big fans of my show!

Lick my fingers first and now it's time to rock!"

"Hey, hey, hey! How you all be this crisp February morning out there in radio land? Are you ready to rock? Well you've come to the right spot on the dial because we here at WOWW Radio always deliver the goods! (Just like those very nice delivery girls from Chicken Delight, heh, heh.) And this is Doctor Foxhound, your godfather of style coming to you from the French Quarter! Oui, c'est ça! And have I ever got got a great show for you today! I call it "Punk till you puke!" all over your rap loving neighbour's brand new Air Jordans hopefully!

So keep those comments coming! Have a favourite show? Got a request? Death threat? Cards, letters, PMs, they're all welcome! We at WOWW Radio aim to please (just like those good delivery people at Chicken Delight)."

Last edited by Foxhound : 02-19-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:55 PM   #5
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Man, what a day! My very favourite event in this fair city's social calendar, the Mardi Gras Dog Parade, got underway at 2:00 PM this afternoon:

The Mystic Krewe of Barkus

Way back in the 1990's I was going to participate myself but then some ignorant lout tried to put a collar and leash on me! 'Uh, uh, not for me' I said. But to each his own, and the parade is great fun to watch.

Tail-wagging merriment continued on in the streets of the French Quarter well into the evening! I can't even count how many cans of Pepsi I quaffed. I lost track after six, but I was left with such a sugar rush that I just had to get back to the studio to do another show!"

"This is Foxhound, the doctor of all that's hip in the Crescent City, coming to you live on WOWW Radio, the station with the mostest!

So how many of you listeners took in the Mardi Gras Dog Parade put on by the Mystic Krewe of Barkus this afternoon? Raise your hands so I can see you! We foxes have very keen eyesight. Good, good, just about all of you!

I've got a special show for all you listeners this evening. I call it 'Psychedelic Sunday'!

Be sure to tune into WOWW again tomorrow for the best in rock entertainment on the dial!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 05-01-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Well no parades today so I'll just get right onto my show."

"How many of you listeners out there in radioland cotton to Brits? You know, those nasty foreigners from across the pond who so cruelly mistreated Evangeline and the rest of our noble ancestors here in Louisiana? And then invaded our fair shores where they were soundly trounced by the defenders of our fair city led by General Andrew Jackson on 8 January 1815 at the Battle of New Orléans?

But we here at WOWW Radio refuse to bow to the forces of political correctness. We dare to go where no radio station has gone before. Here then I Lord Foxhound have gathered up the scattered remnants of the original British Invasion and I present to you the second (well who's counting?) British Invasion of the Crescent City!

That then is it for today. Tune in again tomorrow!"

Last edited by Foxhound : 02-19-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #7
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"I thought the Ortofon 2m Black Cartridge with which WOWW's Garrard Z2000B turntable is equipped might be getting somewhat worn so I took a hard gander at it with my trusty magnifying glass and yes, signs of wear were definitely visible.

Well since we here at WOWW are committed to providing our listeners with the best in music entertainment, I decided to head out to Wilson Audio in Metairie this afternoon to get a replacement. Well that's when I got a nasty shock, $576 for just the stylus! Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, it's a cutting edge Shibata line stylus that reaches deeper into the grooves thus bypassing pre-existing wear from lesser stylii; that's why I bought the Ortofon 2m Black back then. But still, $576!

The installation though should be child's play anyway. Just slide out the old one, and slide in the new one..... There, done! Now for a listening test:

Mmmmmm, oh yeah! That's fabulous! What a great sound.

And speaking of fabulous, I see a delivery van from Big Fisherman Seafood pulling up outside. Must be the pot of crawfish boil I ordered for a late evening snack:

Mmmmmm, hot and spicy, just the way I like it! And they don't scrimp on quantity at Big Fisherman's either. Should be lots of leftover scraps for old Roscoe. I know he's a big seafood fan."

Old 02-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"It's a cloudy 77 degrees here in the French Quarter today and we might be getting a little rain later this afternoon. But here on WOWW the hits just keep on raining regardless of the weather outside! And this is your main man, your rave fave, Foxhound and I've got a great program of Soul Classics for all you listeners out there in radio land today!

So tune in again tomorrow if you gotta rock! And we all gotta rock some everyday if I do say so myself."

"Oh, hey, my BBQ ribs have arrived!

I ordered up a half dozen racks from the VooDoo BBQ & Grill on St. Charles Avenue:

I'm sure my old buddy from the bayou Roscoe will be pleased with whatever's leftover. He's very easy to please when it comes to leftover table scraps."

Last edited by Foxhound : 02-19-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Well it's 72 degrees under mostly cloudy skies here in New Orléans this afternoon, but we here at WOWW are committed to bringing you the finest in musical entertainment regardless of the weather. And I, Doctor Foxhound, the godfather of all that's cool, am happy to serve as the ever so humble instrument of this station's prime objective.

I have however been hearing angry rumblings out on the street that we've not been doing enough here at WOWW to promote local content. Being always willing to respond to listener demands, I've prepared a special show today featuring the recordings of local musicians:

Mmmmmm, love me some of that zydeco! Well that's it for today. Tune in again tomorrow for the very best in classic rock entertainment!"

"And speaking of loving, I see the delivery of my bacon, ham, mushroom and onion deep-dish pizzas from Midway Pizza over on Freret Street has arrived.

Roscoe will be very happy with the leftovers tonight, that's for sure!"

Old 02-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"We here at WOWW Radio are saddened to report that a woman was struck and killed by a Krewe of Nyx parade float at around 9:00 PM yesterday at the corner of Magazine and Valence Streets just a few blocks from the start of the parade. She may have been reaching for beads.

