Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Why are CDs so expensive these days?

I haven't paid more than $9.99 for a single CD is awhile. Someone else mentioned Best Buy and Amazon...they always have good deals.

Nevertheless, with the losses the record industry has incurred in the last few years, it's not surprising prices haven't come down at other retail outlets. They're apparently scrambling to make profits.

If it's any consolation, a lot of CDs released these days include links to extra downloads, DVDs and other value-added bonuses...
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
ShuffleItAll
Guitar Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuffleItAll View Post
The sad thing is that 15 bucks for a new-ish cd around here would be a good deal. If I could have the US prices on new cd/vinyl without the shipping I'd save a lot of money.
I should add that I don't buy cd's anymore, I only buy vinyl nowadays... I've bought about 7-10 newly released albums on vinyl this year and although they often cost a dollar or so more than the cd it's easily worth it. Sometimes they're even cheaper... I won't buy a vinyl that costs 40 bucks though, no matter how much I want the album...
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #21
tacobender44
Lost

i mean, while i personally don't buy from the places where they sell cds for 15 bucks or so. but there are numerous stores where cds get sold around that price and i think thats what the OP was asking about
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #22
heyjoe
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1904
Give Thanks: 14

I've always bought used and had not a problem whatsoever and
u-cd's are far cheaper now than they ever were (plus there is
a lot of hard-to-find stuff in those bins)

As for pricing on new cd's it seems to have gotten more 'reasonable'
with certain outlets, but overall the mindset is the same as it was
at the outset. A 30x upcharge (a charge most artists see very
little of imoho) that is more ludicrous now than it was in the beginning.

Just my own 50 cents worth ('bout the same as it cost to prod
1 cd )
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #23
Exilemainstreet
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticWalden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilemainstreet View Post
Well actually there is. For every profitable CD, there's five or ten losers. The record company has to recoup the expenses incurred in their loser acts through paying advancements and other costs they'll never recoup, so the big acts subsidize the poor selling acts through high priced CDs.
Keep this attitude and only Kiss and miley Cyrus cds would ever be in print. He's to all the poorly selling acts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying taht that's the prevailing business model. Personally, I bypass the Big Four record companies whenever possible and in fact I was deeply concerned during the record companies suing downloaders era. Let's just say, not a day went by when I didn't talk enthusiastically about grokster. Of course, like Clinton not inhaling, I may have "experimented" with downloading but I didn't listen.
Exilemainstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #24
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8268
Give Thanks: 60

Quote:
i mean, while i personally don't buy from the places where they sell cds for 15 bucks or so. but there are numerous stores where cds get sold around that price and i think thats what the OP was asking about
At Best Buy, Pet Sounds retails at $15.99.
Once in a long while I find a good 9 dollar album but it's rare.
BeatlesFan3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #25
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $35721
Give Thanks: 316
Exclamation Re: Why are CDs so expensive these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan3287 View Post
...I'm not willing to pay 15 bucks for a single disc.

How do you feel about the outrageous prices of CD?
But CDs aren't outrageously overpriced these days! In fact recorded music is actually a tremendous value these days. Back in 1965 a stereo LP cost $3.00-$3.50. Meanwhile a concert ticket to see the Rolling Stones (when they were really fabulous) cost $5.50.

Going through the exercise of adjusting these 1965 prices for inflation using an objective index (i.e. one not derived from the government's figures which are based on some arbitrary and thus subjective basket of goods) is interesting. What we all carried around in our pockets in the early weeks of 1965 was pre-1965 dimes and quarters with a silver composition of 90%. Each quarter contained 5.625 grams of silver. At today's silver price of $24.61 per troy ounce or $0.7911 per gram, each pre-1965 quarter has a value of $4.45 today.

Therefore an LP priced at 13 quarters on 2 January 1965 would cost $57.85 in today's terms. A ticket to see the Rolling Stones priced at 22 quarters would cost $97.90 in today's terms.

Or just compare the $15 price of a Stones' CD these days to that of a Stones' concert ticket which costs a minimum of $130 with an average of about $375.

It's not CD prices but concert ticket prices that are outrageous these days and I'm now very reluctant to attend live concerts at those prices.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote