Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [1] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: Which band do you prefer?
Dave Clark Five 5 83.33%
Herman's Hermits 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2021, 12:20 AM   #1
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $32017
Give Thanks: 293
Exclamation Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

Which of these great British Invasion bands do you prefer? Why?

Dave Clark Five

Herman's Hermits

Foxhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:33 AM   #2
Tkitna
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $2778
Give Thanks: 2
Re: Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

DC5 pretty handily for me

Tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #3
dwill123
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $4742
Give Thanks: 0

Dave Clark Five

Old 05-03-2021, 04:42 AM   #4
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $1930

I always scratch my head when this pair were considered great examples of the British invasion. They were both cheesy pop groups. Hardly in the same league as the great British bands that emerged during that era.
Black Night is online now   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to Black Night:
Old 05-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #5
kw21925
He's very clean, isn't he?

Location: In a laundromat, a million miles away as the crow flies

Gameroom cash: $3735
Give Thanks: 146

If I have to choose one, it's the DC5, but honestly, I haven't listened to either band in over 50 years.
Some people say tube sound is a smoky nightclub with a hot chick in a red dress, it’s a warm swimming pool in summer, glowing green against the purple twilight, it’s a . . . well, hell, you can’t really explain tube sound.
kw21925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
Joey Self
A Voice Of Reason
Guess Word Champion

Gameroom cash: $1598
Give Thanks: 1

I'll take the DC5; I have their double disc compilation and I think a single disc would have done it for my tastes. On the other hand, I don't have a comp of HH's, but I think I have an LP on the shelf. Couldn't tell you which one without looking at a discography, though.

[goes and looks at discography, since getting out of my chair to go look is too much trouble]

THE BOTH SIDES OF HERMAN'S HERMITS. I liked "My Reservation's Been Confirmed" but couldn't hum a note of a song I didn't know by another artist, like "Bus Stop."

JcS
Old 05-03-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Exclamation Re: Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Night View Post
I always scratch my head when this pair were considered great examples of the British invasion. They were both cheesy pop groups.
Whether you like it or not, it's still a fact that they were the two leading bands after the Beatles in the first eighteen months beginning January 1964 of the British Invasion of North America. Had you been in North America at the time or even taken the trouble to check the Billboard hit charts from 1964 to early 1965, you wouldn't find their exemplary status at all surprising:

In fact on the strength of five straight singles making the top five on the hit charts (at least in my handy CHUM Chart Book) between April and August 1964, the Dave Clark Five even rivaled the Beatles' in popularity in North America until about the spring of 1965:

I still remember a phone-in poll conducted by my local Top Forty station CHLO in 1964 matching the two bands against each other which the Beatles won by a margin of only about 65% to 35%.

Meanwhile Herman's Hermits had two #2 hits followed by two #1 hits between November 1964 and May 1965.

Any later accounts that you might have read that jump immediately from the Beatles to the Rolling Stones as leaders of the first wave of the British Invasion are naught but historical revisionism. While the Stones were already the second most popular band after the Beatles in the U.K. in 1964, they didn't stake that claim in North America until (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction was released in June 1965. Time Is on My Side was the Stones only top ten single (actually #6) in the United States in 1964. (Although Time Is on My Side didn't manage to make CHUM's chart at all, Heart of Stone made it to #1 on the CHUM chart in March 1965.) Quite simply the Stones weren't even among the top five British Invasion bands in North America (behind Gerry & the Pacemakers, the Animals, the Kinks and perhaps even the Searchers as well) until the spring of 1965 when they really got rolling.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Exclamation Re: Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

I rank my favourite songs by these two bands as follows:

1. Over and Over - Dave Clark Five (tie)
1. No Milk Today - Herman's Hermits (tie)
3. There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World) - Herman's Hermits
4. Everybody Knows (You Said Goodbye) - Dave Clark Five
5. Dandy - Herman's Hermits
6. Silhouettes - Herman's Hermits
7. This Door Swings Both Ways - Herman's Hermits
8. I'm Henry VIII, I Am - Herman's Hermits
9. Catch Us if You Can - Dave Clark Five
10. Because - Dave Clark Five

Herman's Hermits gets the decision and therefore my vote.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
dwill123
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $4742

Just a side note. One of my favorite British comedies was 'The Vicar of Dibley' (it ran on and off from November, 1994 to January 1, 2007). One of the funniest characters on the show was actor Trevor Peacock. If you know the show he played Jim Trott (the guy who always answered a question with, "No, No, No, No, YES". Sadly he recently passed away on March 8, 2021. To my surprise while reading his history I discovered that he wrote the song "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter". This song went to #1 in the United States in May 1965. R.I.P.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 AM   #10
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Whether you like it or not, it's still a fact that they were the two leading bands after the Beatles in the first eighteen months beginning January 1964 of the British Invasion of North America. Had you been in North America at the time or even taken the trouble to check the Billboard hit charts from 1964 to early 1965, you wouldn't find their exemplary status at all surprising:

In fact on the strength of five straight singles making the top five on the hit charts (at least in my handy CHUM Chart Book) between April and August 1964, the Dave Clark Five even rivaled the Beatles' in popularity in North America until about the spring of 1965:

I still remember a phone-in poll conducted by my local Top Forty station CHLO in 1964 matching the two bands against each other which the Beatles won by a margin of only about 65% to 35%.

Meanwhile Herman's Hermits had two #2 hits followed by two #1 hits between November 1964 and May 1965.

Any later accounts that you might have read that jump immediately from the Beatles to the Rolling Stones as leaders of the first wave of the British Invasion are naught but historical revisionism. While the Stones were already the second most popular band after the Beatles in the U.K. in 1964, they didn't stake that claim in North America until (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction was released in June 1965. Time Is on My Side was the Stones only top ten single (actually #6) in the United States in 1964. (Although Time Is on My Side didn't manage to make CHUM's chart at all, Heart of Stone made it to #1 on the CHUM chart in March 1965.) Quite simply the Stones weren't even among the top five British Invasion bands in North America (behind Gerry & the Pacemakers, the Animals, the Kinks and perhaps even the Searchers as well) until the spring of 1965 when they really got rolling.

I know they had huge success, but I still dont understand why, because they were not very good. The timing was right for them, because whenever some giants of rock/pop appear, a bandwagon follows where very ordinary groups get success on the coat tails of the genuinely good. It happens with every phenomenon.

Over here in the UK, anyone formed in Liverpool was suddenly in the spotlight after The Beatles, and most sunk without trace in a couple of years.

When punk emerged, every new group tried their hand at it, had short term success, and disappeared.

No British acts had ever had success in the US before The Beatles, and based on them, there was a clamour for more.

The great bands of that era are still held in esteem, but who knows more than a handful of songs from this pair who timed it right?

It was very bizarre, even to the extent that The Who toured with Hermans Hermits, and opened for them. I dont think anyone who likes their rock music would ever consider the pair to be in the same league.
Black Night is online now   Reply With Quote