Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: Downloading = stealing?
Yes 13 35.14%
No 17 45.95%
I have a sad-ass excuse for why MY downloading isn't stealing - tick this box 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #73
tacobender44
Lost

Give Thanks: 0
Re: Downloading = stealing?

what about buying used music in general? i know plenty of people on here who buy cd's from amazon used or from used music stores, the artists aren't getting money anyway and its just going to go on to be ripped to the buyer's computer for the most part, whats the difference?
tacobender44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #74
Phantastico
Resident Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobender44 View Post
what about buying used music in general? i know plenty of people on here who buy cd's from amazon used or from used music stores, the artists aren't getting money anyway and its just going to go on to be ripped to the buyer's computer for the most part, whats the difference?
I recall a few years ago, in the early 90s I believe, the record labels came down hard on used CD retailers. They tried to impose a royalty fee on used CDs, even going so far as to threaten record stores who carried new and used CDs by manipulating their supply of new product or something like that (I could be wrong about that, but it got nasty. BlueMeanie may have the inside scoop on this).

The labels proposed a similar tactic in the 70s or 80s by demanding royalties on blank cassettes. Once again, they assumed everyone was buying cassettes specifically to record their music.

As for the proposed used CDs royalty, there was a major outcry from the retailers, and labels were heavily ridiculed for their greedy and avarice ways.

For one, they would be collecting double royalties on a single disc -- once for when it originally was sold as "new" and twice for when it was resold as "used."

Secondly, someone pointed out that if the record labels got a fee for resales of used goods, then what would stop other companies from demanding the same when their products were resold. It would be like Ford demanding a fee if you sold your used Mustang.

It's escapades like this that have stoked the flames of anger and resentment toward the record labels. As far as I'm concerned, they brought this all on themselves. And then they scratch their heads and can't figure out why the hell people are illegally downloading. A simple case of what goes around comes around.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #75
JohnDMcClane
John Noir Smith

My Mood:

I'd say that downloading is stealing, yes. I mean, these artists bust their arses off to make these albums, and pays lots of money for them, and then we go ahead and let like one person buy it while the rest of the world downloads it

I'm just here for the peanuts.

JohnDMcClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #76
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $34941
Give Thanks: 311
Exclamation Re: Downloading = stealing?

I voted "Yes". Quite simply I believe in intellectual (as well as other) property rights. "Life, liberty, property, the pursuit of happiness", these are my fundamental values.

I should however clarify a point as to what constitutes "copyright infringement" because most people don't seem to understand when and how a violation occurs. Two things are necessary for a violation:

1) The copying of an original.
2) The distribution of the copy.

Therefore if I copy an LP I own onto cassette or CD to play on my car stereo, no violation occurs because I made the copy for my personal use. If however I even lend the copy I made to another person, that constitutes distribution and is thus a violation of the law. No actual sale needs to occur. Distributing a copy in any way breaks the law.

If though I own a legally obtained LP, 8-track cartridge, cassette or CD, I am free to legally sell it or distribute it in any way. Quite simply if there's no copying involved, there's no infringement of copyright law. A person is free to dispose of their property as they alone see fit.

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote