Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: Choose one option
Yes 9 39.13%
No 11 47.83%
Maybe 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $32007
Give Thanks: 293
Exclamation Re: Is rock in good shape today? Simple yes or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
If it was in "good shape' we would not be having this debate it would be obvious.
Good point!

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #20
hodad

Gameroom cash: $28591
Give Thanks: 164
Re: Is rock in good shape today? Simple yes or no.

hodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
hightea
your opinion which is of no consequence at all
Administrator
Lateral Collateral 2 Champion, Airport Champion, Sudoku Omega Champion

Gameroom cash: $1379
Give Thanks: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
Quote:
If it was in "good shape' we would not be having this debate it would be obvious.
Good point!

no its not it's called misinformed and stuck in the past.

Top Concert Pictures of 2016

CRF2 10 Years of Live Music!
hightea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

While it's true that many of us may be stuck in the past (perhaps even the very distant past), it doesn't necessarily follow that we're misinformed or incorrect on this particular issue. Check out this thread:

https://www.crf2.com/showthread.php?t=47724

Physical music sales are way down. I see that as a bad thing for musicians, and thus music.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #23
the roser
Actually....

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $1058
Give Thanks: 8

Quote:
While it's true that many of us may be stuck in the past (perhaps even the very distant past), it doesn't necessarily follow that we're misinformed or incorrect on this particular issue. Check out this thread:

Physical music sales are way down. I see that as a bad thing for musicians, and thus music.

Because as everyone knows, before physical sales of recordings were possible, there was no music. I'm too busy listening to new music to get bogged down in this stupid conversation again. If you want to stick your head in the sand be my guest.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #24
hightea
Administrator

Quote:

Yeah another silly article although I agree streaming is the wave of the future and the future is now. What would be alarming is if stream music was down. But its not its way up and in many forms that the music industry can't even keep up with the count and the projections for the future.

Secondly, Muscians make money in other ways now not by records sales. Go look it up.

Music festivals sell out and have added dates not taken away dates.
If kids are so not interested in music why is this happening? They are the ones going to these festivals and its not to see washed up older acts although festivals like to add a few of those to get other people there.

I'm sick of this argument by a bunch of people who don't listen to new music, don't attend music events, don't know people in the music industry and talk to them about these silly articles. I mention these sill articles to friends who are in the industry and they laugh!

Finally, in the 70's there was only 3.7 billion people in the world most without and source to hear music. Today there are 7 billion and plenty more able to hear music. Sure maybe a smaller % of people listen to rock but a smaller % on double the amount of people. Rock is played around the world not just in a few small circles of the world like it was in the 70's. I was in Peru last year and my friends cousins wanted to know about new rock music and actually knew a few bands, their parents never listed to rock music and never even heard of the Rolling Stones or The Who and barely knew about who the Beatles were.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk with these comments, but its something I've been researching for over 12+ years when I joined this site and these articles were coming out back then. People where coming on here and claiming rock is dead now for over 10 years and I've been to over 800+ shows since then and very little of those shows were old time 70's and 80's rock bands. Also have multiple friends and friends of friends in the music industry.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #25
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea View Post
Secondly, Muscians make money in other ways now not by records sales. Go look it up.
I don't have to look anything up. I already know that concert ticket prices are now many times the price of CDs while back in 1968 concert ticket prices and LPs were about the same. But I'm not convinced that's a good thing though. Big time concerts aren't accessible to all. And the quality of the universally available compressed digital files provided through streaming and the like isn't up to that of CDs. Most people of course don't care though....

Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roser View Post
Quote:

Because as everyone knows, before physical sales of recordings were possible, there was no music.
Well there was no rock music, and that's the question that's being asked. And do you deny that the availability of the revenue stream generated by physical sales wasn't of key importance in rock's explosive growth from the fifties onward?

Quote:
I'm too busy listening to new music to get bogged down in this stupid conversation again. If you want to stick your head in the sand be my guest.
But not too busy to put your brain in neutral and respond with a condescending remark. Don't forget that I'm very capable of responding in kind. If that's the way you want to continue, be my guest. I'm more than willing to play.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #27
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have to look anything up. I already know that concert ticket prices are now many times the price of CD's. Back in 1968 concert ticket prices and LPs were about the same. But I'm not convinced that's a good thing though. Big time concerts aren't accessible to all. And the quality of the universally available compressed digital files provided through streaming and the like isn't up to that of CDs. Most people of course don't care though....

Sure concert prices are higher but you can still see bands for free (summer shows in plenty of cities) or up and coming bands for $10. I'm going tomorrow to se the band No (along with two other acts) for $12. It's not about concert prices its about are kids and 20 year olds listening to new music and starting rock bands. For the past 15 years I keep hearing that rock is dying and the young kids are no longer caring or listening to new rock music. Its just not true.

I agree about the sound quality but expect that to continue to get better, although most people don't care. Although the return of the vinyl is an interesting development. I was at a show a few weeks ago and was surprised to see two girls in their teens buying three vinyls each (one from each band that played).

