Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

View Poll Results: Why have the Rolling Stones not released any big hit singles for years?
Option A 6 19.35%
Option B 9 29.03%
Option C 2 6.45%
Option D 8 25.81%
Other. Explain. 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
rtbuck
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
They're still releasing a couple of singles off each album so... nothing's changed that way around, really.
I definitely agree with this They pushed the hell out of Voodoo Lounge when it came out(I think VH1 did a whole week of the Stones promoting the release, especially "Love is Strong" which along with "Out of Tears","You Got Me Rocking","I Go wild" all hit the charts in the Top 100). Same thing with 'Bridges to Babylon' which had a huge hit reaching #3 on billboard with "Anybody Seen My Baby"."Saint of Me" & "Out of Control" also hit the Charts. On their last studio album 'A Bigger Bang' they charted singles with "Rough Justice" & "Rain Fall Down".
rtbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $26554
Give Thanks: 257
Exclamation Re: Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop
They're still releasing a couple of singles off each album so... nothing's changed that way around, really.
What's changed though is that the Rolling Stones now release albums very infrequently. I count only three new studio albums since "Steel Wheels" in 1989.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbuck
They pushed the hell out of Voodoo Lounge when it came out(I think VH1 did a whole week of the Stones promoting the release, especially "Love is Strong" which along with "Out of Tears","You Got Me Rocking","I Go wild" all hit the charts in the Top 100). Same thing with 'Bridges to Babylon' which had a huge hit reaching #3 on billboard with "Anybody Seen My Baby"."Saint of Me" & "Out of Control" also hit the Charts. On their last studio album 'A Bigger Bang' they charted singles with "Rough Justice" & "Rain Fall Down".
Hmmmmm. Interesting. The problem may therefore be that I've been listening to classic rock or oldies stations exclusively since top forty hit stations play mostly abominable dreck these days (rap, Brittney Spears etc). As a result, I'm not up on which album tracks become charting "hits".

Last edited by Foxhound : 09-16-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #21
Flower

Silly Re: Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound
Would the big hits of the sixties be big hits today?

I believe that the Stones tunes are classics and would be even bigger hits if they were first released today.

Let's face it, if their tunes were first released today, the ground would've been broken by so many other artists, that the Stones would not even be deemed as the "bad boys" that they were in the sixties.

I believe that their music would be embraced today by multiple generations of listeners.

I also believe that the Stones have nothing to prove at this point in time and have no desire to "force" new tunes. Too many bands seem to feel that they must release x-amount of new music, often this "forced" production of new music is not up to the band's quality standards. I applaud the Stones for not coming under pressure to produce new albums.

I also admire them for not having the feuds that so many other bands have and that they can continue to tour after all these years.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I also believe that the Stones have nothing to prove at this point in time and have no desire to "force" new tunes.

I also admire them for not having the feuds that so many other bands have and that they can continue to tour after all these years.
Truth!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #23
BeatlesFan3287
Classic Rocker

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8133
Give Thanks: 58

Option B.

Teenagers today just want to shake their asses to mindless hip-hop.
God forbid they listen to something that has any artistic merit.
BeatlesFan3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #24
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Well some combination of options B and C seems to be the most telling explanation. I thought Living in a Ghost Town which the Stones released in late April was not just head and shoulders better than whatever else makes the Billboard Hot 100 chart these days but was on par with most of the Stones' better singles over the years:

Yet after great initial publicity and a hot start in which it reached #1 on the Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales chart, it got no higher on the overall singles charts than #61 in the U.K. and #106 in the U.S. It did though reach #1 in Germany, #2 in Scotland and #6 in Hungary and Wallonia. Yes, I'm confused by all the variance in the numbers as well.

Last edited by Foxhound : 09-16-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #25
dr wu
Dr Prog

Gameroom cash: $3002
Give Thanks: 14

Voted A but imho it's a combination of a and b
dr wu is offline   Reply With Quote