For those of you outside of New Orléans who might not be aware of the Mystic Krewe of Nyx, it's an all female krewe which set a record in 2019 for the biggest Mardi Gras parade of all time as measured by the number of riders.

My heartfelt sympathies to all concerned.

I myself took in the Krewe of Druids parade and then called it an early night (bit too much pizza perhaps) so I wasn't aware of the fatal accident later in the evening. I'll be attending and reporting on the Krewe of Muses parade Uptown tomorrow afternoon but I urge listeners to stay safe and well back of the street at whichever parade you attend. The beads simply aren't worth it."

Old 02-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Mmmmmm, just got these corn dogs from the food truck over by Jackson Square:

Mighty fine eating them corn dogs! And old Roscoe will like what's left over, that's for sure.

I've been bummed out all day after hearing about the fatality at last night's parade but the show must go on."

"Good evening all you listeners out there in radio land! This is your rave fave Professor Foxhound on WOWW Radio and I've decided to parade out some belles for you my loyal listeners tonight. So without further ado, here for your listening pleasure are the girls!

Well that's it for tonight! Tune in again tomorrow."

Old 02-22-2020, 12:03 AM   #12
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Man, what a day! This is a very tired Professor Foxhound on WOWW Radio late this Friday evening after a day of parading and carousing Uptown along St. Charles Avenue here in New Orléans. Let's see, there was the Krewe of Muses, Knights of Babylon, Krewe of Hermes, Krewe d'Etat and the Krewe of Morpheus.

Since I'm all tuckered out, I'll keep it short and sweet this evening. Here are a few of my favourite tunes with prominent harmonica parts:

That's it for tonight! Tune in again tomorrow."

Old 02-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #13
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"This is Foxhound coming to you on WOWW Radio. I'm saddened to have to report that for the second time this week a spectator has been struck and killed today by a parade float. This occurred during the very popular Krewe of Endymion parade that begins up at City Park, winds through Mid-City New Orléans and ends up at the Convention Center.

Part of the problem has been that parade viewers surging forward to catch throws can push other parade goers into the path of floats. The problem has been compounded by a single tractor or truck being used to tow two or three float sections in tandem which makes it more difficult for the drivers of tandem floats to be aware of and respond immediately to collisions or other incidents behind them. Tandem floats will accordingly no longer be allowed in future years.

Once again, by all means keep coming out to the parades. But play safe. The beads aren't worth taking any risks.

Sorry to be so downbeat, but these deaths have cast a pall upon our customary good cheer here at WOWW.

But tune in again tomorrow for a special show on the Fab Four!"

Old 02-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Still I better not forget old Roscoe downstairs at the reception desk. We'll make do with the Family Feast from Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen tonight."

Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #15
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Mmmmmm, I sure nuff be getting my fill of that King Cake from Randazzo's, Croissant d"or Patisserie and every other bakery in this here town these last few weeks:

This newfangled one from Randazzo's with lemon added to the traditional cinammon and pecan fillings may be my favourite right now!

And with Roscoe around and about I certainly don't have to worry about any leftover pieces getting stale!"

Old 02-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #16
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Yip, yip, yip, arrrooooowww! This is your rave fave, Professor Foxhound, coming to you live on WOWW Radio! And what a day it's been for Mardi Gras parades Uptown along St. Charles! Let's see, there was the Krewe of Okeanos, Krewe of Mid-City, Krewe of Thoth, Knights of Chaos and finally the huge parade of the Krewe of Bacchus.

Man, what parades, what a spectacle! A good time was had by all.

Now we here at WOWW have been getting a lot of hate mail from Beatles' fans ever since I aired my British Invasion show with nary a nod to the Beatles not to mention the death threats from aggrieved Brits chaffing at my mention of General Andrew Jackson's victory over the British invasion force at the Battle of New Orléans. Well I'm neither able nor willing to change that bit of history, but the reason I excluded the Beatles from my British Invasion show was that I was working on a show dedicated to the Beatles and only the Beatles! So without further ado, here are the Beatles!

That's it for today! Tune in for another great show tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Hey, my maple syrup delivery from Nova Scotia just arrived!

Excellent! Right on time for Fat Tuesday tomorrow.

I still go for Acadian products when I can get them. After all, my great (to whatever power) grandfather came to Louisiana as a kit with Evangeline during the expulsion of the Acadians circa 1760. So devoted was he to his kind and gentle mistress that he refused to leave her side as she and her family were cruelly expelled by the British from the shores of their native land.

But had it happened otherwise I wouldn't be here today! Well since I'm here, I might as well do my show."

"Yip, yip, arrrooooowww! This is your doctor of style, Professor Foxhound, on WOWW Radio bringing you the hits and nothing but the hits! So yesterday I brought you the Beatles. Well then to forestall a storm of angry protest from Rolling Stones' fans, here today are the Stones!

Hey, there's good reason why the Stones are still called the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band! Tune in again tomorrow. More surprises are in store for you my loyal listeners!"

Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #18
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

"Lord Foxhound here on WOWW Radio again this evening! So it was the Krewe of Proteus:

And the Krewe of Orpheus parading Uptown along St. Charles earlier this evening:

Man, and did they ever put on some kind of spectacle! I keep wondering though what might happen if they took a wrong turn somewhere and wandered into each other?

So tomorrow is Fat Tuesday and the end of Mardi Gras and as such there's going to be parades all over the place. Let's see, there's going to be the Krewe of Argus over in Metairie, the Krewe of Zulu and then the Krewe of Rex Uptown, well too many to name! So come on out and party!

And be sure to tune into WOWW again tomorrow"

"Ahhhhhh, here's the cauldron of gumbo I ordered up from Coop's Place on Decatur Street:

That should be just enough to carry old Roscoe and me over until tomorrow."

Last edited by Foxhound : 03-10-2020 at 02:26 PM.