If rock is dying explain how SXSW festival keeps growing.
It just ended last week there was over 2200 bands playing over 100stages. This festival just 5 years ago was half the size? You all brag about the 70's the golden age of rock. Where was the festival that had 2200 bands? Or coachella which grows every year and is now two weekends? Or CMJ Music festival in NYC which also grows every year? Or Boonaroo or the two festivals in Washington State?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #28
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
You all brag about the 70's the golden age of rock.
Don't toss me in with the "all". I'm more of a 1964-1969 guy myself. But I also have an open mind on this subject since I really don't have any kind of vested interest in the "health" of the music business. So long as I have new and used record and CD stores to haunt and concert venues in moderate price ranges, I'm happy.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
You all brag about the 70's the golden age of rock.
Don't toss me in with the "all". I'm more of a 1964-1969 guy myself. But I also have an open mind on this subject since I really don't have any kind of vested interest in the "health" of the music business. So long as I have new and used record and CD stores to haunt and concert venues in moderate price ranges, I'm happy.

yes I know your more a 60's guy! Love 60's music too I'm well rounded even more today since I got my hands on my brothers 2000 albums from the 60's in the past 7 or 8 years.

which is why I'm telling you not to believe these silly articles. I've got the proof too and just trying to let people know like yourself who might not realize how the music industry works now (not about album sales although my friend who is a successful musician states he would like to make something thru album sales). I know are at least interested in the fact that kids still care about rock music!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #30
butch
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 31

Quote:
Quote:

Because as everyone knows, before physical sales of recordings were possible, there was no music. I'm too busy listening to new music to get bogged down in this stupid conversation again. If you want to stick your head in the sand be my guest.
And I am too busy listening to new actual country songs with fiddles and washboards so its not dead either.

Nobody is suggesting there are not rock acts still working. We are suggesting that the rock culture is no longer mainstream and no longer a major influence on society. The same thing happened to disco in the 80s. It was still there - but it existed the shadows of society. Rock now lives in the shadows. Heck it cant even compete with twerking Disney bimbos who dont have a drop of musical talent.

If this were the 50s - 90s this debate would be very different. In fact we would think it was silly. Listening to all the garage bands you can handle does not mean rock music is as healthy of a genre as it used to be. Its not dead but its been relegated to the shadows.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #31
hightea
Administrator

Quote:
Heck it cant even compete with twerking Disney bimbos who dont have a drop of musical talent.

If this were the 50s - 90s this debate would be very different. In fact we would think it was silly. Listening to all the garage bands you can handle does not mean rock music is as healthy of a genre as it used to be. Its not dead but its been relegated to the shadows.
So rock was in the shadows when Disco was big in the late 70's?

I equate your Disney Bimbo's idea with Disco of the late 70's. Yeah a big % of pop culture was about disco just like today its about Pop music today. However, to think rock, then or even now, is not making up a good chunk of the music industry is just not true. Now if you want to strip it down to certain types of rock (Heavy Metal, hard rock) you might have a point but I don't consider rock to be a small subgenre of just one style of rock.

Yeah rock has at times had a say in fashion and society but its never been on a yearly basis and isn't now. However, the hipster trend of the 00's is a great example of modern fashion trends and lifestyle. I might not wear, drink or eat what the hipsters preach but its absolutely a big trend.

Also funny I was reading how 1990's rock fashion is back in style for spring 2014.

https://www.fashionising.com/trends/b...ies-72800.html

Movies and tv shows still use plenty of rock.

By the way where is this big festival of pop rock where 100,000's of people are gathering every year?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #32
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Also funny I was reading how 1990's rock fashion is back in style for spring 2014.
Interesting. I didn't realize there had been any changes in fashion since the early 1980's, other than the emergence of baggy pants crowd of course....

Old 03-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #33
APageMark
Like acid & oil on a madman's face
Pinch Hitter Champion, Find The Suspect Champion, Bombardier Champion, Elite Base Jumping Champion

Gameroom cash: $17848
Give Thanks: 211

What a great band name. Twerking Disney Bimbos.
APageMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #34
Deja Vu
Master of Magnetism

Gameroom cash: $3559
Give Thanks: 23

Quote:
You say that now, when the 70s, 80s, and 90s have come into the canon. But in reality, when those decades were new, they absolutely were not considered synonymous with good rock, yet. Except by fans of modern music.

As soon as The Beatles came around and rock started changing, there were people decrying the loss of the "true" 50s rock n roll. By the start of the 70s you had critics claiming rock and roll was dead and this was the death knell. The 80s, glam, metal, and synth music were looked down upon by the older generation. The 90s, we still have plenty of people right on this board who will tell you the rock died at the start of the 90s.

Fans of modern rock today are in the same position as fans of grunge, metal, 70s prog & hard rock were in their time. I see no reason to believe it'll be any different in 20 years. What was new today will be accepted into the canon just as much as Red Hot Chili Peppers or Nirvana. It's happened a dozen times before, it seems nearly inevitable.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
hightea
Administrator

[quote=Foxhound;1199089]
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I didn't realize there had been any changes in fashion since the early 1980's, other than the emergence of baggy pants crowd of course....

-that says it all.

hey in the early 00's I was in this so called NYC hipster trend scene but I was still wearing 70's clothes. I was the odd ball Although throw on an old 70's concert tee and an old flannel shirt and I fit right in!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #36
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by APageMark View Post
What a great band name. Twerking Disney Bimbos.
I'll take two, but not for their "music"!