Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: No Downloading = Record Company Success?
Yes 10 32.26%
No 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
elias75
Classic Rocker
 
elias75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ...in dreamland
Posts: 134
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

I have been studying the music business at Uni (1995-2000) and have done quite a lot of research on various sub-topics. Also I have been working for record labels here in Greece for about seven years (both in majors and independents).... Don't get me wrong but I only want to highlight the fact that I have seen some 'insight' facts about this. When I start working with Warner Music Greece we were at about 80 employees in a 3-floor building. When I got fired, another 52 employees lost their job too and the whole company was packed in 5 small offices on the first floor (of the same building). It was the time when digital downloading became popular and sales dropped BIG TIME. My previous job was with EMI Greece.... my friend who still works with them at the Marketing department had his last salary rise 5 years ago and just recently told me that more people got fired and that sales never been so low before...

I totally agree that record labels have been very greedy in the past. Also I will never stop collecting vinyls & cds expanding my collection with all sorts of little 'diamonds' as I see it... I don't even know how an ipod works! Like you, I have a dodgy fetish with the psychical product...(and I love it) :) the thing is that we are the minority of music lovers. I have friends with massive collections who have stopped buying music since ages ago! They simply download everything. Unfortunately, the vast majority of music buyers has stopped buying music, especially the younger generations, they take it for granted that music is just a few clicks away and it is free...

As I see it, and to make a long story short, downloading & illegal file sharing is killing the music business... not the music itself but the business of music and transforming it to something else... something more like an advertising company. In the past artists were developed to sell cds, in the (near) future they will be developed to sell everything else!
elias75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #20
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion
 
hightea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swimming with the Fishes
Posts: 6,433

Gameroom cash: $1439
Give Thanks: 6
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias75 View Post
I have been studying the music business at Uni (1995-2000) and have done quite a lot of research on various sub-topics. Also I have been working for record labels here in Greece for about seven years (both in majors and independents).... Don't get me wrong but I only want to highlight the fact that I have seen some 'insight' facts about this. When I start working with Warner Music Greece we were at about 80 employees in a 3-floor building. When I got fired, another 52 employees lost their job too and the whole company was packed in 5 small offices on the first floor (of the same building). It was the time when digital downloading became popular and sales dropped BIG TIME. My previous job was with EMI Greece.... my friend who still works with them at the Marketing department had his last salary rise 5 years ago and just recently told me that more people got fired and that sales never been so low before...

I totally agree that record labels have been very greedy in the past. Also I will never stop collecting vinyls & cds expanding my collection with all sorts of little 'diamonds' as I see it... I don't even know how an ipod works! Like you, I have a dodgy fetish with the psychical product...(and I love it) :) the thing is that we are the minority of music lovers. I have friends with massive collections who have stopped buying music since ages ago! They simply download everything. Unfortunately, the vast majority of music buyers has stopped buying music, especially the younger generations, they take it for granted that music is just a few clicks away and it is free...

As I see it, and to make a long story short, downloading & illegal file sharing is killing the music business... not the music itself but the business of music and transforming it to something else... something more like an advertising company. In the past artists were developed to sell cds, in the (near) future they will be developed to sell everything else!
well you know industies change why should the music industry business be any different. My job has changed over the past 20 years several times. Back in the day, it took us ten times more time to do what we can do today. The hard part was when do you tell your clients you can reduce their bill because its cheaper now. Do I rip them off for a few years or reduce that bill immediately? We are always a year behind so we don't even realize that its cheaper for about a year. We lost clients over the years, discounted others and changed to different areas to make it up.

I'm sick of the music industry telling me they are having a hard time. They lived high on the hog for decades and then boom they didn't change and the industry did. If people aren't going to come back to buying records that they can get for free(illegally or not) then change with the times and figure a way to make it work. They got caught with their pants down and instead of figuring it out just complain. Several indie labels seem to be doing okay so obviously there is a model out there that is working.
__________________
Top Photos of 2016

Top Concert Pictures of 2016



CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #21
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass
 
Phantastico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,521
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias75 View Post
In the past artists were developed to sell cds, in the (near) future they will be developed to sell everything else!
In the future, artists will be developed to sell everything else IF they choose to become slaves to the labels. With the Internet and advanced technology, artists can take the DIY approach by eliminating the middle men, integrating new revenue streams (which may or may not be be used to sell other products), owning and controlling their music and likeness, and keeping ALL the profits.

As for employees of record labels? Well, they can utilize their skill set in other profitable aspects of the music business (remember, the record industry is only one segment of the music business) or seek out careers in new areas, such environmental and green jobs.
__________________
Phantastico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
elias75
Classic Rocker
 
elias75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ...in dreamland
Posts: 134
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
I'm sick of the music industry telling me they are having a hard time. They lived high on the hog for decades and then boom they didn't change and the industry did. If people aren't going to come back to buying records that they can get for free(illegally or not) then change with the times and figure a way to make it work. They got caught with their pants down and instead of figuring it out just complain. Several indie labels seem to be doing okay so obviously there is a model out there that is working.
It is indeed a hard time and believe me it is not easy to figure out something that works well and keeps everyone (artists, fans, labels) happy. The creation and the marketing of records and CDs involve a wide spectrum of different employees, not necessarily directly involved in the music business: graphic artists, factory employees, printing plants employees, couriers etc.... As I see it a good way for labels is to release only vinyl! Yes high quality vinyl that is value for money! Some indie labels are doing ok, true... I have also worked for some time for an indie label (Black Lotus Records) and we survived a bit more just because our product was highly specialized to a particular fragment of the audience.... but see how many indie labels are in the business today and check them again next year if they are still around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantastico View Post
As for employees of record labels? Well, they can utilize their skill set in other profitable aspects of the music business (remember, the record industry is only one segment of the music business) or seek out careers in new areas, such environmental and green jobs.
The worst thing it can happen to a person is to loose the job that he is trained to do and has some experience with it.... and being in a state that there is absolutely no way to find something similar... It is like starting from scratch all over again.... this is what happened to me. I guess if I was living in another country like the US or the UK I might have been more lucky jobwise but unfortunately this is not the case
elias75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass
 
Phantastico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,521
Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantastico View Post
As for employees of record labels? Well, they can utilize their skill set in other profitable aspects of the music business (remember, the record industry is only one segment of the music business) or seek out careers in new areas, such environmental and green jobs.
The worst thing it can happen to a person is to loose the job that he is trained to do and has some experience with it.... and being in a state that there is absolutely no way to find something similar... It is like starting from scratch all over again.... this is what happened to me. I guess if I was living in another country like the US or the UK I might have been more lucky jobwise but unfortunately this is not the case
Although I've never worked for a record label, I have worked with record labels. From where I'm sitting, many of the skills utilized in many apsects of the recording biz are transferable to other industries.

BTW, I'm not trying to be harsh, but it's not uncommon for people to have two or three different careers in their lifetime. In today's competitive marketplace, one has to be prepared for all eventualities.
__________________
Phantastico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #24
JohnDMcClane
John Noir Smith
 
JohnDMcClane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,051

My Mood:

Give Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

I voted "Yes", because I hear of all these people who love Metallica, but they don't care to get a single CD or legal download by them, they all download their whole discography through File Sharing networks.

Me myself though is a steady CD buyer, who's got over 300 CDs now (and probably 100 vinyls)
__________________
Last.fm profile



I'm just here for the peanuts.

JohnDMcClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
Lynch
 
Posts: n/a
Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Here's something else that the greedy pigs in the music industry are completely ignoring (at least up front they are), is that the economy is crummy and has been for a few years. Times are tough all over and this hits nearly every industry out there. Why wouldn't the music industry sales be down, regardless of "illegal downloading". People aren't buying cds because they aren't buying movies, video games, clothes, toys, furniture, cars, etc the way that they used to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #26
Foxhound
Classic Rocker
 
Foxhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: French Quarter, New Orléans
Posts: 8,039

Gameroom cash: $35721
Give Thanks: 316
Thanked 159 Times in 142 Posts
Exclamation Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerbird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
nope the record companies still think the music business is all about a mega hit. The music business has changed too many genres and tastes. If they can't learn how to make money with smaller bands then they will continue to fail-downloads or no downloads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender44 View Post
i agree, music today is more driven on the hit single and if downloading is contained then people will just try and record the song off the radio or have their friend burn them a copy of a few hit mega singles or find alternative ways to obtain that hit single and only that single
i agree with Hightea and Taco...record companies are taking the wrong approach...theyre not trying to promote the new creative bands...they are pushing the hit single or promoting copycat or manufactured bands...if they thought about patiently supporting a lot of the great new bands out there, they would reap strong long term profits
Given that Hightea and Tacobender intrinsically disagree, your statement makes no sense whatsoever. You're essentially disagreeing with Tacobender.



Incidentally I voted "Yes". People download music so that they don't have to pay for it which hurts record companies' sales and profits. It's as simple as that. The people who like to condemn record companies as "greedy" just want to get music for free though they themselves would be shocked if anyone else asked them to work for nothing.

__________________
The top rock 'n roll animal on this side of the tracks!

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #27
Foxhound
Classic Rocker
 
Foxhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: French Quarter, New Orléans
Posts: 8,039

Gameroom cash: $35721
Give Thanks: 316
Thanked 159 Times in 142 Posts
Exclamation Re: No Downloading = Record Company Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
Here's something else that the greedy pigs in the music industry are completely ignoring (at least up front they are), is that the economy is crummy and has been for a few years.
Excuse me? Are you willing to work for nothing? No? But you're not "greedy", it's everybody else, e.g. record companies, who are greedy because they're unwilling to work for nothing.

Once again, you don't know what you're talking about and are just running off at the mouth.

__________________
The top rock 'n roll animal on this side of the tracks!

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted by: F5 / MVH Internet Services
Copyright ©2005-2018, CRF2.com